LCD's

REV0LUTI0NIZED

In my opinion, this is the best LCD TV on the market without stepping up to a 1080p capable tv, which, at the moment, is a waste of money because the only thing broadcast in 1080p would be the blu-ray disc player. Plus it's at a good price.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-32Cx48SUctW/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?I=158KD40XBR&wm=su

over the air HD broadcasts are true 1080P, and they are free  :grin2:

over the air HD broadcasts are true 1080P, and they are free  :grin2:

Hate to say it, but this is not correct. OTA HD broadcasts are not 1080p. The bandwidth required for 1080p is massive - more than can fit in an OTA broadcast channel, I am fairly sure. The best you can get OTA is 1080i, which is what CBS broadcasts in. Fox broadcasts in 720p. I do not know what ABC (my local station's signal is too weak for me to pick up) and NBC (1080i, I think?) broadcast in. My tuner up-converts all of it to 1080i anyways, so it doesn't really matter to me. As someone stated earlier, the only way to get 1080p is with either a Blu-Ray or HD DVD. Personally, I am in no hurry to upgrade my 1080i TV. I seriously doubt most people, if anyone, could really tell the difference between 1080i and 1080p anyway...

Hate to say it, but this is not correct. OTA HD broadcasts are not 1080p. The bandwidth required for 1080p is massive - more than can fit in an OTA broadcast channel, I am fairly sure. The best you can get OTA is 1080i, which is what CBS broadcasts in. Fox broadcasts in 720p. I do not know what ABC (my local station's signal is too weak for me to pick up) and NBC (1080i, I think?) broadcast in. My tuner up-converts all of it to 1080i anyways, so it doesn't really matter to me. As someone stated earlier, the only way to get 1080p is with either a Blu-Ray or HD DVD. Personally, I am in no hurry to upgrade my 1080i TV. I seriously doubt most people, if anyone, could really tell the difference between 1080i and 1080p anyway...

actually i am correct, over the air is the only way to get true 1080p content, there is no compression what so ever. every other format whether is cable satellite hd-dvd or blu-ray there is some form of compression, over the air 0 compression.

actually i am correct, over the air is the only way to get true 1080p content, there is no compression what so ever. every other format whether is cable satellite hd-dvd or blu-ray there is some form of compression, over the air 0 compression.

Okay, then, who is broadcasting in 1080p?

in my area PBS does, and well as a bunch of local channels that loop all kinds of content on 1080p.

I am sorry, but I seriously think you are mistaken. I know Wiki isn't always 100% correct, but please see here:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1080p

A quote from the article there:

Even though various television networks in the world broadcast HDTV programming in 1080i and 720p, no 1080p broadcasting actually exists at this time. Material that has been digitized from a 35-mm film source is basically 1080p24 though, fit into 1080i50 or 1080i60 (progressive with segmented frames) and with proper 3:2 reversal deinterlacing, can be converted back into a true 1080p signal (see above explanation).

I think your local stations are broadcasting in 1080i and your tuner or TV are upconverting the signal to 1080p.