Error

Ryan314

Ok so heres the deal. My sisters computer is a dell dimension 4600, i re installed windows several times on it, and after a few weeks -2 months of use it randomly gets an error and wont start windows every time. The error comes up so fast and closes that we cant read it so we just decided to snap a pic.

The pic is attached.

If anyone knows what could be causing this error it would be very helpful. I noticed it said something about the boot file so i went into the windows install and repaired the boot file. Didnt do anything.

Keep in mind this happens EVERY TIME i re install windows. After a few weeks of use.

Thanks in advance.

That's a new one to me.

I found a little info from Microsoft:

CAUSE

1.The file system is damaged and cannot be mounted.

2.You use a standard 40-wire connector cable to connect the UDMA drive to the controller instead of the required 80-wire, 40-pin cable.

3.The basic input/output system (BIOS) settings are configured to force the faster UDMA modes.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555302

Seems to be a ton of info on Google HERE

Did you undo all hardware before installing windows except mouse and keyboard?? That is what I was told to do.  :grin2:

Ok I was slow but I did read this in your pic.  :wink2:

Undo all the hardware? Ive never heard of this. There is no aftermarket parts in her computer its totally stock. Im not sure if your referring to aftermarket or the actual stock hardware?

Yeah it looks like there are a couple main culprits.

Hardware (disk failure) or Cable problem.

Windows XP needing to be updated to install critical patches.

I would run checkdisk, or if you are in Windows; Go to My Computer, choose the drive with the OS on it, and them right click the drive, hit Properties, then Tools, under error checking click Check Now.

This will take a while to run.

Yeah it looks like there are a couple main culprits.

Hardware (disk failure) or Cable problem.

Windows XP needing to be updated to install critical patches.

I would run checkdisk, or if you are in Windows; Go to My Computer, choose the drive with the OS on it, and them right click the drive, hit Properties, then Tools, under error checking click Check Now.

This will take a while to run.

I cant get on to my desktop.. thats my main problem. I did check disk from the repair option on the install and its working now.

Ryan314,

I got the same exact error as you did. This error popped up earlier today out of nowhere and then it shut down my computer. My computer is an HP DV9000T and is only 2 weeks old. If you or anyone else finds out what the problem is or how to fix it, please post the solution. Thankyou

I tryed doing fixboot one more time for the hell of it, ive done it time and time again. and dont you know it worked.  :grin:

still gotta figure out whats causing this -.-

oh another question about that computer. Every time it restarts, or we turn it on and off. The color quality automatically resets to 8bit, when it should be 32bit, of course i know its the graphics card so i installed the latest drivers but it still does it. Any ideas?

I tryed doing fixboot one more time for the hell of it, ive done it time and time again. and dont you know it worked.  :grin:

still gotta figure out whats causing this  Any ideas?

I have had some similar problems in my earlier learning years, I still am. I found that the hard drive can work fine and then mess up at any time. I now use the manufacturers software to check several before I reload the system. It's all a process of elimination. Personally I'd go with another drive first, it can always be used as storage or in storage.  :undecided:

Ryan314,

If you recall, I said in an earlier post that I was getting the exact same error message. Well, I contacted my computer manufacturer and they found the problem. It is a problem with the start up programs. Go to START then RUN and then type in MSCONFIG. Go to the start up tab and only check off the programs that are absolutely essential to running your computer; anti virus, spyware, network connection, ect.. This fixed the problem for me. Hope this helps.

Ryan314,

If you recall, I said in an earlier post that I was getting the exact same error message. Well, I contacted my computer manufacturer and they found the problem. It is a problem with the start up programs. Go to START then RUN and then type in MSCONFIG. Go to the start up tab and only check off the programs that are absolutely essential to running your computer; anti virus, spyware, network connection, ect.. This fixed the problem for me. Hope this helps.

Awesome, thank you very much ill go try it now.  :smiley:

Ryan, if you haven't already, also swap out the HD cable with a new one...I had a very similar problem a few years ago.  I would get random blue screens, and sometimes the pc wouldn't boot up, or would give me weird errors about my HD.  Eventually it started to just reboot itself constantly....I would just unplug/replug the HD's, and everytime, the pc worked for like a week...Finally I realized that the HD cable was bad.  I swapped out the old cable, and the pc never had a problem again.

Cables are cheap, and it's always good to have a spare one around anyway.  :wink2:

Ryan, if you haven't already, also swap out the HD cable with a new one...I had a very similar problem a few years ago.  I would get random blue screens, and sometimes the pc wouldn't boot up, or would give me weird errors about my HD.  Eventually it started to just reboot itself constantly....I would just unplug/replug the HD's, and everytime, the pc worked for like a week...Finally I realized that the HD cable was bad.  I swapped out the old cable, and the pc never had a problem again.

Cables are cheap, and it's always good to have a spare one around anyway.  :wink2:

Ill keep that in mind, thanks voltage man. Im also going to try using a new hard drive in it for a month or two. See if it continues the problem.  :smiley: