hughesnet at 4 kb/s!?!

eddielovelace

Here's my download test score info:

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Download Connection is:: 760 Kbps about 0.8 Mbps (tested with 748 kB)

Download Speed is:: 93 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Server 2)

Test Time:: 2006/11/25 - 4:10pm

Bottom Line:: 13X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 11.01 sec

Tested from a 748 kB file and took 8.063 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: May need help : running at only 71.5 % of your hosts average (direcpc.com)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-XU48N37F2

User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 1.0.3705; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; Media Center PC 4.0) [!]

This looks pitiful enough, but frankly, I'd be HAPPY with a consistent 90 kB/s. What has been happening is that my downloads will start at around 80 kB/s and gradually slow until, about 5 minutes after the download has started, I'm downloading at 4 kB/s.

I first noticed this on Rhapsody during music downloads. Now I'm trying to do some serious downloading from VONGO but it's useless.

Am I being rationed or something? Does anybody know what is happening?

Thank you for any assistance.

Thanks for the welcome.  :wink2:

Here's more info: This comes up more and more frequently while I'm at my 4 mB/s network crawl:

Suspected Recent Satellite Link Outage (Error 506)

The satellite link was operating properly up until the most recent web page request, but the last request could not be successfully sent across the satellite link to the DIRECWAY Network Operations Center. Possible causes for this include recent changes in weather conditions or equipment problems in the DIRECWAY Network Operations Center. Retrying the web page may correct the problem.

Good grief.

Welcome to the forum eddielovelace  :wave::welcome:

I don't know anybody here except campers and such that would not trade their satelite set up in for just about anything else. I know I am patiently waiting for DSL to come around the corner.  :grin2: Did I say patiently...well maybe for now.

It does always beat dial-up.  :grin2: I assume you are on the 7000 modem?

I have seen the Satellite link error while not being under FAP...when this happens its only last a second or two usually, would assume thats an issue at the NOC.

The FAP or Download Threshhold depends on which account you have, if you are on the home plan, it may be worth the few extra bucks to upgrade to a pro account. Heres the chart for FAP and Hughes fair access policy

Here's my download test score info:

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Download Connection is:: 760 Kbps about 0.8 Mbps (tested with 748 kB)

Download Speed is:: 93 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Server 2)

Test Time:: 2006/11/25 - 4:10pm

Bottom Line:: 13X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 11.01 sec

Tested from a 748 kB file and took 8.063 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: May need help : running at only 71.5 % of your hosts average (direcpc.com)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-XU48N37F2

User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 1.0.3705; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; Media Center PC 4.0) [!]

This looks pitiful enough, but frankly, I'd be HAPPY with a consistent 90 kB/s. What has been happening is that my downloads will start at around 80 kB/s and gradually slow until, about 5 minutes after the download has started, I'm downloading at 4 kB/s.

I first noticed this on Rhapsody during music downloads. Now I'm trying to do some serious downloading from VONGO but it's useless.

Am I being rationed or something? Does anybody know what is happening?

Thank you for any assistance.

Hi and wellcome eddielovelace,

Try downloading SP1a  from Microsoft , this should give a good  indication of speed for a large 125 Mb file ,  I get 249Kb on a 2 Mb dsl conection  from the UK 

Hi and wellcome eddielovelace,

Try downloading SP1a  from Microsoft , this should give a good  indication of speed for a large 125 Mb file ,  I get 249Kb on a 2 Mb dsl conection  from the UK 

not sure what this would have to do with FAP or satellite connection speeds, and if he has a home account FAP at 175 would not waste it on a test file of 125MB  :shocked:.....will take 12hours or more for FAP to lift

* in general sat users do not have DSL available....thats why we are using a sat  :grin2:

not sure what this would have to do with FAP or satellite connection speeds, and if he has a home account FAP at 175 would not waste it on a test file of 125MB  :shocked:.....will take 12hours or more for FAP to lift

* in general sat users do not have DSL available....thats why we are using a sat  :grin2:

Me neither fikester l :lol: I dont even know what FAP is, I was just sugesting

trying to download SP1 to get a record of the final speed of the download , as that would be more in line with a music download , than a test of a few Mb ,

12 hours for FAP ? to lift  , lol and I thought 56k dial up was slow  :evil6:

:shock:  :oops: Sorry guys just noticed I am in N.A. providers , Why ? I did not tick for notification on this thread , please delete my posts  if you wish ,

Regards

Roco  UK

P.S. I just googled Fap =

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FAP

well I guess you sat guys get lonely  :wink2:,................ :evil6:

This FAP stuff is becoming very archaic in an age where so much informaiton is now available that is much larger in size than a web page. Music and video services abound, and I'm going to get shut down when I've received 170 MB of information? Three years ago this would have been a lot of info. Today it's a drop in the bucket.

There is so much of what is available online that our household cannot take advantage of because of this policy. Worse, the FAP describes a person who attempts to use these services as "abusive". I'm considered "abusive" because their satellite bandwidth is inadequate or the arbitrary limits they've imposed by their rate plans is obsolete.

This FAP stuff is becoming very archaic in an age where so much informaiton is now available that is much larger in size than a web page. Music and video services abound, and I'm going to get shut down when I've received 170 MB of information? Three years ago this would have been a lot of info. Today it's a drop in the bucket.

There is so much of what is available online that our household cannot take advantage of because of this policy. Worse, the FAP describes a person who attempts to use these services as "abusive". I'm considered "abusive" because their satellite bandwidth is inadequate or the arbitrary limits they've imposed by their rate plans is obsolete.

Welcome to the forum. FAP is a way to keep some from, I guess it could be called hogging. How would someone know how much they are downloading when it becomes so easy. As mentioned, Satellite is usually only used by someone who only can get dial-up and it's a whole different game than broadband. I for one don't even have a phone line including cable, gas or water from outside. I have electric, a good well and a open sky. Well what it does boil down to if you want a bigger bucket, like anything else more money. To find out about your modem use this link http://192.168.0.1/ . Look in the system info. As to what plan, what is your cost per month?