My Smart Bro (Wi-fi) internet connection speed

overboost

@overboost

i wish elijahpaul will reply.. i want to change the settings..

here's my result

::::::::::.. Download Stats ..::::::::::

Download Connection is:: 205 Kbps about 0.2 Mbps (tested with 386 kB)

Download Speed is:: 25 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Server 1)

Test Time:: 2007/02/07 - 4:15am

Bottom Line:: 4X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 40.96 sec

Tested from a 386 kB file and took 15.421 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: May need help : running at only 62.5 % of your hosts average (243.121)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-G3L7586EB

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.9) Gecko/20061206 Firefox/1.5.0.9

damn slow!  :cry:

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok fren17,

before i teach you anything, i want you to know that i won't be responsible for any damages this may cause you.. ok? (if your canopy gets broken they will replace it with a new one anyway.. :evil:)

okay here it is..

1. Go to Control Panel, select Network Connections, find your Smart Broadband connection (LAN or High-speed internet) and right click on it.

2. Click Properties, on the General tab, find the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and highlight it(usually at the bottom of the list). Click Properties.

3. Under the General tab, select Use the following IP address and enter the following data in their respective properties:

IP address: 169.254.3.3

Subnet mask: 255.255.0.0

Then click OK.

4. Open your browser (Internet Explorer, FireFox, Opera) and input this address on the address bar: 169.254.1.1

There you go!  :cool:

By the way, if you cannot access your canopy software after following these steps, then your  canopy MS is probably blocked. I used a default plug to unblock it, but it's kinda hard to make one.. i'll post the pix some other time.. :smiley:

this has been my fastest so far..  :smiley:

68830263.png

Good work elijahpaul!!

I was able to access mine.

Here's my speed just now:

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Download Connection is:: 394 Kbps about 0.4 Mbps (tested with 1013 kB)

Download Speed is:: 48 kB/s

Test Time:: 2007/02/07 - 6:48am

Bottom Line:: 7X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 21.33 sec

Tested from a 1013 kB file and took 21.07 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 122.6 % faster than the average for host (243.81)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-ZUGJTECMH

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.1) Gecko/20061204 Firefox/2.0.0.1 [!]

good for you overboost..  [nerd]

fren17, you need to buy a CAT 5 cable (category 5) and a 6-pin RJ-11 connector that looks exactly like that of the phone line except it has 6 wires in it (the phone line usually requires 2-4 pins only). If you're lucky enough to find one RJ-11 6-pins, then you'll be able to unblock it.. but i highly doubt you'll find one.. unless you go around a lot of electronics hardware stores.. you can never find it in ACE, Do-It-Yourself Shop, or other mall-based hardwares.. try to find one in SOS or those chinese electronic hardware goodies outside malls(i found mine there).

well, good luck in finding one! you'll need it!  :grin:

ill try that cFosSpeed.. can you pm me your contact number? if it's okay.  :angel:

uh.. let's try not to get into that..  :smiley:

This override plug resets the LAN 1 IP address to 169.254.1.1. The plug allows the operator to access the module through the default configuration without changing the configuration. The operator can then view and reset any non-default values.

Acquiring the Override Plug

To fabricate an override plug

1. Install an RJ-11 6-pin connector onto a 6-inch length of CAT 5 cable.

2. Pin out all 6-pins.

3. Short (solder or twist together) Pins 4 and 6 on the other end. Do not connect any other wires to anything. The result should be as follows:

Pin 1 → white / orange ← Pin 1

Pin 2 → white / green ← Pin 2

Pin 3 → white / blue ← Pin 3

Pin 4 → green ← Pin 6

Pin 5 → blue ← Pin 5

Pin 6 → orange← Pin 4

here's how you should number your RJ-11 6-pin socket..

rj11.jpg

Using the Override Plug

The operator can regain access to the module as follows:

1. Insert override plug into the RJ-11 GPS sync port of the module.

2. Apply power to the module through the Ethernet cable.

RESULT: The module reboots with the default IP address of 169.254.1.1, password fields blank, and all other configuration values as previously set.

3. Set passwords as desired.

4. Change configuration values if desired.

5. Save the settings.

6. Remove the override plug.

7. Power cycle the module.

there.. sorry i can't include pics right now(maybe some other time).

hope that helps.. :cool:

@elijahpaul

ok.. im learning..

1. Install an RJ-11 6-pin connector onto a 6-inch length of CAT 5 cable.

2. Pin out all 6-pins.

3. Short (solder or twist together) Pins 4 and 6 on the other end. Do not connect any other wires to anything. The result should be as follows:[/qoute]

can you elaborate this part?? and how to use the override plug.. where should i plug it? what module? haha sorry my smart bro was just installed yesterday..  :smile2:

lol u even made your own pic!  [nerd]

okay..

1. You are going to buy a CAT 5 cable and an RJ-11 6-pin separately, what i mean here is that you connect the wires inside the CAT 5 cable into the RJ-11(which took me a couple of hours by the way :buck2: ). It will look exactly the line your using on your land phone.

2. Pin out all 6 pins means you have to connect the 6 little wires from the CAT 5 cable into the little pins of the RJ-11.. you'll get it when you buy an RJ-11 and try to connect it.. it's really hard to explain without the pictures.. sorry but my dad and sister are using our 2 digicams. :undecided:

3. Short means to place together or twist together, with the metal of the wire overlapping each other.. So this means that Pins 4 and 6 should be touching each other at the other end of the cable(not the end with the RJ-11 installed).. enough said.. :smiley:

OK, if you finish fabricating your plug, read the next steps on how to use it which i posted a while back.

