My connection is down more than up, is this normal?

jkubik

I have had Direcway/Hughes since Feb 2006. For the first month or so it seemed to be better than dial-up. Now I have lost patients with it. It seems that every time I try to surf the net it gets worse and worse. I get suspected satellite outage messages at least 5-10 times during a 1 hour session on the Internet. I have been keeping track of my problems since July 19th and during the past month my connection has failed everyday. And when it does work it is very slow. Here is the result I got right before posting this message.

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Download Connection is:: 521 Kbps about 0.5 Mbps (tested with 579 kB)

Download Speed is:: 64 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Server 1)

Test Time:: 2006/11/29 - 10:25pm

Bottom Line:: 9X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 16 sec

Tested from a 579 kB file and took 9.11 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: May need help : running at only 48.83 % of your hosts average (direcpc.com)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-C0IT2WLM9

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1) Gecko/20061010 Firefox/2.0 [!]

This is the best speed I have had in days. Usually I just give up and use my dial-up connection. I am paying for Pro service with a DW7000. I have noticed that when my connection doesn't work or is real slow if I look at the transmissions info page on my DW7000 I get about 3-5 failed transmissions per second.  I have tried Hughesnet support but have gotten nowhere. Can anyone help me?

Have you restarted the modem lately. Or defragged the harddrive. Or ran the disk clean up? I would try those first.  :grin2:

Also test with the 2992 file test instead of the smart test when posting speeds. It will be more accurate, and easier to tell what is going on.   :wink2:

Also welcome to the forum  jkubik  :wave:  :welcome:

Thanks for the reply. I restart the modem almost everyday. I am meticulous about computer housekeeping. I run Diskeeper 10 Pro and have it set to defragg the harddrive everyday. It is not my computer I can assure you that.

Call your ISP.  Make them work for you (you are paying them, after all, no?).

I have called my ISP and I get to talk to someone I can barley understand and usually get disconnected after about an hour. :angry:

jkubik,      :welcome: 

I guess you talking about your call being disconnected. I have waited a good 45 minutes before going to the next level. You need to do speed tests on this http://customercare.myhughesnet.com/ and after running one do two more retests, they all will be recorded with Hughes. You'll need to put in your site ID found here http://192.168.0.1/ under system info. I have had my DW7000 since Feb 2006 also. Hughes will only recognize their site for troubleshooting. My recent testing on this site during the heavy traffic hours for me are;                     

November 29th, 06:59PM - 742/133 kbps

November 29th, 06:57PM - 929/135 kbps

You should ask for a case number shortly after they have reviewed your case in case you get disconnected, you then have some proof. But post your speeds here to get some help, we speak English here.

First thing you need when dealing with Hughes customer service is a wireless speaker phone or headset for your home phone system........as you will be on hold for a long long time!

If you want Hughes to call you and get directly to a support person who can actually talk to NOC... file a calim with  the BBB

This sounds like a standard case of "transmitter not grounded".  If you get these types of problems while surfing for a little while, then they go away when you stop, then start again.  It sounds like static buildup in the modem. 

Is your dish accessible?  Is it on a pole, or the roof? 

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/2626

Pay attention to the top right graphic.  If there isn't a copper wire going from the screw labeled "GND" on the transmitter to the ground, then that is most likely your problem.

This is a very common problem, because for some reason (read with a hint of sarcasm), many Hughes installers don't find it necessary to ground the transmitter.

Here is a typical test result when my connection is working normally with signal strength 87. I also listed the transmission info below. I rebooted my DW700 about 10 minutes ago.

TRANSMISSION INFO

Transmitter ready. (TxCode 8)

Number of Successful Transmissions 771

Number of Failed Transmissions 2867

Number of Packets Submitted for Transmission 530

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Download Connection is:: 274 Kbps about 0.3 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)

Download Speed is:: 33 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Server 1)

Test Time:: 2006/11/30 - 8:51am

Bottom Line:: 5X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 31.03 sec

Tested from a 2992 kB file and took 89.375 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: May need help : running at only 25.68 % of your hosts average (direcpc.com)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-8VU3CIW4F

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1) Gecko/20061010 Firefox/2.0 [!

Of course I got this error (Suspected Recent Satellite Link Outage (Error 506)) when I tried to post this message.

I have rebooted and it took 10 minutes to finally be able to post this.

ALSO,

if you can look at your dish, look to see if there is water in your feedhorn.  There was a manufacturing defect which allows water to leak into it.  It will cause MASSIVE transmit failures also.  Check it out.

Please check your grounding as well.  You may save yourself a lot of headache...

That's basically what I did.  Some people preach covering the holes back up with sealant, or taking the thing apart to let it dry.  But cmon, people have used dishes like this for years with no feedhorn cover at all.

Not sure why anybody would cover the holes back up with sealant. Logic would tell you to leave them open. And the hole at the top is to let air in.

I remember when I first posted doing it someone told me I would have it full of bugs.  :evil6: Not yet.  :grin2: The holes are too small.

• 4 weeks later...

On water in the feedhorn. I took a small sewing needle and poked one little hole at the top and one at the bottom. Enough to allow the water not to sit in it. I have had no troubles in over a year since.  :grin2: Be careful, just be gentle.

My LNB window was the same way....the problem is the seal is bad, the proper way to fix it is replace it with a new one. After replacement mine is bone dry year round in all weather conditions. With a new replacement the lens will have no moisture or water on the inside! Now the outside grey plastic shroud is not needed, but the plastic eye for the transmitter is best kept moisture free. Its kind of like a sealed halogen headlight on your car......would you drill holes in it then wonder why the bulb burns out often or the lens is discolored and not as bright. Guess it wont mater if it sets in the garage in a controlled environment. Just as the plastic outside covers, if Hughes could eliminate cost of production by elimination of unnecessary parts......really would they be in the box? This part is easily replaced with a few common tools. This alone will affect your signal by at least a few points...if not more. Another obvious clue it should be there....if not needed to save a service call why don't all installers just cut them out when performing an install?  :icon_scratch:

Great patch, too many reasons not to get it fixed right....myself had read about so may others hole poking honestly wasn't sure if the new one would stay dry. Personally i would use a piece of 4 or 6mil plastic or freezer bag cut to overlap the eye....then use a zip tie or rubber bands to hold in place before I would use the cut, drill and forget it method  :idea: