DVD +R

Mtal1ca

No not all dvd burners will record to dual layer it must be a dual layer burner to do. Stand alone dvd recorders can not  record to Dual Layer either, must use single layer media(4.7 gig). You can look in the properties of you dvd burner drive to find the model number and check on google to see if it supports burning to Dual Layer.

No not all dvd burners will record to dual layer it must be a dual layer burner to do. Stand alone dvd recorders can not  record to Dual Layer either, must use single layer media(4.7 gig). You can look in the properties of you dvd burner drive to find the model number and check on google to see if it supports burning to Dual Layer.

Yup, bonter got it right (Welcome to the forum by the way, havent seen you here before). If it does support dual layer it will tell you. The + or - has nothing to do with dual layer really. That being said the blank dual layer dvd are still kinda pricy, Id stick with the good ol regulars. But you obviously dont want to do that.  :haha: :haha:

Thanks for the welcome. I have a Lite-on dvdrw shw-160p6s. I am doing various searches about this dvd drive but I can not find any solid information on whether or not dvd-r dl is supported. I do know that my stand alone dvd recorder model pioneer dvr-231 does not support recording to or playback. That sucks.

Thank You shug I have been a lurker here on these forums for a long time, just haven't really posted much.

If that is a Lite on SHW-160P6S  then yes it will burn Dual Layer media. I agree with shug that DL media is much too expensive right for the home user to use it. Single layer media is so much cheaper compare 15 DVD+RW single layer media for 12 bucks to 3 DVD+R Dual Layer media for 10 bucks. It is a big difference.

I always love to see new people. Especially new people helping new people. Thats what this place is all about. You dont have to worry if your question is a "rookie question", nobody here will give you shit, everyone has to learn EVERYTHING they know at one point.  :wink: Just hang out and have fun guys. Glad to have ya both.