happy new year

mariguanero

okay mogramjo u can't leave it like that...u have to tell us what both those r...hahaha...u can't leave us in suspense... :) ...

amc11890...the black beans and rice sounds good...think we'll add that to our tradition...most people can use all the luck they can get...huh?

edit: cuz i can't spell this morning

yeh it is (scandinavian) i know what it is  :evil6: it's evil stuff (the first one)...i  just wanted her to tell everyone...i can't believe she actually ate that...i worked with a girl that used to talk about it...

edit: gender correction...sorry

Ya tdawnaz and others, it's nasty and pronounced 'Lute-fisk' if Swedish-American and as 'Lute-a-fish' if Norwegian-American. It's not eaten in the 'old country' anymore, they've got better sense..heehee!.Lefse is lovely though :smiley: Lefse's made from mashed potatoes and enough flour to make a roll-out-able dough. Quite a mess to make as one's entire kitchen is dusted with flour by the end. The lute fisk (or lutefisk) is dried cod..that takes days of soaking in various solutions...winding up as smelly fish jell-o. But with enough melted button it, can nearly stand it. But my New Year's Resolution is never, ever to try it again. Both are Christmas traditions but our house-hold did a more traditional meal for that and lutefish 'n' lefse among other 'sides' for New Years.  [nerdly]

(Joke, though actually fairly believable)...

"Well, we tried the lutefisk trick and the raccoons went away, but now we've got a family of Norwegians living under our house!"

it's nasty and pronounced 'Lute-fisk' if Swedish-American and as 'Lute-a-fish' if Norwegian-American. It's not eaten in the 'old country' anymore, they've got better sense..heehee!

welcome to the forum mogramjo :)

I live in nortern Sweden, luckely my parents never served that lute fish to the christmas table lol, I been testing it at my wife parents house, where they still have the tradition of lute fish to christmas.

Happy New Year all !!!

VanBuren :)

Hej VanBuren, hur mar du?

Thank you for the 'welkommen'. I've lurked here and near here so long...your name and good advice is very familiar to me.

'Gott Nytt Ar' to you and yours.

(Want to say 'Happy New Year' around the world friends? http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0923039.html )

It really would be nice to make some lefse here this year...been ages and I *do* love it, bit of a mess though, ja?

Tack! Jag mar bra!

'mo' :!:

Hej VanBuren, hur mar du?

Thank you for the 'welkommen'. I've lurked here and near here so long...your name and good advice is very familiar to me.

'Gott Nytt Ar' to you and yours.

(Want to say 'Happy New Year' around the world friends? http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0923039.html )

It really would be nice to make some lefse here this year...been ages and I *do* love it, bit of a mess though, ja?

Tack! Jag mar bra!

'mo' :!:

Jag m

We loved "Swedish Pancakes" and they may be called 'plattar'. Are they a thin egg batter and cooked crepe-like? I like them with butter and a piece of fried bacon rolled inside....other's go for the lingonberry sauce. American-Scandinavians do cross-cultural on some of the better good eats. Lutefish isn't one of the things that others will adopt willingly... :2funny:

I'm kidding only a bit when I say "I was raised by a pack of wild Norwegians''

And ja, lefse's Norwegian: (quote)

"lefse (lef-suh) - Lefse is considered to any "good" Norwegian the same as the tortilla is to the Mexican and the crepes are to the French. A Scandinavian tradition for decades, lefse is a pastry made from potatoes, flour, butter, and cream. It is widely prized as a delicious delicacy, whether served plain or with butter and sugar." (Ugh, sugar on lefse)

Kind of a stiff-necked bunch of comedians, hee! But they sure can party :buck2:

I've a couple chat friends from Sweden who're kind enough to share a few words with me. Generally, the Swedes know English quite well. But it's fun to pick up a few words.