Wimpy in New Orleans?

tommie gorman

Or is it "SON OF A BIT*H, THEY ARE TOUGH  IN  NORTH  DAKOTA"

After reading this I would have to say...(you know)  :wink:

I got this in an e-mail. Aren't real american's great?

"This text is from a county emergency manager out in the Western part of

North Dakota State after the recent snow storm.

WEATHER BULLETIN

Up here in the Northern Plains we just recovered from a Historic

event---may I even say a "Weather Event" of "Biblical Proportions" --- with a

historic blizzard of up to 44" inches of snow and winds to 90 MPH that

broke trees in half, knocked down utility poles, stranded hundreds of motorists

in lethal snow banks, closed ALL roads, isolated scores of communities and cut

power to 10's of thousands.

FYI:

George Bush did not come.

FEMA did nothing.

No one howled for the government.

No one blamed the government.

No one even uttered an expletive on TV.

Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton did not visit.

Our Mayor's did not blame Bush or anyone else.

Our Governor did not blame Bush or anyone else either

CNN, ABC, CBS, FOX, or NBC did not visit - or report on this category 5snow storm nobody demanded $2,000 debit cards.

No one asked for a FEMA Trailer House.

No one looted.

Nobody - I mean Nobody demanded the government do something.

Nobody expected the government to do anything either

No Larry King, No Katie Couric, No Oprah, No Chris Mathews and No

Geraldo Rivera.

No Sean Penn, No Barbara Striesand, No Hollywood types to be found.

And Nope, we just melted the snow for water.

Sent out caravans of SUV's to pluck people out of snow engulfed cars.

The truck drivers pulled people out of snow banks and didn't ask for a

penny.

Local restaurants made food, and the police and fire departments

delivered it to the snow bound families.

Families took in the stranded people - total strangers.

We Fired up wood stoves, broke out coal oil lanterns or Coleman lanterns.

We put on an extra layers of clothes because up here it is "Work or Die".

We did not wait for some affirmative action government to get us out of

a mess created by being immobilized by a welfare program that trades votes

for 'sittin at home' checks.

Even though a Category "5" blizzard of this scale has never fallen this

early, we know it can happen and how to deal with it ourselves.

"In my many travels, I have noticed that once one gets north of about 48

degrees North Latitude, 90% of the world's social problems evaporate."

It does seem that way, at least to me.

I hope this gets passed on..

Maybe . SOME people will get the message . The world does Not owe you a

living. ="

It made me think.

And be thankful folks help each other.

It's sad that so many people made 'hay' at the natural disaster known as Katrina. I don't mean individuals 'accepting' trailers or debit cards or any think like that...all vote-buying in populous areas is a given.

What I disliked is all the disinformation that passed for 'news'.of what happened in New Orleans during the immediate aftermath. A lot of prejudice seemed to color people's idea of what was 'likely' to be true. Sensational stories that turned out to be nothing even close to truth. (Do I smell "pants on fire"?) But, having said that...

There's quite a difference between anywhere in North Dakota and anywhere in Louisiana. I started here:

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/38000.html The *whole state* :grin2: of N.D. has aprox. 642.200 in it whereas N.O.'s pre-Katrina population was 455,000...and the storm hit a much wider area in LA then just the city proper...good topic though. I can sure recall some horrible(?) blizzards up Illinois way...but then that would be telling my age :roll:

By the way Tommie, you surely know I wasn't indicating any deception on *your* part by my attempt at humor re:"do I smell 'pants on fire?" [nerd] I was thinking of news mongrels in general. And yes...north country folk are hardy in the extreme!! Been there, done that and glad I don't have to shovel sunshine :grin:

I do have to say you have a good argument. I think mo is right though. So MANY people were put out of homes no where to sleep, so MANY people died. With dirty water everywhere you have risk of infection, disease all kinds of things that are so harmful. I don't think anyone is a wimp.

I think they had the worst mayor they could of ever had. He should be their biggest disgrace ever. He is no different than Jesse Jackson. And you would not believe how many scammers came from down there. I will give one example. These kids came up here and rented a house from me.

They were on the take and eventually were on the run. They claimed to have so many things back there it is not funny, house, cars, belongings. Come to find out from their relatives, they had nothing back home. The gov't gave them so much $$$ it was unreal. They thought it wasfunny.And who lost money on that deal, all of the taxpayers. (me included) I have had slevere storm damage from ice really bad, it really cost me a bunch, did I get any help?

Fema did help pick up the trees(when they got around to it. And it was up to me to pay to have it tken out to the street. The insurance did not help, it appears ice is much different damage than most other storms. They seem to think ice damage is not covered on any of my rental houses or my own home. But if a roof leaks and causes damage, it is covered for repairs. So I got no help. It really set me back. The yelling about the gov't not stepping in quick enough, and all that other crap just made me sick eventually. I guess I finally got it out. Sorry for any offended individuals. But it really stunk in a predjudiced way at Katrina. OK folks did need extreme help. I just have not figured out why they went and rebuilt the town back under sea level. Why not back fill to the dams first. Then It could not happen again. And they would have somewhere to dump the refuse. I guess I just don't understand some things. But, I guess I am not supposed to.

One more thing, I meant the things that happened in and from New Orleans. Not the rest of the folks. (the rest of Louisiana or Texas etc...) Sorry.

I do have to say you have a good argument. I think mo is right though. So MANY people were put out of homes no where to sleep, so MANY people died. With dirty water everywhere you have risk of infection, disease all kinds of things that are so harmful. I don't think anyone is a wimp.

they knew the storm was coming, they knew what would happen, why didn't they move people to higher ground?

that picture of the school bus depot full of buses sitting unused in a few feet of water always comes to my mind. why weren't they used to get people the hell out days ago? and those i'm sure are not the only buses/trucks/vans left stranded...

they knew the storm was coming, they knew what would happen, why didn't they move people to higher ground?

that picture of the school bus depot full of buses sitting unused in a few feet of water always comes to my mind. why weren't they used to get people the hell out days ago? and those i'm sure are not the only buses/trucks/vans left stranded...

Very true, it's almost like they left those people there to die.  :sad3:

nope. exact same thing. we're on US soil. we act exactly like new orleans, do nothing ourselves and kick and scream for federal aid from FEMA et al.

:evil6:

But your guys have not screamed foul. Like the mayor did. The aid is fine. We all need help time to time. That mayor...well he sucked. Florida needs the aid also at times. Even Texas did not scream during the ordeal. Just waited and moved on.

Mainly just New Orleans, and mostly after the mayor got started.  :icon_rr:

He did them no justice. And now about all that is going on is looting still. Partly by the contractors. I know one that went down there. He said he was going to help fleece the govt money out of them along with the others.  :sad3: