I'm convinced Insight is throttling BT

toast6977

I am convinced...

I'm not behind a router, and am using the newer style motorola surfboard modem.

connection is 10/1.

Excellent speed tests from here now.

Utorrent and Azureus giving me NAT errors, both are added as exceptions in Windows Firewall, and there are no other firewall programs running. Avast! is running, but I've never had a problem with it in the couple years i've been using it..

This problem just started out of the blue, a week or so after the "upgrade" (and after it finally levelled out after all of the problems.)

I got slightly better results after enabling encryption w/ utorrent.

in Utorrent, if i run the speed wizard, and test the ports, it gives me the green go-ahead and says everything is running fine, i should be able to accept incoming connections..

Azureus however says I have a firewall problem.

Stumped!

Well, I understand not getting full speeds.... that doesn't concern me too much, but not getting a green light bothers me.

I have seen speeds on some torrents reach 1.1mb/s, but obviously not at all regularly..

On average I used to normally get 300-600, but now I'm peaking at 50 k/s.

I definately appreciate the help, i've lurked on these boards for quite some time and I have huge faith that at bare minimum, ya'll know what your doing  :lol:

I don't use torrents but I get good speed test.

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Download Connection is:: 10843 Kbps about 10.8 Mbps (tested with 12160 kB)

Download Speed is:: 1324 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Server 1)

Test Time:: 2006/12/29 - 12:41pm

Bottom Line:: 189X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 0.77 sec

Tested from a 12160 kB file and took 9.187 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 146.32 % faster than the average for host (insightbb.com)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-FEY5AS61H

User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; Maxthon; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727) [!]

:::.. Upload Stats ..:::

Upload Connection is:: 939 Kbps about 0.9 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 115 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Server 1)

Test Time:: 2006/12/29 - 12:44pm

Bottom Line:: 16X faster than 56K 1MB Upload in 8.9 sec

Tested from a 2992 kB file and took 26.093 seconds to complete

Upload Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 87.05 % faster than the average for host (insightbb.com)

U-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-AZ1GCMW7V

User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; Maxthon; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727) [!]

the entire idea behind torrents are the seeds... If no one is seeding then it isnt going to go fast.  You may be connected to 9 of 100..  I am not 100% sure but most of the time you are not going to get all of the seeds because of MD5 miss matches, private seeds, or other random crap. 

BTW Insight is not throttling.. yet.

Yes, Insight is screwing with BT. I went from d/l speeds of 250KB-900KB down to 7-10KB a couple of days ago. Most of the ISP's have been working on ways to limit p2p traffic and have really stepped up their game lately, making things really difficult for BT users. I've heard of people having some success regaining some speed by enabling encryption but it's not helping me here in Northern KY. The crazy thing about this whole mess is we're not doing anything but making use of the access and bandwith that they advertise and sell to us. It reminds me of how so many places were messing with skateboarders some years back. If you're not part of the mainstream, they try to block you from the scene all together. Personally, I don't think anything will change until we show them that it's the us that allow them to exist and not the other way around. Imagine the reaction of the big ISP's if every BT user accross the nation canceled their service at the same time in protest to their tactics. They'd be offering twice the bandwith for halff the money to try and gain back the millions of costumers they lost.

signed up here to make this post :)

where are you located?  I am on insightbb in Bloomington/Normal IL.  100% OF CALLS TO MY  local insight office (309-45-CABLE) have confirmed that insightbb has implemented sandvine.  Little to no public information is available on sandvine, but I can (unofficially) tell you that this is a more intelligent traffic shaping device than first seen in canada and eu - my encrypted, lazy_bitfield bt traffic is being raped by insightbb.  Please call my local office if yours is not confirming this as EVERYONE at my local office has confirmed that sandvine is filtering the ENTIRE network.  My AIM sn is dcd1182 and anyone who has a possible workaround or questions please drop me a line...

I had the same experience.  Azureus worked perfectly with terrific speeds right after the upgrade but then about a week ago, out of the blue, it's NAT error in the NAT/firewall test, I appear firewalled...I did every possible troubleshooting step before calling Insight tech support.  They admitted that they implemented throttling not long after the speed upgrade but insisted that it shouldn't affect my reachabliity etc.  That's probably true assuming that they implemented it correctly but their level of incompetence is so great that I'm sure the problems are on their end.  I'm dropping my whole Insight package and going to ATT for Dish, phone, and dsl.  They throttle too (I called their tech support to ask) but from friends with that service I know that at least Azureus works correctly.  I threatened to leave Insight alot (I was on the phone with them frequently this past year for internet problems) and now I look forward to writing them a letter explaining why I left along with my digital cable and hi def package and internet (a big bill they will no longer get from me)...and I'm going to tell all of my friends to do the same.  Anywho...I just wanted to confirm the above's experience and share what Insight told me about throttling.  Ch33rs

• 2 weeks later...

insight doesnt throttle.. you wont get your full speeds off of a torrent, its a known fact

On the contrary, I did a live chat this eveningwith Insightbb and here it is. I lied to them about a couple things to piss them off, but you will se that YES, they DO throttle.

