Moving..... AT&T DSL?

gotmilk

Well, I'm moving to an apartment within the next week or so (long story).  If my apartment is wired for AT&T phone service, does that mean, assuming I'm within the right distance from the CO, that I can get AT&T DSL even if the apartment manager doesn't say they "support" it?  Otherwise I'm stuck with the same crappy 3/256 cable connection I have now. 

Well, I'm moving to an apartment within the next week or so (long story).  If my apartment is wired for AT&T phone service, does that mean, assuming I'm within the right distance from the CO, that I can get AT&T DSL even if the apartment manager doesn't say they "support" it?  Otherwise I'm stuck with the same crappy 3/256 cable connection I have now. 

Whats wrong with that cable company?!  How can they call that cable..thats more like average DSL  :-|

Well, with AT&T you can get the 6/608 package for $27.99/month for the first year and they 3/256 package I have now with the local cable company is $29.99 a month.  Double the download and more than double the upload for less (at least for the first year).

They probably don't have any competition.

Correct you are.  Their only competition is, in fact, AT&T.

Well, with AT&T you can get the 6/608 package for $27.99/month for the first year and they 3/256 package I have now with the local cable company is $29.99 a month.  Double the download and more than double the upload for less (at least for the first year).

Correct you are.  Their only competition is, in fact, AT&T.

Better speeds for less, can't beat that!

Grrrr, my mom is making excuses to stay with POC Conwaycorp (the crappy cable company) when I've made it clear to her that AT&T is the better choice (and it is).  One of her excuses is that she wants to keep her e-mail address because that's where everybody knows to e-mail her, including businesses.  Is there a way to remedy that problem?    She said no matter what I tell her, she doesn't want to switch right now because she already has too much going on (and she does have a lot going on), but it wouldn't be much trouble to switch.  At least she said maybe after things get settled down we can switch.  Oh well.  :sad3:

Grrrr, my mom is making excuses to stay with POC Conwaycorp (the crappy cable company) when I've made it clear to her that AT&T is the better choice (and it is).  One of her excuses is that she wants to keep her e-mail address because that's where everybody knows to e-mail her, including businesses.  Is there a way to remedy that problem?    She said no matter what I tell her, she doesn't want to switch right now because she already has too much going on (and she does have a lot going on), but it wouldn't be much trouble to switch.  At least she said maybe after things get settled down we can switch.  Oh well. :sad3:

Call the crappy cable company  :haha:, and ask them if it is possible to keep your current email adresses.

Grrrr, my mom is making excuses to stay with POC Conwaycorp (the crappy cable company) when I've made it clear to her that AT&T is the better choice (and it is).  One of her excuses is that she wants to keep her e-mail address because that's where everybody knows to e-mail her, including businesses.  Is there a way to remedy that problem?    She said no matter what I tell her, she doesn't want to switch right now because she already has too much going on (and she does have a lot going on), but it wouldn't be much trouble to switch.  At least she said maybe after things get settled down we can switch.  Oh well.  :sad3:

if you kept the cable for a month or two and got AT&T you could setup a auto foward for her email address just just foward her email to a new address.

Oh, well that's good.  Anyway, my upload speeds on this node aren't as good as they were on the node where I was before I moved.

:::.. testmy.net test results ..:::

Download Connection is:: 2976 Kbps about 2.98 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)

Download Speed is:: 363 kB/s

Upload Connection is:: 237 Kbps about 0.2 Mbps (tested with 386 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 29 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net (Server 1)

Test Time:: 2006/12/02 - 4:49pm

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-UD9MOE8XT

U-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-TZCYNUA7S

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.8) Gecko/20061025 Firefox/1.5.0.8 [!]

About 15-17 Kbps lower.  :sad3:

Oh, well that's good.  Anyway, my upload speeds on this node aren't as good as they were on the node where I was before I moved.

:::.. testmy.net test results ..:::

Download Connection is:: 2976 Kbps about 2.98 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)

Download Speed is:: 363 kB/s

Upload Connection is:: 237 Kbps about 0.2 Mbps (tested with 386 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 29 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net (Server 1)

Test Time:: 2006/12/02 - 4:49pm

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-UD9MOE8XT

U-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-TZCYNUA7S

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.8) Gecko/20061025 Firefox/1.5.0.8 [!]

About 15-17 Kbps lower. :sad3:

woo a whole 15 k!!! lol

15kbps is only 2kb/s i dont think your going to notice it.

Maybe not on his connection, but on satelite you would.  :evil6: Remember I only get 50 to start with. He did lose 1/3 of my U/L.

Or dial-up. You know, I think cholla was the only one who posted in dial-up in a long time. At least since ROM-DOS disappeared. I wonder if the aliens got Rommy.   :asmile: