need some motherboard advice.....

intense

I have to replace my motherboard. Its something I have never done before. I am debateing on how to do it. Should I do it myself or pay someone else. The only thing that worries me is my cpu, and screwing it up. I have a bad dimm slot and the motherboard is still under warranty. The place I got it from will exchange or credit my account, which is fine because I will be getting my video card from them anyway. Here is my game plan and sure could use any and all imput. Thank you all. I don't have a floppy but will make sure I have the bios to flash it on cd before I start.

1. The motherboard is on a removable tray so getting to it is super easy.

2. I will buy the same exact motherboard,

3. I have a diagram to the motherboard. I will tag each wire with a number and on the diagramm make sure I put the number of the wire that  goes to that slot.

4. Will take a pictue before I start takeing it apart just to help in case.

Am I missing anything?  The motherboard itself is close to a hundred bucks. Its not that expensive. Just seems pointless to ship the whole computer back. Shipping would be probally atleast 100 bucks.

Hi intense , have a read of this http://www.motherboards.org/articles/guides/35_1.html

most connectors only fit one place , but labeling them +pics is a good idea,

the CPU/heat sink /paste , is the tricky bit for the first time , don't force anything , and take antistatic precautions ,

I am not actually sure on your bios bit , that should be set ok on the new board (maybe at default setting ) look out for jumpers on the board ,

it should come with documentation ,  

Thank you for the article. That will help. I do still have the documentation for my current motherboard. It will be replaced with the same exact motherboard. While I could send it in. I have no desire to send the entire computer and have to wait 2 or 3 weeks for it to come back. Not to mention the hassle of getting it packaged and to the ups store.

After reading what you guys had to say and reading Im positive I am gonna tackle it. I will order it soon. I think It will be a cool learning process. Just use some common sense, take my time, read as much as possible before tackling it. I just thank goodness I got the tower with the removable motherboard tray. That will help TONS!! Thank you all much. I apreciate it.

Thank you for the article. That will help. I do still have the documentation for my current motherboard. It will be replaced with the same exact motherboard. While I could send it in. I have no desire to send the entire computer and have to wait 2 or 3 weeks for it to come back. Not to mention the hassle of getting it packaged and to the ups store.

you dont send the whole computer you just send the motherboard. and it will usially take a week to get it back once you send it.

After reading what you guys had to say and reading Im positive I am gonna tackle it. I will order it soon. I think It will be a cool learning process. Just use some common sense, take my time, read as much as possible before tackling it. I just thank goodness I got the tower with the removable motherboard tray. That will help TONS!! Thank you all much. I apreciate it.

Good luck , looks like your starting with the right outlook and giving it some serious thought , after you have done that one you will say that was easy ,  :lol:

20+ puter builds on I can still remember the first one :icon_pale:, yeah it went OK , and I aint lost one yet   :evil6: keep us posted on how it went !

P.S. dont forget to get some CPU paste , I did and lost a day getting some ,