Session ID: 81054

System Welcome Brandie ...

System Connecting to server. Please wait...

System Connected to helpchat.insightbb.com 

System Dan W has joined this session!

System Connected with Dan W

Dan W Thank you for contacting Insight Help Chat. How may I help you? 

You Hello I'm having an issue that many others using Insight are having.... 

You Why are my torrent files all of the sudden so slow? 

You Is Insight throttling the ports? 

Dan W we are throttling upload speeds, yes 

Dan W upload only 

You why? 

You This is not what your customers signed up for 

You I consider it an invasion of privacy, along with many other people 

Dan W because this is a big part of the reason the network is running so slow 

You Well why is it that Comcast has many torrent users and they are not throttling torrents speeds? 

Dan W everyone is taking up excessive bandwidth uploading 

You well, people pay for the bandwidth, why can't they use it then? 

You Seems you guys have offered something you cannot handle offering 

Dan W I don't think so 

Dan W we are just trying to give all the customers what they pay for 

You The customers pay for higher speeds 

Dan W instead of the more computer saavy all the bandwidth 

You I'm not getting fast speeds 

Dan W that's probable because the are numerous others taking bandwidth away from you 

You Well if someone pays for a certain amount of bandwidth then why can they not max it out? 

Dan W you can max it out, I'm just trying to explain some of the issues on the network 

You And why were the customers not sent a notice of this new policy? The user agreement poilicy has not been updated                 

to tell me that you guys are throttling my bandwidth 

You I am a torrent user and I cannot max my upload out, so no... I cannot max it out 

Dan W because your service isn't affected 

You yes it is 

Dan W the issue is the customers using more than they are paying for 

You I use high speed for a certain purpose and it is affected 

Dan W that's affecting others on the network 

Dan W do you use any p2p programs? 

You well I guess Insight should upgrade their equipment so they can handle the customers bandwidth usage 

Dan W we are upgrading continuously

You I use torrents, so yes technically I use p2p port forwarding 

Dan W when that is abused, issues arise 

Dan W such as slow speed 

You So is this a permanent UL bandwidth decision made by someone? 

You If my UL speed is a certain rate and I use that rate how is that abuse? 

Dan W I don't even know if it has gone into affect yet 

Dan W Again, I don't know if you are an abuser or not 

You well I can tell you for a fact that is has, people all over your service area are complaining all over internet forums 

Dan W I'm just explaining some of our network issues 

You how is it abuse if someone uses their entire maximum bandwidth? 

Dan W do you do alot of uploading? 

You yes i do 

You I upload 24/7 

Dan W there is the issue 

You so what if I upload 24/7? I am a customer 

You I can only upload as fast as the service allows, it aint like I'm uploading faster than what my plan is 

Dan W the definition of broadband basically means that the more bandwidth used by one person is taking away from                 

someone 

You So basically it would be in my best interest to use a different ISP if I upload alot is what you're telling me? 

Dan W I'm telling you that your uploading more that the service allows 

Dan W correct 

Dan W I'm just being upfront with you 

You There was no monthly/yearly limit to how much I upload upon contract 

Dan W there isn't a limit on how much you upload

You I need the contact info of whoever made the throttling of UL speeds decision then so I can give it to my attorney 

Dan W there is just a limit on how fast you will upload 

Dan W you can upload as much as you always have 

You yes, and upload is important to me so therefor my service has been affected with no change to the user agreement,           

therefor a breach of contract on Insight's part

Dan W the idea behind the throttling is just to limit you from stealing bandwidth from other users and slowing them down 

Dan W feel free to fill out a contact form on our help page 

Dan W I think that would be best 

You If I live in a neighborhood with 100 people and we all pay for an UL speed we should all be able to max it out. It is                 

not the customer's fault that Insight cannot handle it 

Dan W One moment please.

You Customers don't care about Insight's network issues, they care about getting what they pay for, that is false             

advertisement 

You To be honest, upload is more important to me than download speed 

You and it was a HUGE mistake by throttling the bandwidth without making any changes notifying customers to the                 

license agreement 

You that's illegal 

You so where's the main headquarter's info on the page? 

You I don't see it 

System Dan W pushes page, http://www.insightcom.com 

Dan W maybe this helps 

You nope 

You cannot locate the info 

You just a link to enter my info and get my local office 

You Insight Communications

810 7th Avenue, 41st Floor

New York, NY 10019 <~ Is this the main headquarters? 

You hello? 

Dan W yes 

You Who is the president or CEO so I can ask to speak to them? 

Dan W Michale Wilner 

You Insight will review our privacy practices as we deem appropriate and/or when we update or change our cable or                 

other services. We will inform you of any changes that we make to this notice by posting changes in a revised privacy

notice that will be made available to you through our service, postal mail or other means as permitted by law.

If you find the changes unacceptable, you have the right to cancel your cable service. Use of Insight