my speed

tidelover

You know. I really do not know what running at 23,000 Kbps would really be like. It really boggles the mind. One thing I do know, by being on satelite I do not have far to fall if things go wrong. I am not really that far ahead of dial-up.  :icon_shaking:

Just get a friend in the inner city to run you a 20 mile ethernet cord to your house!  :2funny:

Danged grandpa. Nice read.

"The final result was a full 11 Mbps data transfer rate over a distance of 125 miles, a new world record for an unamplified wireless networking connection."

Now that would work for me. That looks like an old sat dish they used  to use. Now that would pull through a storm.  :thumbsup:

You know when I first joined I asked about using one of those old dishes, and they said the speeds would not be as good as the smaller one. But that it wold pull through a storm better. What do you think grandpa. They aren't that hard to find really. Or expensive. And ice would be no problem.  :grin2:

Satelite, not wireless of course.

You know when I first joined I asked about using one of those old dishes, and they said the speeds would not be as good as the smaller one. But that it wold pull through a storm better. What do you think grandpa. They aren't that hard to find really. Or expensive. And ice would be no problem.  :grin2:

Satellite, not wireless of course.

Tommie,

Sorry I  didn't get right back, I lost a few hours on the couch and I can't remember what I was watching on TV. As you probably know the speed we cannot change much at all because of the distance for a complete trip, 22,000 up and 22,000 down with the satellite loop plus the terrestrial loop. The bigger the dish the more gain and I believe it is the similar with the transmitter, more wattage=stronger signal, not faster, so it can punch through easier and carry farther. Another for networking; http://www.cs.cornell.edu/w8/%7Eeckstrom/802.11a/primestar/ .

I think a big dish could be used and probably almost eliminate rain fade but the larger the dish the tougher to focus and the cost to a system being sold would probably add another $2000 minimum for equipment. Now you also would be going from a offset to a prime focus dish. My only experimentation right now is boosting my signal. As I recall from my 4000 that any time the receive signal was lost the transmit wouldn't work. The basis of networking, both ends must communicate. Email me, I have some thoughts on this.

You know. I really do not know what running at 23,000 kbps would really be like. It really boggles the mind. One thing I do know, by being on satelite I do not have far to fall if things go wrong. I am not really that far ahead of dial-up.  :icon_shaking:

Who's your ISP tommie?