You will plug the cable inside your canopy. Go to your roof, check your Canopy and look for the part that will make the bottom part come off (press and pull it.. it's at the back of the canopy).. Now check it out: there are two plugs.. the left socket is already occupied with your cable to your computer.. Place the override plug at the right RJ-11 socket.

If your Smart BRO was installed yesterday, then i assume that you're using a Motorola Canopy already.. if not, then this tweak is not for you.. :cheesy:

this is how a Motorola Canopy looks like:

canopy-1.jpg

Pin 4 → green ← Pin 6 <-- confused

Pin 5 → blue ← Pin 5

Pin 6 → orange← Pin 4 <-- confused

281922409l.jpg

is this right?

that's correct.. anyway, i've posted the real pic of it on my previous post.. just so u know.. :smiley:

Pin 1 → white / orange

Pin 2 → white / green

Pin 3 → white / blue

Pin 4 → green ← Pin 6        short with PIN 6

Pin 5 → blue

Pin 6 → orange← Pin 4        short with PIN 4

sorry for the confusion.. :cheesy:

RJ-11 pin is like the telephone line plug right? but RJ-11 have 6 gold pins while the normal telephone line has only 2 gold pins? so when i finish putting the CAT5 wires into the RJ-11 pin where should i put the other end? pin 4 and 6 will be twisted together and what about the rest? should i leave them hanging?

408621800l.jpg

like this?

hello guys...i'm also a smart bro subscriber

well elijahpaul i saw your post with a pic of your canopy configuration page...i think we have a different canopy configuration page...do we have a different version or my canopy is old?

btw here is my canopy

Software Version: CANOPY 7.2.9 Jul 23 2005 01:49:03 SM-DES

lol thanks..  :grin:

is this the one your talking about overboost? i changed it just now and here's my result..

i used to have 150 Kbps.. i will post here the results after the "tweak"..

canopy.jpg

look at this edited banner of Smart Bro.. lol  :2funny:

smartbro7xl.gif

RJ-11 pin is like the telephone line plug right? but RJ-11 have 6 gold pins while the normal telephone line has only 2 gold pins? so when i finish putting the CAT5 wires into the RJ-11 pin where should i put the other end? pin 4 and 6 will be twisted together and what about the rest? should i leave them hanging?

408621800l.jpg

like this?

you're correct about the RJ-11. yes you should leave them hanging and make sure nothing touches them.

hello guys...i'm also a smart bro subscriber

well elijahpaul i saw your post with a pic of your canopy configuration page...i think we have a different canopy configuration page...do we have a different version or my canopy is old?

btw here is my canopy

Software Version: CANOPY 7.2.9 Jul 23 2005 01:49:03 SM-DES

i'm not exactly sure.. can you post a pic of your canopy config page?

anyways, even your version is older, you can still tweak it.. :smiley:

@elijahpaul

ok got it! last question.. when i plug it on the canopy, ill just go to 169.254.1.1 and the settings would be there?

ok, first you have to unplug the power source of the canopy, then plug the override plug..

no, you still have to follow the steps i mentioned previously regarding the IP thing. then you can go to the 169.254.1.1 address.

here's a screenshot of my config page...

also here's my testmy.net results

Download Connection is:: 141 Kbps about 0.1 Mbps (tested with 386 kB)

Download Speed is:: 17 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Server 2)

Test Time:: 2007/02/07 - 9:04am

Bottom Line:: 2X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 60.24 sec

Tested from a 386 kB file and took 22.5 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: Looks Great : 0.71 % faster than the average for host (181.82)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-CPWU204MD

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.5) Gecko/20031007 Firebird/0.7 [!]

@pusakal

your connection is very slow. you really need to tweak your canopy software.

also, try a bigger file to  warm-up your connection then post your speed again.

here's mine just now using using the large file.

Download Connection is:: 385 Kbps about 0.4 Mbps (tested with 1013 kB)

Download Speed is:: 47 kB/s

Test Time:: 2007/02/07 - 9:55am

Bottom Line:: 7X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 21.79 sec

Tested from a 1013 kB file and took 21.551 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 117.51 % faster than the average for host (243.81)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-FAH0IOUMV

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.1) Gecko/20061204 Firefox/2.0.0.1 [!]

userbar303881od7.gif

here it is with a larger file

Download Connection is:: 228 Kbps about 0.2 Mbps (tested with 1013 kB)

Download Speed is:: 28 kB/s

Test Time:: 2007/02/07 - 10:29am

Bottom Line:: 4X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 36.57 sec

Tested from a 1013 kB file and took 36.36 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 57.24 % faster than the average for host (181.82)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-EYPDZHWQ5

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.5) Gecko/20031007 Firebird/0.7 [!]

what tweaks do i need to do can you help me? my connection is good when it's 1am upto 9am but it's so slow afterwards. is there a way i can maintain a good connection so that i can leave my pc on so that i can finish my downloads in torrent when i go to school?

@ pusakal

Try doing the procedures elijahpaul posted on this thread. Make sure that you have the Motorola Antennae. If you can open your canopy software, first click on "configuration" then find the tab "QOS (Quality of Service)" and click then right below you will see "sustained uplink" and "sustained downlink data rate" (smart bro default is 250 kbps). You can increase this to 500 kbps (sorry thats the maximum). After that click "save changes" then click "reboot"

By doing the above procedure your download and upload speed will increase in the 350-400kbps range (look at my speeds that I posted). If your Canopy software is set to 500kbps already then you need to call customer service and complain about your slow connection. Technicians will go your place the next day and they will look for  another site that may improve your speed (less jitter).

userbar303881od7.gif