TV just died

Buntz

I have this 42" plasma tv

http://www.zenith.com/index.asp?url=./sub_prod/subCategory_Display.asp%3Fcat%3D10

...it was pretty expensive when I bought it, but the price has gone down...i think its about 2000 right now, maybe even a bit cheaper, i am not sure

its not an hdtv, its an edtv - I bought it because I am not planning to get hdtv until 90% of channels out there become hdtv

its a plasma tv, about 4 inches thick - has a crap load of different inputs

Picture quality is exeptional - whether im just watching tv or something dvd based - im wow'd....viewing angle is very wide as well

I have owned this tv for about a year now, and quite honestly, I would buy it again - im totally setisfied

me and bought a TV very close to this back in may http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16889116004 and we love it. it has one of the best pictures for a LCD this size, looks great even with standard def TV. i would highly recommend it.

If you want something with a higher res. go with this Westinghouse  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16889234001

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start?ProductSKU=KDS60A2000

This is my tv. I love it. I research alot before I buy. I know this isnt in your criteria, but it is an excellent tv for the money. I looked at many reviews including cnet and avsforums, this tv is beating most lcd and plasmas in the reviews. Plus it is full 1080p.

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start?ProductSKU=KDS60A2000

This is my tv. I love it. I research alot before I buy. I know this isnt in your criteria, but it is an excellent tv for the money. I looked at many reviews including cnet and avsforums, this tv is beating most lcd and plasmas in the reviews. Plus it is full 1080p.

hey did you ever look up how much your bulb is for your TV before you bought it?

I don't consider rear projection to be a downfall. Aside from bulb replacement (every three year maybe) there are no drawbacks. Its thin, light, no burn in (plasma burns horribly). Its great. I have not tried over the air HD as I have just purchased it not long ago. I am going to put my ps3 on it soon and do blu ray. I expect to be dazzled. Also I am getting dishnetwork since they carry the most hd channels.

there is just 1. it lasts about 800hrs to 1/2 brightness and 2000 to dead.

No no it lasts MUCH longer than that.

Thanks everybody for the suggestion I am checking them out now. Shug7272 how many bulbs are there in your tv.

Let me read my manual.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Sony_KDS_60A2000/4505-6484_7-31901232.html

Like all microdisplays the Sony KDS-60A2000 uses a lamp that must be replaced periodically. That lamp, the XL-5200, retails for $250 and has a "recommended bulb exchange period" of 8,000 hours.
Thats over 5 years of average tv viewing acording to avsforums. That is very nice.  :icon_thumleft: Its an awesome tv man. I have read alot of avsforum posts of people having this tv since it was introduced and the bulb is still "like new". Im sure those guys use it alot and from what I read the bulb life has been increased since it was released. I think it was 5000 hours when it was released last year or so.

no they don't shug, if your luckey you will get 2000hrs. rear projections with a bulb do not last that long.

:2funny: Man I bought a Hitachi ultravision almost four years ago. I sold it a year ago to a friend of mine. It still looked like the day I bought it. As far as I know he hasnt replaced the bulb but I will ask. I use a low brightness setting any way, I follow most all of the tweeks at avsforums. Those guys KNOW what they are doing. They got this stuff down.

Watching 3 hours a day the bulb will last just over 2 years. How easy is it to find the replacement bulb,do they all use the same type of bulb. Will I be able to find a bulb 5 or more years down the road.

Yea they keep em in stock. I wondered that too and called Sony about a replacment bulb for a tv I had long ago and they still had them. They were on sale too.  :haha:

Watching 3 hours a day the bulb will last just over 2 years. How easy is it to find the replacement bulb,do they all use the same type of bulb. Will I be able to find a bulb 5 or more years down the road.

that is the reason we stopped using rear projections were i work no one knows if were going to be able to get replacement bulbs in a 2,3,4,5 years down the road.

:2funny: Man I bought a Hitachi ultravision almost four years ago. I sold it a year ago to a friend of mine. It still looked like the day I bought it. As far as I know he hasnt replaced the bulb but I will ask. I use a low brightness setting any way, I follow most all of the tweeks at avsforums. Those guys KNOW what they are doing. They got this stuff down.

that one doesnt use a light bulb. there are 2 kinds of rear projections one that uses a bulb and one that uses a cathode ray gun and bounces the image off of mirrors onto the scrren. that one will last as long as a standard tv.

When I go to BB again I take  look at the rear projection TV's. Anybody here buy a  TV on line? How did that work out. I am scare I will get stuck with a bad TV and have to pay a lot of money to ship it back to them for a RMA.

If you are going to think of a rear project, I would recommend none other than my model.I researched it alot. It comes in three screen sizes 50, 55 and 60. It received better reviews than all other TVs in its category at cnet. It smoked alot of plasmas and lcds. The bulb life is rated at 8000 hours, I'm not worried about that. It doesn't get screen burn in either which is a huge plus. Also consider the Samsung DLP. It gets rave reviews and looks nice. The people at avsforums like the two TVs and they are professionals. You should read at the forums and check out www.cnet.com for some advice on TVs. They have video you can watch of each TV while they review it.