360 xbl FIOS problem

thecontact

This is my first time in this forum I am from md(maryland), so far it is the only forum that I can see that can tell me how to handle fios. About a year ago I droped comcast as I live at the end of a buisy street and the connection was causing my 360 to lose its xbox live connection as well as a slew of other problems related to the connection to just simply not be steady enough to handle the 360. The FIOS problems started about a year ago and I have yet to see them resolved I have the 15000/2000 package while I get over 15 about 15.250-15.300down/1500up. I am playing gears of war now which has a terrible online interface but I still see all my friends still able to get a full room in rank especially while when I host my face is red with no results. I have my 360 configured for DMZ host to my 360 but when that doesnt SEEM to work I plug in my PPPOE settings to my 360, but thats about as far as I can go with my technical jargin. Even with PPPOE pluged in I still see problems and I know this is either verizon or gears of was being problematic but that still doesnt explain why my friends who when I play on their host I experience shot lag and when I question the other people on my team they experience slow bullet fire just like I am, and you can see it when you die you can watch them. I first noticed this problem in splinter cell with a d-link router so I called verizon and had the d-link replaced with an actiontek. I am running a verizon speed test http://speedtest.verizon.net/SpeedTester/help_speedtest.jsp and from that I am getting that 0.01% packets are coming back out-of-order almost all the time and some new message that is saying that There were 2 packets retransmitted, 203 duplicate acks received, and 203 SACK blocks received, but I have only seen that once well after I downloaded something on 1up.com. I called verizon this past week to get someone to come out they told me that the connection readings they were getting were telling them that the download spiked up to about 22,000 on the down and that they needed to "clean" the line. While I find a good cleaning a good idea I also know that human beings make mistakes and it seemed like that was all that verizon would let them do. FIOS tech support tells me that people playing on their xbox experience no problems with their FIOS and that I am the only person experiencing any problems. I would hope that anyone with verizon experiencing the same problem with their FIOS to either call fios and tell them to get their act together in maryland or tell me how the problem was resolved. Please help any kind of good charity would be appreciated I have had a horrible christmas and new years and I dont want to hear from verizon that I need to move because I love my xbox360 and all my friends I play with online, I am 25 years of age with a networking degree and find it hard to believe that verizon is just gonna do nothing but clean the line. There has to be something I can do, but I cant even E-mail someone at verizon as there is no email tech support so I cant reach the geeks there.

Wow..  First welcome to the forum!  Sorry to hear about your problems with Verizon...

So lets get started... You are using the RI408 router from Actiontec?  From what I have read on the xbox 360 forums the best way to ensure game play is to have an "open" NAT.  The ways that I have seen it done, with some varying degrees of success, via DMZ, port forward and UPnP.  I would try the UPnP way first as I am not 100% sure that Verizon enables it on their routers.

Basically navigate to the advanced screen then select Universal Plug & Play.  That create an "open" NAT condition.  The other thing to check would be for new firmware.

Give that a try first.  The dropped packets dont concern me because the games, for the most part, run on UDP which doesnt require packet acknowledgment. 

RI408 user manual: http://onlinehelp.verizon.net/consumer/bin/pdf/ActiontecR1408UserManual.pdf

First off thank you for replying to my post I already have the dmz host set to the 360 as when I try to use port forwarding I dont have the same results as when I plug my PPPoe settings into my 360. For instince when I tried to use the router tonight it was unuseable so I pluged in direct to my wall socket. As for the universal plug and play I will check that and give you an answer but Im prety sure that verizon already did that when they remote accessed my PC. This is not so much a bandwidth problem as the connection is not steady, and when people go to search for me in gears of war games they cant find me because my connection has a pause for I think 40ms myspeed.visualware.net is where I checked for that and it is the only thing standing between me getting this thing to work right.

After further examination of the router I am using there doesnts seem to be any universal plug and play settings to the router but I know what you are talking about as I tried a lynksys that simply craped out on me about a month ago. This problem doesnt seem to be internal as much as it is line side out on the street or somewhere between the street and verizon which sux because this is fiber optic.

oh yeah and they said that they couldnt do anything like comcast could. With copper line they can adjust levels and those kinda things where fios cannot but there is a problem as I used to play doa4 as soon as it came out on fios and there were no problems I could play all day without so much as a skip.