motherboard

TimPawlak

lol a core 2 duo =P right now the cpu i have is an amd 2400 (in my server pc) but need to upgrade.. i only have 130.. wanted to get that cpu and some ram

You could run an X2 in the motherboard..  I am not sure how great of a server CPU it would be..  But it would be an option...  Right now the cheapest that I am see a compatible x2 is for about $180..  If you think you are going to be running a server for quite a while you might want to invest in some server class hardware.  It is expensive, just take a look at a few of the threads that have been posted, to get started but in the long run upgrading tends to be cheaper as long as you stay in the same generation that you hardware is.

just get a core 2 duo and good motherboard :|~  or just wait for the new quad core c2d because the dual cores will  go way down in price, or just get the quad one... theres already a high end quad core core 2 duo extreme out, but its like 1100bux lol

You could run an X2 in the motherboard..  I am not sure how great of a server CPU it would be..  But it would be an option...  Right now the cheapest that I am see a compatible x2 is for about $180..  If you think you are going to be running a server for quite a while you might want to invest in some server class hardware.  It is expensive, just take a look at a few of the threads that have been posted, to get started but in the long run upgrading tends to be cheaper as long as you stay in the same generation that you hardware is.

i don't think he would really notice the difference between a X2 and a opteron, its not like he is going to be running a high traffic site off it or 2 high load game servers at one time. a X2 would be really good in it. he can get away with running standard parts.