(1) Extracting data from online database, and (2) refining scheduled test

Two items: 

First, I've been seeking a way to extract the results from the online database, so I can run analyses on them.  What I've done so far is highlight the 250 latest results, copy them to the clipboard, and then paste them into Excel.  Some manipulation is then needed to get things usable, but I've put together an XLS macro that does a nice job of cleaning things up and averaging the upload and download results in a pivot table.  Life would be simpler if I had a button on the screen to dump the results to a CSV file, and if the actual speeds were outputted as numeric instead of as strings.  I'm happy to share the Excel macro if anyone has a use for it ... I've attached it here.  The only trick is to highlight the line "Showing .." as well as the actual results, since the macro deletes that "showing" line.  (The attached .doc file refers to a slightly earlier edition of the macro, but shows how to highlight the results.)

Second, I'm wondering if there's a more convenient way to run the tests on a schedule, perhaps as an executable that can be scheduled with the OS scheduler?

I'm fairly new to the community (a couple of months), but it's a great service and a great group of activists.  Looking forward to more good stuff ahead!

Jim

:smile2:

I haven't made any executables yet but I may be making something like that in the first or second quarter of '07 to go with some other upgrade on the way.

As for the CSV feature, I took care of that for you.. only took me about 45 minutes of scripting to add that feature.  You will see the button on the bottom of the results of your searches.  It says " Download all results as CSV" and I've tested it with a few queries and it's working perfect.  Let me know how that works out for you.

Thanks for the suggestion,

-D

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks, everyone, for the replies, and especially CA3LE for the CSV feature.  It works well, and helps me make better use of the numbers.  I've revised my earlier XLS macro to handle the new CSV files, and am attaching it to this post.    Looking forward to more refinements, especially something that could run the scheduled tests as a service so that they could be automated without logging anyone one. :grin2:

• 1 year later...