My weird problem

reno

Okay this is my weird problem, whenever my internet is downloading a large file for a long period of time my internet just dies, all the lights stay on the modem it just doesn't work, to get the internet working agian I have to unplug the modem and restart it. I think its the modem I am just not sure.

Okay this is my weird problem, whenever my internet is downloading a large file for a long period of time my internet just dies, all the lights stay on the modem it just doesn't work, to get the internet working agian I have to unplug the modem and restart it. I think its the modem I am just not sure.

First off let me adress your new sig, I LOVE it. The animated one is GREAT. Second off I had this happen to me before and I thought it was my modem too. I couldnt just reset the modem I had to unplug it and leave it that way for at least 5 minutes. My problem was they were upgrading internet in my area. It took me a couple days to figure it out and the behavior continued for a week. I would start off by calling your ISP.

• 2 weeks later...

most cable modem drop-off's are the result of a blocked or delayed ICMP-Echo requests, usually caused by a firewall or router setting. Problems will include:

-Difficulties with DHCP lease acquisition or renewal in cases where the DHCP server checks on the availability of IP addresses, or your presence on the network, with ICMP ping requests

-Slowness of web connection setup in cases where the remote web server uses ICMP to determine the MTU of the response path.

..resulting in dropped connections.

Windows XP has a built-in firewall that by default blocks ICMP Echo. You should uncheck this feature, also, if running Zonealarm or other similar program, or if using a Router- Disable the Block WAN Request feature.

Hope This helps-

JxL