Need help for SATELLITE internet connection!!!

jjb

Please help! Hi I'm new here. I got Xplornet satellite high speed internet (they say high speed) about 7 months ago. I'm paying for 512kbps down and 128kbps up. At first and until about a month ago I was always getting around 400kbps down and now I can't even hit the 200kbps mark! Something is wrong somewhere! I called Xplornet abut 50 times and I'm waiting for a call from there level 3 which is supposed to be anikast telesat directly. I'm using a Mac so I know my speed issues aren't spyware or virus related. And yes I do have protection against them anyway but the only thing this protection stops is windows stuff. Does anyone out there have xplornet? Does anyone know what I can do to get my speed back? Is there somekind of hack I can use? Why did my speed get down like that? Anything would help. I just want to get my speeds back. Does anyone have bad or good sayings about Xplornet. What did you do? Anything please would help... I just want my speed back....

welcome jjb,

Maybe this will help explain since you don't think it's at your end. I believe more and more people are using satellite than anytime before now, today. These companies don't stop signing up people since they are trying to make money. Now what usually happens is you start service and then more and more people sign up and thus more traffic, just like on the highway a slowdown. Thats my theory, I have noticeable slowdowns at times but I us a higher plan to compensate, sometimes. Do your speeds go back up at all? If you speed stays steadily lower Xplornet may have choked it down. Also different transponders have different types of users.

Hi granpa thanks for the reply. I don't really know whats going on. I know I used to get good speeds and now it's real slow. The only times i can get 456kbps is at 6:30 in the morning and at that time usually I'm gone to work or asleep. I was thinking about getting a faster package but the way I see it right now it's a ripoff. I'm paying for 512 now and I can't even get 200 what if I pay for the 1000 package am I going to get around 900 or am I only going to get around 500 which is what I'm paying for now? Do you use satellite right now? What is your experience? Do you think I would get bigger speeds with a bigger package? Closer to what I would be paying for anyway!!! Thanks in advance...

My speeds are sometimes debateble.  :lol: Thanks Tim.

First off like grandpa said, they love to oversell these things. Second of all the most important thing in getting good speeds is the first thing I learned. Everybody wants to say tweak. Not first. First you have  to clean it up. If you have ever reformatted, or remember how the comp ran when it was new.

OK first post a speed test. It is located in the top of Testmy page. "Download Test" Use the 2992 file test. And before you test also clean out your temp files first.

[top of the browser*Tools*Internet Options*Delete Files including Offline Content*OK*OK* now test. Test will show the progress and what might be wrong.]

Read this section completely and l mean everything! After cleaning it up retest and post a speed test back here again. Then we will see if anything else is wrong.

http://www.testmy.net/forum/t-4257

I clean my computer every time I start it up. Defrag, diskclean, restart the modem. Those are always the first thing. It only takes a few minutes if done everyday.  :grin2:

And spyware is no joke.  :wink2:

Thanks for the replu Tommie. But I run a Mac. I don't have those spyware and junk that windows users have. I don't have to defrag and all the rest because of the way they built Mac os x when you do something on the hard drive it is optimized automatically. Not like windows who just throws the stuff anywhere on the hard drive. So nothing of this can affect my speed. I even tried it on another Mac that is fully formated and ready for sale and the results are the same. Even on my cousins pc. So I know it's the computers fault. Thanks for the help. I was wondering if there was something I can do to get my speed back. I don't know, maybe modifications I can do to the satellite, or some settings (on a Mac), how can I test if my xplornet hardware is working ok? The modem, the satellite and the rest in betweeen? Anyway hope you guys can help! I just don't understand I used to get speeds of around 450kbps and now I can't even hit the 200kbps? Help please! Thanks lots in advance again!

It's not really about tweaking my Mac. It's more about checking my stuff to know what gives me those slow speeds lately. I was used to getting aroun 400kbps before and since about a month I can't seem to get anything close to 200kbps.

I would like to know if there is a way to test my xplornet stuff, and find out what is causing this speed decrease! Thanks hope you can help...

Have you restarted the modem. Unplug the modem and touch the end for 10+ seconds and replug it.

Is it properly grounded. Could something have ungrounded it?

How does the modem get it software. Is it self hosting, does the ISP take care of the modem updates?

Actually ghostmaster or grandpa is probably a little better at this. MAC is a strange bird to me. Doesn't dlewis run a MAC?

Is there a moisture build up in the nose of the dish?

Is there ice or snow on the dish?

It's not really about tweaking my Mac. It's more about checking my stuff to know what gives me those slow speeds lately. I was used to getting aroun 400Kbps before and since about a month I can't seem to get anything close to 200Kbps.

I would like to know if there is a way to test my xplornet stuff, and find out what is causing this speed decrease! Thanks hope you can help...

We need to know more about what equipment your using. I have a DW7000 and a almost 6 year ODU. From what I have read xplornet uses Hughes or WildBlue and it seems that the WB uses the small service packages only. Check out this page to see the different modems.http://www.xplornet.com/whatis/satellite-tech.asp?lang=EN

Tell us what your using (between the Mac and the sky) and any information about your system other than your Mac.

We'll be waiting :smiley:

Hi guys. Thanks for this bit of info. 1st I'll go look at my hardware outside for any snow buildup and to make sure the ground is ok. I'll let you know after. What did you mean about resetting and touching the end for 10 secs. I unplugged my modem and waited about 1 min every time and it never gave no better results. For the snow and the ground I'll go have a look but I don't believe it's the case. We just got maybe 6inches of snow but I was having those problems before this snow. Ane for my Mac it's a Mac Mini with a PPC processor using mac os x 10.4.8 Tiger. And I'm not sure about this modem I know on it it says SURF BEAM it's blue and it seems to be made by ViaSat. My outside satellite dish is a 75cm dish "Raven 24" (whatever this means!) On my papers it says I have an Xplornet modem and Ka-Band dish. And when they installed it they said my SNR is 15.9. What those this mean? This is pretty much all about my coputer and my satellite hardware. I'll go look at my exterior equipment and the ground and I'll let you guys know if something is wrong there. Thanks for the help anymore help is welcome...

I have the satellite internet from Xplornet.  Had it for months now.  I've got the KaBang. Supposed to be 1 Mbps down and 256 Kbps up.  Not a chance.  Usually half that or less.  A lot of stalls and disconnects.  I wouldn't recommend it for the money.  Not only the monthly fee, but you have to pay an arm and a leg for installation and the equipment.  Anytime I call tech support, they do nothing to help.  Is there any way to get better service out of these guys?  I called tech support last night because I kept getting dissconnected.  There has not been a single day that I've had a constant connection.  This time they said I got FAPed.  This is not true.  I monitor my data transfer and it was no where near the 169MB limit.  Tried the modem, tried the anit virus, tried the spyware, took my computer to work with no probems.  They have a list of excuses to get rid of you.  Don't buy it.  If you're having constant problems, it's on their end but they won't admit it.  I've troubleshooted ever possible scenario and it all boils down to them having crap service.  I am expecting a "LEVEL 2" call today because I stumped the "LEVEL 1" guy last night.  I will keep everyone posted and I will continue to spread my story until I am satisfied with their service or get a refund on the $800 installation and equipment charge.  There are employees of Xplornet that post here as well and they have nothing but good things to say.  Do your research people. 

Just got off the phone with Telus and they will have DSL in my area within 2 months.  That means that Xplornet will only have my business for 2 more months!!!  Thank God!!!  Nothing worse than crap service.  It seems that's the only kind you get in Alberta!!!  Kills me to have paid $800 for equipment and installation.  I'll never have anything good to say about Xplornet.

If you don't work for Xplornet, then I'm sorry to come off like that, but this is very frustrating, to have paid so much for crap service.  I can't seem to get anywhere with the problems I am having.  So I've resorted to posting on the net.  And I'm sure they have people hired to surf the web defending their product, and I hope you're not one of them.  If you do work for Xplornet, then you know where I stand.