Shocking computer "repair"

Swimmer

Your better off getting someone YOU know personally to fix your compuer, as long as you know someone. But i mean for some people a computer repair store is the only way. Like say a 70 year old woman who has a computer but is all alone in this world, then it breaks... She cant fix it unless she has knowledge of computers. So i mean in certain cases a computer repair store is necessary, but you gotta keep an eye out. Get oppinions from other repair shops as well i guess.

Unfortunately, this happens in just about every service field you can think of...

I've seen guys sell people $7,000 worth of A/C equipment, when all that was needed was a $40 transformer...

Anytime you bring anything in to be repaired, unless you know what is wrong with it to begin with, you are pretty much at their mercy...

yeah i saw that via digg

shocking indeed but happens every where in the world man

my friend who worked in a summer job in a pc shop in portugal

he said it was the same thing, they pulled that crap all the time just to make money

only one shop is honest

they need more people like us here helping out users

I actually almost got fired for not being dishonest...I finally quit the job because they wanted me to sell stuff that people didn't need, and they knew it..Basically they wanted me to find the actual problem, fix it, then replace another part(that they knew was in perfect working order).  :flipa:

Fortunately, I found an honest shop, where I could go and repair things, most times without even having to replace any parts, just labor.  We got many referals because of that fact.  Most business owners were surprised how many times I would repair the units without using a single part...In my experiences, many problems are ones either caused by faulty install, faulty/loose wiring, dirt, and insect/animal...I've actually seen a earwig get stuck inside a contactor, spider webs inside relays, rats biting through wires, etc...

damn that sucks

they charge my uncle $90 to put in a gig of ram

Thats just to put it in

The ram stick was $250

i was like wtf????

u dumbass

Im #16 in my are accrding to Skills usa Meitnace division

I live 5 miles from you

and you go and pay $90 for something that took 2 seconds to do

i was like i could have bought and install a ram stck for $150 almost $200 less

and i would had made at least a $60 profit

cause a one gig stick is only like $75 here

i have never charge more than $50 to repair a computer

Yep, family is that way sometimes Dark06. My step dad (remember I am 47) thinks I am too young to know anything about computers. I suggested ditching Norton for AVG.  :uglystupid2: He went and installed Norton. He is strictly on Social Security for an income. So go figure.

It is hard to help family.  :wink2: Really. Even for free.

Other things also, but that is enough to get the idea.

Yep, family is that way sometimes Dark06. My step dad (remember I am 47) thinks I am too young to know anything about computers. I suggested ditching Norton for AVG.  :uglystupid2: He went and installed Norton. He is strictly on Social Security for an income. So go figure.

It is hard to help family.  :wink2: Really. Even for free.

Other things also, but that is enough to get the idea.

Family always will think that your taking advantage of them for some reason

Family always will think that your taking advantage of them for some reason

I think its the other way around, most people dont want family's doing work for them a. because they know the person will give a discount and would feel bad taking the right amount of money. and b. if something goes wrong, its gonna be akward and can lead to fights in the family which sucks lemme tell u.

I think its the other way around, most people dont want family's doing work for them a. because they know the person will give a discount and would feel bad taking the right amount of money. and b. if something goes wrong, its gonna be akward and can lead to fights in the family which sucks lemme tell u.

I hear that.

this post doesn't supprize any of us. Heck , At a clients house last week , he told me he had  "a geek squad" .eehhhmmm, replace a hard drive , about six months ago, I looked at the bill and it was for over  $ 400.00 . yeah and they put a 20 gig in.  They must have had a used one on the shelf, as far as i know, it's been a while since they made the 20 's. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I hear that.

this post doesn't supprize any of us. Heck , At a clients house last week , he told me he had  "a geek squad" .eehhhmmm, replace a hard drive , about six months ago, I looked at the bill and it was for over  $ 400.00 . yeah and they put a 20 gig in.  They must have had a used one on the shelf, as far as i know, it's been a while since they made the 20 's. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Now that is truly sad. Probably one of the worst I have heard.  :angry:

Yeah i Saw This one Lady Paid $150 for a windows 2000 key

im like arent those all over the internet

BTW her computer came with windows xp

but the idiot would not put xp

because he thought 256 mb of ram was not enught to run it

(not That it was gonna b slow but that the installation would not happen under 256 mb )

i seen computers run it with 96 mb of ram

so he charge her 150 to get a 2000 key and 75 to install it

im like wtf you can probably get a new cheap ass emachine pc with that much money