What's the most important aspect of a computer.

Marcin541

Okay, I've got an old Dell computer back from 2000 or something, its specs are:

Intel pentium 3 866 mhz

256 mb ram (133 mhz i believe)

10 gb 5200 rpm hard drive (had 20 gb 7.2k , but broken  :haha:)

4 MB integrated video card (yes, Its antique!!)

My question is, what out of the above is making the PC so slow? What I mean is my friend's desktop doesn't have specs that are so much "better" than mine, the only big difference is the processor

his specs are:

Intel p4 1.8 ghz

256MB RDRAM (o.O)

30 gb 7.2k rpm hd

32mb integrated intel graphics card

Now, the performance difference of these 2 pc's is extremely different. I'm not talking about playing games or anything, but basic things such as browsing the internet, or viewing movies. I can say that my PC is about 3 times slower than his. I was thinking of upgrading mine to make it close to the standard pc's today, but Im not sure which part to upgrade. The only difference I see is the processor but can that be making it so slow?

Thanks.

the processor is the biggest thing making his faster but he also has a newer and faster hard drive and his ram is definitely faster  even though it is the same amount i bet it is.  on some speed tests the graphics card will play a role and 4 mb is way too small so his comp seems like its faster in all area's

I wasnt talking about speed test's being slower. And also, I did have a 20 GB 7.2k rpm hard drive which is broken, and it did not make much difference.

I never thought a processor made that much difference.

Also, on a side note, how come RDRAM is so expensive, and can he use DDRAM instead?  :shock:

Marcin541 its the whole computer, slow hard drive, slow ram and not enough of it, and slow processor, there really isnt anything that will make it fast except a new computer.

This computer is only used for web browsing, music and movie watching, do you suggest I visit a site such as newegg.com and buy some cheap parts to build a new one?

The newer components are cheaper and more efficient.

You may spend 200 bucks trying to find parts to upgrade your existing PC when you can go all new basic components for just a little bit more.

I have a 4 year old P4 2.53 GHz that I wanted to upgrade, but after checking into the older memory and the fact that it only supports the first HT processors, I have decided to go all new.

Just doesn't make sense to dump money into an old fart anymore.  :grin2:

Hi Marcin!  :grin2:I'm no stranger to elder-computers, nor do they suck bilge water necessarily. For any computer, however 'fast' or capacious it's memory(s) and storage media...*not* junking it up is key to quick like a fox...but we all make mistakes...and have to back track and un-junk and stuff. That and good maintenance habits, and you're likely not to have many problems...I'll send up good thoughts for you and your computer. I hate to just dump one that's still perfect to give in to peer pressure, but if you can't get the performance YOU need...by all means...now's the time to get new equipment...and clean up your old as best you can and give to some needy soul. Hey, don't EVEN think I'm meaning any forum member *besides myself* with this picture, but I can't resist...had it as my 'avatar' elsewhere, I grabbed it somewhere..couldn't 'build' a smiley if my life depended on it :idiot2:

you, my friend.............

need a new computer :)

I dont use that PC, its way too slow :P. I myself have an AMD 3700+, 1 gig ram, and ati radeon 9700 pro, and its a laptop, which has Cool n'quiet technology, I can regulate the frequency of the processor live through a program, and even with it set at 800 mhz, the performance of web browsing and basic office applications does not change. Thats why I was asking if it really WAS in fact the processor.

The newer components are cheaper and more efficient.

You may spend 200 bucks trying to find parts to upgrade your existing PC when you can go all new basic components for just a little bit more.

I have a 4 year old P4 2.53 GHz that I wanted to upgrade, but after checking into the older memory and the fact that it only supports the first HT processors, I have decided to go all new.

Just doesn't make sense to dump money into an old fart anymore. 

Like I already mentioned, there is no reason at all that I buy a duo core processor, 4 gb ram, 1 tb hard drive, and dual graphics cards for browsing the internet, watching movies, and listening to music. I'd be happy if the new computer had a 2 ghz processor, 512 ram, 80gb hard drive, and any graphics card would do. I was looking at prices of these things at newegg.com and with everything it would come out to arouns $200.