Problem with adding 1GB of ram to computer

h2haxor

my computer currently runs with 2x256pc3200 ram in DC.

i attempted to add a stick of 1GB that is pc2700 and all i get when i boot is my fan running crazy and a beeping noise.

tech support said the 1gb stick speed was 533mhz but pc2700 is 333mhz : they said it was a compatability problem...

i have a compaq presario(don't hate me, i'm poor :<)

any help is welcome :haha:

my computer currently runs with 2x256pc3200 ram in DC.

i attempted to add a stick of 1GB that is pc2700 and all i get when i boot is my fan running crazy and a beeping noise.

tech support said the 1gb stick speed was 533mhz but pc2700 is 333mhz : they said it was a compatability problem...

i have a compaq presario(don't hate me, i'm poor :<)

any help is welcome :haha:

Have you tried the 1GB stick on it's own ?  not a good idea to mix memory speed , sorry don't know much about the Compaq,  so so more details might help ,( model , fsb, CPU , etc ) try the crucial memory advisor , enter the computer description and see what the motherboard supports ,

It could be a bad stick of memory , I had that before,

I got the feeling the techie is right , compatibility ,

P.s.  h2haxor you aint poor  :lol: look at your bb speed  :lol:

now you wana see poor  750/250Kb now thats dirt poor  :evil6:

Have you tried the 1GB stick on it's own ?  not a good idea to mix memory speed , sorry don't know much about the Compaq,  so so more details might help ,( model , fsb, CPU , etc ) try the crucial memory advisor , enter the computer description and see what the motherboard supports ,

It could be a bad stick of memory , I had that before,

I got the feeling the techie is right , compatibility ,

P.s.  h2haxor you aint poor  :lol: look at your bb speed  :lol:

now you wana see poor  750/250Kb now thats dirt poor  :evil6:

my comps max speed is pc3200 it can take 4GB's(4 sticks of 1gb or 2 sticks of 2gb) the advisor said pc2700 should work :S

the mobo is asus a8n-la

its just a continual mono tone beep same speed....

no boot screen.

Is that with the 1Gb stick ? and is it ok with just the original 2x256's in

normaly you get 4 bleeps with a memory compatability , although this varies with diferent motherboards

Try to lock your memory @ 333MHz in Bios, instead of 400MHz, and try the one stick...

Are you sure you are populating the right slot, and is the ram Double-Sided(the 1 gig stick) ?  It took me forever to figure it out, but my Asus board requires you to use Double-Sided ram if the module is over 512mb.  My Asus board is also very particular on what which slot I use if I only use one stick, and it won't allow 3 sticks...Only 1, 2, or 4 sticks..Not 3..This is not an error either, it is just how the board is...It says it in the manual where it tells you which slots to populate.  It does not have anything for 3 ram chips, only 1,2, and 4.

Check the manual under memory, and see if there is a chart for recommended ram...See if it says "DS" next to ram chips 512mb and over...

I remember upgrading a compaq somewhere around a year ago, and I *believe* it wouldn't let me put just 1 stick in, I had to put the second in as well. Definately appears that 2700 should work, 3200 would be "optimal" but the 2700 should at least boot if there seated correctly. A buddy of mine didn't get his snapped in all the way and got the beeps.

I believe your motherboard requires that you run it in dual channel mode.  You have to use two sticks of the same size.  Get another stick of 1GB memory (preferably from the same manufacturer).  My friend has an HP that is the same way.  He has to use two stick of the same size.

Good luck,

Shane Davenport

Update: I just looked up your motherboard and as I suspected it requires the memory to run in dual channel.

I believe your motherboard requires that you run it in dual channel mode.  You have to use two sticks of the same size.  Get another stick of 1GB memory (preferably from the same manufacturer).  My friend has an HP that is the same way.  He has to use two stick of the same size.

Good luck,

Shane Davenport

Update: I just looked up your motherboard and as I suspected it requires the memory to run in dual channel.

[/quote

I dont know about that. Ive never seen or heard of a motherboard requiring that you run in dual channel mode for DDR ram. that was the way with RD-Ram but not DDR

Okay dude, you really need to try the suggestions here.

first, try the 1G stick alone.  Does it work?

If it doesn't, it's incompatable or bad.  Return it to the store, if it does work, then keep it in without the original ram.  YOU SHOULD NOT MIX RAM!  Espeicially if the RAM is of different speeds.

If it's incompatable, perhaps you should take it somewhere to have the ram installed.  If your system is capable of PC3200, then it must have a newer celeron or Hyperthreading P4 processor.  Yes, PC2700 should work in these computers too, but it will slow everything down.