Hello to you all....

brokersdad

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow...don't know how i missed this one...i was gonna move it to a help section...

but i'm sure glad granpa was here to help ya...and a sexy granpa he is too... :)

simi-dimpskin welcome to the forum...really hope u enjoy ur stay...browse around and check out all the stuff in off topic...when ur done with all the tech stuff that is...most of all have fun...we're just one big happy family...be sure to book mark us so u never forget where all the fun is

hey tommie...u have satellite don't u...or am i confused...watch the wise cracks sweetie  :haha:

:::.. testmy.net test results ..:::

Download Connection is:: 185 Kbps about 0.19 Mbps (tested with 386 kB)

Download Speed is:: 23 kB/s

Upload Connection is:: 50 Kbps about 0.1 Mbps (tested with 97 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 6 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net (Server 2)

Test Time:: 2007/01/15 - 1:49pm

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-JQDNAXC13

U-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-WTKV30IJF

User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727) [!]

:sad:

::::::::::.. testmy.net test results ..::::::::::

Download Connection is:: 185 Kbps about 0.19 Mbps (tested with 386 kB)

Download Speed is:: 23 kB/s

Upload Connection is:: 50 Kbps about 0.1 Mbps (tested with 97 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 6 kB/s

:sad:

What kind of weather did you have yesterday? My speeds were down considerably with our ice storm but I never lost the connection. This is what I had January 15th, 03:43PM - Dn 471/Up 81 kbps done through Hughesnet speedtest and I did clean some ice off early when my signal got near 50. I hope you made some sense of what had told you. Keep us informed and bring your questions.  :icon_scratch:

Yea granpa, the weather was turning crappy,then we  had snow last night. I have had some pretty crappy tests over the weekend tho in good weather, as we've already Pm'd over. As for the info you gave me, yes, I understand what your saying re: traffic  etc and speeds. I do think it sucks how a provider offers a service stating you"can" get speeds up to such and such but realistically they know you wont, but thats buisness I guess, and I pretty well had an idea of it before I got into the satellite system. Right now I just have to make my decision on whether or not i'm going to keep it hooked up or go back to my dial up, as I don't want to pay for both.  Dail up sucks but it does allow me to do most things I want to do ( gaming), surfing etc.  Then satellite allows me to watch videos (after buffering alot) but I have been finding it slower on some net surfing then dial up. They both have their goods and bads, just up to me now to pick.  :)  btw, dont know if I showed you this one, but this was myy worst test from the weekend

http://www.speedtest.net/result/74102661.png

Dail up sucks but it does allow me to do most things I want to do ( gaming), surfing etc.  Then satellite allows me to watch videos (after buffering alot) but I have been finding it slower on some net surfing then dial up. They both have their goods and bads, just up to me now to pick.

:idea:

You need to watch out with videos, not good for sat since it can put you in the FAP Zone. Maybe this has already happened to you? Many don't realize this and run their new found speed to the max. You really need to know your limits and the system so it doesn't happen, FAP  :shock:

wow...don't know how i missed this one...i was gonna move it to a help section...

but i'm sure glad granpa was here to help ya...and a sexy granpa he is too... :)

:haha:

Well since I read this I've completely gone through my computer room, pulled everything apart, put everything back together, found parts I didn't know I had but I couldn't find any hidden surveillance devices, how could you see?  :oops:

:rolleyes:

:idea:

You need to watch out with videos, not good for sat since it can put you in the FAP Zone. Maybe this has already happened to you? Many don't realize this and run their new found speed to the max. You really need to know your limits and the system so it doesn't happen, FAP   :shock:

I always thought the FAP would allow me to empty my bucket (350MB) every 4hrs......this is not how it works. The good thing is you can browse the web at your regular speed in about 10-15mins....however there is only just a few MB in your bucket so you cant do much. The way most users come across it was dial up speeds until the bucket is full (again not the case). Don't assume the bucket is full again until after 14 hours or so, to download another 350MB file or you will again be under the FAP.

note:Hughes seems to be more lenient with the FAP during the wee hours

I always thought the FAP would allow me to empty my bucket (350MB) every 4hrs......this is not how it works.

I think your close there, but simi-dimpskin is on xPlornet and I believe there is a lower limit than we have on Hughes, his plan is about 500/128. All I could find out is that xPlornet in Canada is WildBlue here, they use the same equipment as far as I could tell and his sat is aimed at WB. From what I understood once their limit was obtained it held choked for the month. Help if you know more on it, anything, he's new to sat.

Well since I read this I've completely gone through my computer room, pulled everything apart, put everything back together, found parts I didn't know I had but I couldn't find any hidden surveillance devices, how could you see?   :oops:

She painted on the side of your coffee cup grandpa. It is one of the eyeballs.  :shock:

So does FAP also affect U/L? And if FAP'd why are his D/L speeds almost 200? Or is that what folks consider dial-up speeds?

Another thing also simi-dimpskin, it would be easier to tell what is going on if you would use a larger test file, instead of the smart test. As it is not as accurate. Try the 1496 for D/L test, and the 579 for U/L test. And be sure to remove temp files before testing. Thanks  :grin2:

Well since I read this I've completely gone through my computer room, pulled everything apart, put everything back together, found parts I didn't know I had but I couldn't find any hidden surveillance devices, how could you see?  :oops:

yep i use a tiny little (almost microscopic) camera...u'll never find it...but it's embedded in something u bought 2-3 weeks ago (hint)...man have i got some good pics  :smitten:

She painted on the side of your coffee cup grandpa. It is one of the eyeballs.  :shock:

I'm scrubbing the eyes off my cup as you read.  :violent5:

So does FAP also affect U/L? And if FAP'd why are his D/L speeds almost 200? Or is that what folks consider dial-up speeds?

Another thing also simi-dimpskin, it would be easier to tell what is going on if you would use a larger test file, instead of the SmarTest. As it is not as accurate. Try the 1496 for D/L test, and the 579 for U/L test. And be sure to remove temp files before testing. Thanks  :grin2:

I'm not sure if it would effect both on his system, it's possible they just throttle the D/L side. The test results have been spotty, inconsistent, also weather takes part.

Yes, use a larger file, and I would try to test once or twice at different times during the day, not just because you think it's slow, but for a pattern of what is happening. This takes patience and a number of days. Avoid videos, it eats up your allotment.  :icon_pale:

• 2 weeks later...