Help configuring BitComet

Marcin541

I need help configuring BitComet. I have it set so that it can connect to a couple thousand people, however, after a night's worth of downloading, my computer can barely move the mouse. The speed is 4-5kbps, and it is connected to many, many people. If I set the connection limit to 100 (supposedly the recommened "max" for bitcomet), the speed is 20, as it doesnt connect to as many people as it should. What's causing the bitcomet to lag if it has too many connections? Is it my firewall? I recently had a problem with it lagging my pc because of bit torent as it logged every connection attempt through bt as a "hacker" attempting to connect to my pc, I did stop monitoring on the port I use for BitComet, and it stopped logging it aswell. But what can the problem be?

thx

I would not reccommend setting it to over 50 connections. It is just over kill really. If you  cant get a decent speed while DL from 50 people at the same time your screwed. Yea if you have a firewall you need to forward the port that BitComet is using through the firewall. Same goes for a router. See if this helps any. Anyway DONT set your connections to over 75, it is not going to help, if anything it will hurt.

http://www.testmy.net/forum/t-890

Well I was a bit hesitant setting it under 100 because of the fact that on my download I used to get 60-70kbps with it set at over 100, now with it at 75, i get only 4-5kbps. Only problem with setting it at over 100 was like I said, the lag. Thanks though, ill leave it at 50, see how it turns out

Well I was a bit hesitant setting it under 100 because of the fact that on my download I used to get 60-70kbps with it set at over 100, now with it at 75, i get only 4-5kbps. Only problem with setting it at over 100 was like I said, the lag. Thanks though, ill leave it at 50, see how it turns out

What are your upload speeds like. More than likely you are just "leeching" small amounts of data from a big source "over 100 connections". In other words you probably dont have BT configured right so nobody is sending you large amounts of data. So when you connect to 100 people and are getting 70kbps that is less than 1 kbps from each person. You need to configure right and your speeds will go WAY up. I usually connect to about 30 people in a torrent and get 250k down.

how many seeds are there on the torrent

Well after a night of downloading, these are the results. Over 3k leachers, and its not connecting to even 1. How do I "properly" configure BT then? From your guide, after skimming it, you say you use Azureus. I don't want to use that program, as its java based, and java needs alot of CPU just to run, so there is no chance I can run a game while downloading torrents. How do I know? I use limewire, and it takes about 30 seconds for it to respond after Im running a game, and trying to search for music, anyway, how do i configure BT so it allows me to accept large amounts of data?

Also, I dont know if this plays any sort of role in anything, but I have 2 computers which are running bit comet, and both use the same port. In my router, both of them are set to forward that port, can that be the reason?

Guest jeffwalker9999

:idea:

Use www.opera.com web browser as it has a torrent file support built into it now

and opera says " the fastest browser on earth"

my 2 cents