HD TV and DVD movie problem

pitbull481

ok i have a 32 in lcd (widescreen) and about 90% of my movies are widescreen. why do i see blackbars at bottom and top? Also,  when i see HD movies, it covers the whole screen which looks very sharp. is there any way i can convert my dvd collection to hd dvd?

you get the bars because your moved are 16:9 and your tv is 16:10 or the other way around.

If you have "pan and scan" on your DVD player, or your TV, I think that will spread it back out..  Otherwise, like Dlewis said, the format doesn't match your TV

pan and scan is done when they render movie. to get rid of the bars you would have to zoom in on the dvd player its a little bit different then pan and scan

I have that EXACT same player.. please trust me you don't want it. And as far as your question no, nothing will get you rid of those bars aside from zooming the picture which you don't want. No you wont be able to convert your DVDs to HDDVD and even if you could it wouldn't be worth it. I would say buy a HD DVD player or BLURAY (expensive) and start buying all new media on that format.  :grin2:

I have that EXACT same player.. please trust me you don't want it. And as far as your question no, nothing will get you rid of those bars aside from zooming the picture which you don't want. No you wont be able to convert your DVDs to HDDVD and even if you could it wouldn't be worth it. I would say buy a HD DVD player or BLURAY (expensive) and start buying all new media on that format.  :grin2:

Not exactly shug if you get a really good upscaling DVD player with a really good video processor its hard to tell the difference between the dvd and hddvd. Personally i wouldnt wast my time with a hddvd or bluray payer right now because they just flat out suck.

I completely disagree about the new formats sucking. They look nice IMO. And yea if you get a nice upscaller you can do ok but why pay all that money for it? It still not high def, it cant get that much better. If the original pic only has 480 lines of resolution you can upscale it all day long but your not gaining much. When I look at the crap they show at Best Buy with their expensive upscalers I just dont think its worth it. Put BB upscaled crap by some true HD and there is no comparison. Sony has a NICE upscaler out but it runs about 1500 bucks. I would rather just get ready for the next gen, its gonna be HD DVD or Blu Ray one, might as well take the plunge. Guess it is all personal preference. I have about 10 HD channels and there is a HUGE difference between the crap CBS or HBO upscales and a true HD football game on ESPN. BIG difference.

I completely disagree about the new formats sucking. They look nice IMO. And yea if you get a nice upscaller you can do ok but why pay all that money for it? It still not high def, it cant get that much better. If the original pic only has 480 lines of resolution you can upscale it all day long but your not gaining much. When I look at the crap they show at Best Buy with their expensive upscalers I just dont think its worth it. Put BB upscaled crap by some true HD and there is no comparison. Sony has a NICE upscaler out but it runs about 1500 bucks. I would rather just get ready for the next gen, its gonna be HD DVD or Blu Ray one, might as well take the plunge. Guess it is all personal preference. I have about 10 HD channels and there is a HUGE difference between the crap CBS or HBO upscales and a true HD football game on ESPN. BIG difference.

the new formats suck because the players suck and the transfers from film stock to the disk sucks. they may look good but if you saw a real good transfer from true HD to HD you would be like fucken damn that looks good.  They are not putting the time into the transfers right now so they are only about 1/2 as good as it should be.

the new formats suck because the players suck and the transfers from film stock to the disk sucks. they may look good but if you saw a real good transfer from true HD to HD you would be like fucken damn that looks good.  They are not putting the time into the transfers right now so they are only about 1/2 as good as it should be.

i notice a big difference in detail with HD DVD as i have a 1080P tv and it plays in that format with HD DVD and  IT LOOKS AMAZING  :shock: :shock:

i notice a big difference in detail with HD DVD as i have a 1080P tv and it plays in that format with HD DVD and  IT LOOKS AMAZING  :shock: :shock:

:iamwithstupid: It is amazing, best tech available obviously. I think what D is saying is they are not doing it AS WELL as they could be. I think that will come with time though.

:iamwithstupid: It is amazing, best tech available obviously. I think what D is saying is they are not doing it AS WELL as they could be. I think that will come with time though.

that is exactly what im saying. it could and should be 100 times better. on alot of movies you see alot of film grain. ive only seen 2 really good moves on hddvd or bluray Apollo 13 and the 5th element, all the other movies look like crap.

all moves that are shot on film or by a 4444 camera are HD. Film is actually super high res something like 30,000 lines of resolution i forget the exact #. 

Well then WTF, why is there such a huge difference in older movies transfered (mid 90's) to the ones shot recently? I must investigate, I would think the HD cameras would offer some advantage or they wouldnt use em.

Well then WTF, why is there such a huge difference in older movies transfered (mid 90's) to the ones shot recently? I must investigate, I would think the HD cameras would offer some advantage or they wouldnt use em.

there is a difference because over time the film stock degrades and they have to go and restore it. They are not doing that. there have only been 2 moves that i know of that have been shot with a HD camera that does not use film, starwars episode 3 and sin city. The advantage is you can get amazing special effects and CG using a 444 camera, the disadvantage is it is only 1080p and will never be higher.