What linux environment should I use?

Swimmer

For those of you confused about KDE, Gnome, and all the other players in the Linux desktop environment this is one read that will clear a lot of things up pretty quick...  Not a technical read with all the ins and outs but it doest give a really good overview of each.

http://techgage.com/article/beginners_guide_to_linux_desktops/

OK guys , can you recomend KDE  for a  :newbie: and getting on a bit ,

and  just about coping with XP,  :evil6:

I suport a group of silver surfers , some are on Win 98 some on Me.

with  a small group on Xp home , all they need is e-mail and web surfing  + word , I need a free easy to use free OS,  to make my life easier, :thumbsup:

Regards Roco UK

OK guys , can you recomend KDE  for a  :newbie: and getting on a bit ,

and  just about coping with XP,  :evil6:

I suport a group of silver surfers , some are on Win 98 some on Me.

with  a small group on Xp home , all they need is e-mail and web surfing  + word , I need a free easy to use free OS,  to make my life easier,  :thumbsup:

Regards Roco UK

i would go with suse 10.2

Storm311  What did you not like about Ubuntu?  I just install it the other day, Have not had a chance to mess  around with it  yet.

Couldn't mount my windows drives, tried a whole lot of different things and it never would mount them for me, but when I installed suse it automatically found them, ubuntu just wasn't for me i guess.

If I wanted to try KDE (never used it) is there a way to switch to it or do I have to reinstall the O/S?

Well you have to have linux installed to be able to run KDE... basically Linux and Windows for that matter is just a command based operating system.  Meaning that to actually do anything in the 'OS' the user tells the computer what command to run.  For example Ping, the utility to measure latency in a network.  This can be run from the command line prompt or you can download a program that allows you to click a button and ping a destination.  Basically what the button is doing is running the command for you then showing the results.

However, linux takes this one step further.  Linux is a command line, I guess, native based operating system.  That is to say that originally it was developed to be run exclusively from the command line and for some applications such as server, mainframes and even some work stations this is still done.  However, because the software is also free and the growing popularity of Linux as a replacement to Windows the Linux desktop environment was born.  Well it was born a long time ago but more advancements have come in the past few years then ever before.

Basically what the linux desktop environment is, pretty much at its roots, is an application.  It is just another program.  So you could install multiple environments if you wanted but that would be a resource hog as each one takes about 1 gb of hard drive space and increases the boot time of the system.  To do this you would have to install Gnome or KDE after you complete the installation.  (I would do it then just to make sure that the system actually boots and is running before the installation occurs).  From there you would open YAST -> Software Management and install the Gnome.  I have never tried this and I dont have my installation media here to do it.  If some wants to try post your results. Otherwise I will when I get back.

Personally I am a KDE fan.  I have used Solaris' interface at work and it is decent but it does take a lot of getting use to or just knowing you way around with a terminal windows.  Basically Xfce is what Solaris' interface looks like.