Connecting without a Subscription.

I was at my brother's house last night and asked him how much he was paying for his internet, he said that all he did was plug in a cable modem he purchased from bestbuy and hooked it up.  He called comcast to get subscribed, while he was on hold he started getting acitivity on his modem so he shut the phone and has had the fastest speeds comcast offer.  He hasnt been send a bill in 3 months.  He subscribes to Comcast cable but no internet.  Whats up with that? 

I guess hes just very lucky and comcast screwed up!

:smiley: I guess its not a problem, its their mistake its not like he did something to get free internet so if it was me.. i wouldnt say nothing to them and enjoy the free internet haha.

Edit: but if its their mistake, idk how they can charge him for it. I mean what if someones phone went out while they were talking , thats not their fault right?

And what if the person didnt realize they werent being charged. I mean if they charge him the price of the highest package thats unfair because what if he didnt even tell them what package he wanted, for all they know he wanted the lowest end package.

Idk swimmer knows more than i do but IMO its their fault.

They will catch it..  I am kinda surprised that the MAC address is cleared for their network...  My guess is that once the network is audited it will be caught and either he will be billed or charged with stealing service..

he got a used modem. so the mac address was already in the comcast system and they never removed it. I had it happen when i was on adelphia. They will catch on eventually. But then yet its been 6 months and i still have free cable tv so the cable companies aren't the smartest tack in the book.

he got a used modem. so the mac address was already in the Comcast system and they never removed it. I had it happen when i was on adelphia. They will catch on eventually. But then yet its been 6 months and i still have free cable tv so the cable companies aren't the SmarTest tack in the book.

I had free cable for 4 years lol with comcast.  There was something wrong with my neighbor's cable and they had a tech come out and fix it, I guess he fixed me free cable for 4 years.

• 1 month later...

pretty much what I was trying to say is that...They will try to charge you for how long you had the service..You wont get in trouble for it unless you refuse to pay. No matter if you play dumb and said "I thought I just had to buy the modem and plug it in". They will still charge you regardless.

• 1 month later...

Yeah an account number helps.. but depending on how Comcast has their network setup.. it could all be based upon MAC addresses.. so.. if the MAC address is already in the network.. then you could potentially leach..

hey swimmer i was wondering if a mac address is registered then can you use the modem anywhere in usa? or just a particular state? I think we can use anywhere :D

You will be caught eventually.  Like any other cable company, they do audits at set times every week/mo.  They all go around checking out people's services from their taps.  And yes they can track your usage from the first second you plugged your modem in.  They can see how much time you spent online/offline, and can postrate you if they choose to, it's perfectly legal.

And no you can't leech just because your MAC address is registered with a cable/telecomm... The tech who set up your service most likely fucked up and added internet to your service, or it may possibly be a promotion they forgot to mention.

Check your bill out closely and check.  I don't know if comcast does it, but ive heard of verizon, turner, and pacbell postrating people for stolen internet service.  One guy got slammed since he was stealing bandwidth for nearly 3 years.

My advise to you is to call Comcast up, and tell them that you noticed on your bill recently that you weren;t being billed for internet, but you have access, and ask if there is a promotion you could take advantage of.

If you come clean on your own, and play dumb I don't think any cable/telecomm company would slap you.