iPod without iTunes

resopalrabotnick

is it possible to upload mp3's to an iPod nano 4GB without installing the iTunes software on the computer? (will the sucker be accessibe like just any other USB memory stick?) on one comp i don't want iTunes on the other i can't (win98se).

so if anyone has done this, shout out.

if anyone knows how to get iTunes to work on win98se let me know as well.

as for the playlists, can those be created with another program (winamp for example) and then uploaded to the iPod?

thanks a lot and Happy Holidays!

Yes you can do it but I forget how, I did it with my shuffle. Now I dont know if it will work with the nano. Let me look.

http://www.sturm.net.nz/website.php?Section=iPod+Programs&Page=SharePod

See how this hits you. I know this link will work with the nano.

http://www.wackbag.com/showthread.php?t=46159

This link has several links to different pieces of software that will help you.

http://www.ipodhacks.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Downloads&file=index

This site has alot of cool software as well.

I don't usually use Itunes for my Ipod, i use Media Monkey, but i don't know if it's what your looking for though.

I know it can access an Ipod and take music off it, and I'm sure it can add it too... and works on windows98 SE.

otherwise i think you can just set it up as a portable hard drive and put MP3's on it that way, but i dont think you'd be able to listen to them on the Ipod

I don't usually use Itunes for my Ipod, i use Media Monkey, but i don't know if it's what your looking for though.

I know it can access an Ipod and take music off it, and I'm sure it can add it too... and works on windows98 SE.

otherwise i think you can just set it up as a portable hard drive and put MP3's on it that way, but i dont think you'd be able to listen to them on the Ipod

I used Media Monkey for a while. It was okay, but I like iTunes better (even though I don't even really like iTunes). Just make sure you let Media Monkey synchronize your music or else it might just disappear from your iPod and iTunes until you synchronize.

ok. an ipod nano 4gig will work on a win98se machine.

you need:

patience

lots of it.

a box with xp to install itunes on to get the initial boot for the ipod (it demands this, i have found no workaround)

(or a mac of course)

a driver for 98. i tried a free one with no joy. redchairsoftware, the makers of anapod distribute this. the one that worked for me i got from www.98-drivers.com for 5 clams.

then i used the winamp plugin swimmer mentioned on a current version of winamp.

thanks to all those that helped. merry christmas and a happy new year.

You can feel free to call this a really stupid question, but in my experience, a lot of computers our there that are currently running Windows 98 can run Windows XP without freaking out too badly.  Is there any chance you can give us your stats on your computer?  What we'd really be looking for would be what kind of processor you have (Pentium 2, Pentium 3, etc.) and how much RAM you have.

If your system absolutely cannot take Windows XP, the Winamp plugin route is probably going to be your best option.

Winamp worked well for me. Also, fyi, I got a new cpu and installed vista rtm on it, only to see that the Ipod I bought my sister wasent compatible with it. Itunes installs but is unstable and the syncing is really awefull. Overall, if youre looking forward to installing vista, start looking for an alternative for Itunes.

You can feel free to call this a really stupid question, but in my experience, a lot of computers our there that are currently running Windows 98 can run Windows XP without freaking out too badly.  Is there any chance you can give us your stats on your computer?  What we'd really be looking for would be what kind of processor you have (Pentium 2, Pentium 3, etc.) and how much RAM you have.

If your system absolutely cannot take Windows XP, the Winamp plugin route is probably going to be your best option.

well, 3 reasons there's no xp on the box in question.

1: i have 1 1ghz p3

2: i have 256 megs of ram with which it runs stable, i need to fiddle the settings to see if i can get another 256 stick i have floating around to work with it. atm i am getting short hangups when i have it installed. no bsod or anything, just the system freezing completely for half a second or so. weird.

3: i have a license for 98se but not for xp (and shelling out a hundred bucks for the upgrade just to have xp on a secondary box...um... no.

and the question wasn't stupid, it was perfectly justified. 98 is old. it isn't even supported anymore. but fully patched it's nice and stable and not too much of a resource hog. it's good enough for me.

Winamp worked well for me. Also, fyi, I got a new cpu and installed vista rtm on it, only to see that the Ipod I bought my sister wasent compatible with it. Itunes installs but is unstable and the syncing is really awefull. Overall, if youre looking forward to installing vista, start looking for an alternative for Itunes.

really?  I haven't had any problems yet...

xplay looks interesting, i'l give it a try when i'm back home.

php, what build are you using? I'm using build 6000, buisness edition, with the latest edition of Itunes. When I connect the Ipod, windows recognizes it but Itunes only does sometimes. When Itunes recognizes it, it shows an error during the sync. I tried the troubleshooting a bit but it didn't help. Any ideas?