Is An ATI Radeon X1950 PRO 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express Graphics Card Compatible?

altoidz

I was wondering if this card would be compatible with my computer? My specs can be found here:

http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/dimen_5150?c=us&cs=28&l=en&s=dfb

(Click on Tech Specs)

The only part I'm questioning is the PSU. I would think a computer as powerful as this one would have more than a 305W PSU. The rest of it is an:

Intel Pentium D CPU 2.80 GHz (2 CPUs)

1024 DDR2 RAM

and the PSU:

Input Voltage: 100 to 120 V at 60Hz, 200 to 240V at 50Hz

Output Wattage: 305W maximum continuous

Heat Dissipation: 560.5 BTU/hour

Backup Battery: 3.0 V CR2032 coin cell

The requirements for the ATI Radeon X1950 PRO are:

ATX form factor; 450W power supply

In my opinion, 450W seems like a lot. If this card is not compatible, please recommend the strongest PCI-E slot you think would work. I asked some people at Best Buy and they should this card should work no problem with a 305W power supply, but I wasn't really sure if I should listen to them since this card clearly states it needs a 450W power supply. Just making sure. Thanks for your time guys.

I would say that 305 is a little weak..  I would say 400-450 depending on how many hard drives and optical drives you are planning on running..  here is what one of the reviewers ran for the test of this card:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (operating at 2.40GHz - 9x266MHz); Asus P5W DH Deluxe motherboard (Intel 975X Express); 2 x 1GB Corsair XMS2-6400C4 (operating in dual channel Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (operating at 2.40GHz - 9x266MHz); Asus P5W DH Deluxe motherboard (Intel 975X Express); 2 x 1GB Corsair XMS2-6400C4 (operating in dual channel at DDR2-800 with 4-4-4-12 timings); Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 200GB SATA hard drive; OCZ GameXtreme 700W power supply unit at DDR2-800 with 4-4-4-12 timings); Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 200GB SATA hard drive; OCZ GameXtreme 700W power supply unit

Which is pretty close to what you are running.  I would upgrade it to begin with just because you are going to rely on a Dell stock power supply to feed you $280+ graphic card.

I see. That's pretty unfortunate since I just spent $300 on this card thinking it would work and it not working, having my dad yell at me. My whole family didn't want me to get this, so I don't really know what to do. I've also figured out I don't have a 6-pin PCI-E cable to connect this to my PSU anyway. I've already opened it, so I guess all I can do is exchange for another card. Please recommend a good card that would run with a 305W power supply. Thanks.

Think I could get a refund if I tell them about the Best Buy guy who said it would work when I brought him the papers of specs and everything? :evil6:

well.. you have a few options.. You can jimmy rig the card with a cable like this: http://www.directron.com/6pinpcie.html  You just need to make sure that you have 2 molex connectors to power this cable.

The other option would be to get a new power supply.

The third would be to return it.  I am not sure what Bestbuy's return policy is on open computer stuff.  It might be a exchange for a new one. 

I really would upgrade, but my budget doesn't allow for it currently. I'm going to try to return it tomorrow for a full refund. If that does not work, I am going to need help choosing the best graphics card available $300 or under I could exchange for that would work with 305W. Here are the listings:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=cat01151&type=category&parentCatID=null&initialize=false&initialize=true&_requestid=126325

Looks like the PNY - Verto GeForce 7900 GS Graphics Card for $199 blows everything away here, but I'm going to post for some of your opinions since it's 350W. Thanks for telling me about those cables swimmer. That shouldn't be a problem.

no lol and a 7900gs will need just as much power as a x1950 PRO, which that card isnt even that good compared to a x1900XT [which i dont know price on both them offhand] .... i recomend getting a decent psu for 50-80$ and buying a 7600GT which wouldnt be THAT bad for running new games ....

i didn't have any ill effects by him buying at bestbuy. did you? maybe he wanted to fork over cash and carry it right home instead of waiting around for the fedex guy.

i did lol -.- the only thing i would buy at bestbuy is a mouse/keybord mainly because i wanna see how well they feel ;]

yeah everytime i use 3 day shipping with ups on newegg i alwasy get in 2 days ;] , and when i order 2 days i alwasy get in 1-2 days ^^

even after shipping most stuff is still usually cheaper @ newegg compared to retail stores.