Help a senior to move from dial-up to satellite

papapaul

Moving (?) to satellite. New to the forum. Read a lot: now afraid. Seems to be a problem to have speed. Help me. Thinking of XPLORNET or HUGHES. Will do p2p. Living in Canada (Laurentians - Quebec). Router?(wireless) Important the brand? What will you do for yourself (money is not an issue). Please give me suggestions.

Welcome to the forum papapaul   :wave:  :welcome:

Or Wild Blue maybe?

Actually either will do. Hughes is been in the business a bit longer than the others. WB came out of the starting gate about a year ago hot to trot, but they are getting similar results now. As to Explore Net, I am just now getting feedback recently on them. They seem ok.

What in particular will you be doing on it?

Hello and welcome to the site Papa, glad to have you. Satelite of course is not the best but definitely beats dial up. My father in law has Hughes here in the states and seems pleased with it. All satelites will probably be about equally crappy for P2P. I'm not sure if you are wanting a recommendation on the router or just letting us know you have one. Everyone here seems to like Linksys or Dlink, usually one and not the other.  :haha:

Dum question. What is wireless internet? Are you talking wireless from the modem to the comp? If its that i understand.

I think he is talking about wireless internet. You get a receiver at your house, sometimes an antenna that runs to a modem, and the ISP  shoots the signal to your house over the air. It is usually quicker and about the same price as satellite. But of course that is if its available in your area. I know it is in mine its called Clear Wire. And there is no such thing as a dumb question, everyone learns everything they know at one point from some other source. :grin2: :grin2:

Yea wireless is what shug7272 said...Im paying $50 a month for 3 meg business.  Iits xplornet wireless.

Man, thats not bad for wireless. How is your actual speed compared to advertised. By the way I dont think I have got to welcome you yet, Welcome.  :grin2: :grin2:

I have the satellite internet from Xplornet.  Had it for months now.  I've got the KaBang. Supposed to be 1 Mbps down and 256 Kbps up.  Not a chance.  Usually half that or less.  A lot of stalls and disconnects.  I wouldn't recommend it for the money.  Not only the monthly fee, but you have to pay an arm and a leg for installation and the equipment.  Anytime I call tech support, they do nothing to help.  Is there any way to get better service out of these guys?  I called tech support last night because I kept getting dissconnected.  There has not been a single day that I've had a constant connection.  This time they said I got FAPed.  This is not true.  I monitor my data transfer and it was no where near the 169MB limit.  Tried the modem, tried the anit virus, tried the spyware, took my computer to work with no probems.  They have a list of excuses to get rid of you.  Don't buy it.  If you're having constant problems, it's on their end but they won't admit it.  I've troubleshooted ever possible scenario and it all boils down to them having crap service.  I am expecting a "LEVEL 2" call today because I stumped the "LEVEL 1" guy last night.  I will keep everyone posted and I will continue to spread my story until I am satisfied with their service or get a refund on the $800 installation and equipment charge.  There are employees of Xplornet that post here as well and they have nothing but good things to say.  Do your research people. 

Just got off the phone with Telus and they will have DSL in my area within 2 months.  That means that Xplornet will only have my business for 2 more months!!!  Thank God!!!  Nothing worse than crap service.  It seems that's the only kind you get in Alberta!!!  Kills me to have paid $800 for equipment and installation.  I'll never have anything good to say about Xplornet.

Third post exactly the same, I think that is considered spam. Personally if I saw it that much, I would have to figure you are from the competition. Any possibility of that?  :grin2:

http://www.testmy.net/forum/index.php?topic=17709.msg197178#msg197178

If I see it a fourth time I will be reporting it to a moderator and possibly have them removed. Just a friendly warning.  :smile2: