Mount St. Helens awakes again...

Voltageman

They are calling it a "minor eruption".

But, you never know...You may catch the first images of a major one...  :shocked:

Wow , Voltageman , I just did a google earth search for Mt St. Helens

and got a hospital in the UK  :evil6:

I guess the volcano is in the USA  :grin2: near willow springs raceway ?

and have we got any TNM members close ?

Regards Roco  uk

and got a hospital in the UK  :evil6:

I guess the volcano is in the USA  :grin2: near willow springs raceway ?

Regards Roco  uk

It's in the northwest US, in the Cascade Range.

Interestingly, this area also happens to be one of the snowiest on earth.

The Mt. Baker Ski Area in northwestern Washington had 1,140 inches of snow (almost 100ft!  :shocked: ) for the 1998-99 snowfall season.  This broke the previous world record of 1,122 inches, set during the 1971-1972 snowfall season at Mt. Rainer.

and got a hospital in the UK  :evil6:

I guess the volcano is in the USA  :grin2: near willow springs raceway ?

Regards Roco  uk

Hey, Roco, copy and paste the coordinates below into Google Earth and it will center you right in the crater.

Thanks Guys , zoomed right in on it ,

I was looking at Mt St Helens St, Rosamond, Kern, California 93560, United States :lol: it looks kinda strange there also ,

BTW you got a mighty big country there  :lol:

Everything is strange in California :evil6: (kidding Cali folks)

And as for size, It is a 28 hour drive (straight thru) from where reside now (Nebraska) back to Portland, Oregon, where I lived before.

And that is a little less than half way across the country.

I have never been to the US East Coast, though.

No desire, I prefer the mountainous Wide Open West......

Should have been with me and my late wife that Sunday morning back in May, 1980.  We were camping about 7 miles South West of St. Helens.  Made for some beautiful photos that morning about 9:30am.  Just glad we camped where we did.  I was living in Vancouver, WA. then. Moved to PA. that Thanksgiving - that put me near 3 Mile Island.  Just my luck I guess.

Should have been with me and my late wife that Sunday morning back in May, 1980.  We were camping about 7 miles South West of St. Helens.  Made for some beautiful photos that morning about 9:30am.  Just glad we camped where we did.  I was living in Vancouver, WA. then. Moved to PA. that Thanksgiving - that put me near 3 Mile Island.  Just my luck I guess.

Yah, lucky you did not camp to the east...wish I could have seen that live.

And thanks for the correction, 1980, not 1981.

My experience was the dusting on everything in the central US, not a monster explosion like you must have witnessed, EWO.

In the ash plume, it was amazing watching it boil and all the lightning that was flashing.  That night when we got back home we learned of all the destruction. Have quite a few photos from that day.  26 years hasn't been real hard on them. I'll see if I can get some good enough to post on this thread. Loved living in WA.  Especially no state income tax.

That would be great to see some personal photos as opposed to all of the stock photos we have seen numerous times over the years.

As for living in the NW, never ever bored; there was always a new forest service road to explore, or a new lake to fish....

Hope this works for me  -  been a while.  These are original photos that I took that Sunday in May 1980.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i105/jamekwilson/StHelensMay1980.jpg

Great pics!  :shocked:  The only thing I have seen that even comes close was an avalanche in Colorado, but I didn't have my camera handy..  :cry2:

Pretty much so.  Cheap camera tho.  We were camping, CG helo. came over us so we got out of the small canyon we were in and at the top we could get radio reception - we learned of the eruption. That was about 9:00 am. so we headed toward St. Helens.  Found a high logging road and started taking pics at about 9:15 or 9:20am.

Ran out of film, drove back to Vancouver, got bucket chicken, film, friend and back to the high road.  Late that afternoon started hone and came down thru Cougar. Thats when we got in the ash problems. Hell of a mess.

Hope you  enjoyed.  Lotsa memories.

Ewo thanks for sharing, we dont get to see such things over here in the UK,

very stable, but just the odd flood from time to time, It's ok for me I live on top of a hill (68ft above sea level  :lol:) it don't take much altitude to get Hill taged on the end of the vilage name  :lol:

keep those memories going, I am allways interested in local history from around the world , the stuff that you dont get in the tourist guides ,

Regards 

Roco  UK