laptop questions

Not really a hardware problem or anything but just basic laptop use questions I have before getting my laptop.

People told me that when the laptop is plugged into the AC outlet, both the battery recharges but at the same time, the laptop uses a bit of the battery for some small tasks. So is it better to recharge the battery when computer is not in use (not turned on)? Any other tips on how to maximize the battery life and duration of the battery before it cannot be charged anymore would be appreciated too.

Also, can you provide any actual data on the difference in life time when using 6-cell and 9-cell batteries and maybe 12-cell batteries just in case if there's any data on that. I searched on google but haven't been able to find any actual data for lifetime of those different batteries.

Thanks for any replies. Your help is greatly appreciated :)

it doesnt matter wether you changed the battery while the laptop is pluged in or not. it will just take longer to charge. There really isnt anything you can do to maxamize batter life, its all done on its on in a new laptop, there is no memory in new batteries so you don't have to worry about pluging and unpluging it at any time.

What kind did you get?

I have a XPS 140 with a 9cell battery, get about 5.5-6hrs of use. For me screen brightness plays a big factor, the power scheme settings can change things quite a bit. If you read c-net ratings much some laptops just dont get much time on batteries...some around 2.5 hours is max.  :cool2:

yea, any tips on improving battery life on laptops?

I ask because we bought my mom a wonderful (I mean dual-core, 1 gig ram, widescreen, wireless...etc...) laptop for Christmas and the battery life is terrible...

So any tips? :smile2:

when you have the screen brightness all the ways up, and the wireless on your battery is not going to last a long time.

What kind did you get?

I have a XPS 140 with a 9cell battery, get about 5.5-6hrs of use. For me screen brightness plays a big factor, the power scheme settings can change things quite a bit. If you read c-net ratings much some laptops just dont get much time on batteries...some around 2.5 hours is max.  :cool2:

Mine gets an hour...........  :?