Holiday Cooking

water

I know lots of people have potlucks and stuff for work and family for the holidays. I thought it would be fun to post some of the side dishes (or main dishes) people might make.

I have a potluck at work Tuesday, and I was chatting with Aggr3 about what to take. One of the things I was thinking of was creamed corn with whole corn mixed in and some sauted diced red and green bell peppers thrown in. That way the creamed corn would keep it liquid but not runny.

Well, I went to get a couple small things for xmas gifts because I had a couple of coupons for Borders. (who had a really great deal as well - buy 4 and get the fifth free...) and I found a slow cooker book. It had some really great recipes in it, and I found one to take to work. I'm also going to take another - which isn't new, but I'll share it anyway.

So please, post some recipes that you have for holiday side dishes, maybe someone like me will try them out! :D

Swiss Corn Casserole:

3 cups frozen corn, thawed

1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) Swiss Cheese, shredded

1 cup heavy cream

2 large eggs, lightly beaten

Dash pepper

Combine all the ingredients in a sprayed slow cooker, mixing well. Cover and cook on LOW 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until set in the center. Serve right away, or keep hot until serving time. Makes 6 to 8 servings.

*must be served hot as the cheese has a tendency to cool off really fast and separate from the corn. It doesn't affect the taste, but it will not be as smooth.*

I haven't tried this before, and I a going to double it, so I will estimate an added hour of cook time.

Baked Beans and Bacon

2 cans (31 ounces each) pork and beans

1/2 cup packed brown sugar

2 teaspoons dry mustard

1/4 cup ketchup

1/2 cup "Grandma's Dark Molasses" (any dark molasses will work - but this is the best to use in my area of the world)

8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled

Drain off most of the liquid from the top of the beans. Place in slow cooker with everything except the bacon. Cover and cook on low 5 to 6 hours. If beans are more liquid than you like, cook on high for an additional hour. Add bacon the last 30 minutes of cooking time. Makes 10-12 servings.