How can i make my cpu run at full speed alll the time??

h2haxor

At rest, my AMD Athlon 3400+ has the speed of 991MHz-1.01GHz(as shown by the first picture)

when i "burn" my cpu it runs at the max speed of 2.2GHz

what i want to know is how can i set my bios or whatever i set to get it to run at 2.2GHz all the time. Thanks in advance

-H2haxor

Cool 'n' Quiet is a feature in AMD Athlon 64 that reduces the working frequency and Vcore when the processor is not under heavy load in order to lower the heat dissipation. This feature has never appeared in desktop CPUs before, though it has been used in mobiles to save on battery power for a while under the name PowerNow! for AMD and SpeedStep for Intel. The power saving is quite significant - examples are shown in this post. When combined with an intelligent thermal fan control mechanism (either built into the motherboard or external to it), C'n'Q can be an quick and easy way to make a quiet, very powerful PC. It also reduces electricity consumption, a worthy cause in our age.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article172-page1.html

I will add my 2 cents on this one I guess..  As you have discovered it is a technology called Cool n Quiet..  The reason for this is to keep the case/cpu cooler and the overall computer quieter during operation by using a variable speed fan.  That being said some tasks like running office, burning cds, etc dont require the full processor speed.  There would be no speed increase that you would see if you were to disable Cool n Quiet.  The CPU is querying system load up to 30 times a second to see if it needs to go faster to meet the demand of the system..

Athlon 64 3500+ has four power states/levels at which the CPU can operate -- 2.2GHz @ 1.5V, 2.0GHz @ 1.4V, 1.8GHz @ 1.3V, and 1.0GHz @ 1.1V.

Those are the Cool N Quiet values for the 3500+..

I will add my 2 cents on this one I guess..  As you have discovered it is a technology called Cool n Quiet..  The reason for this is to keep the case/cpu cooler and the overall computer quieter during operation by using a variable speed fan.  That being said some tasks like running office, burning cds, etc dont require the full processor speed.  There would be no speed increase that you would see if you were to disable Cool n Quiet.  The CPU is querying system load up to 30 times a second to see if it needs to go faster to meet the demand of the system..

Those are the Cool N Quiet values for the 3500+..

Yea thats the name! i couldnt think of it. Thanks swimmer.  :smiley: