New - Make it faster, please?

MuseEffigy

Hi there! I'm new, so I'm hoping I could get a little help. I checked out my speed and found that it's about 13% of what it should be, according to other users of my ISP, and was looking to improve on that. I'll list my stats and info in the order they are asked for in the sticky post. Keep in mind I am a almost a complete newbie when it comes to tweaking my DSL. I know how to change my password, look at what my up and down speeds are, and that's about it.

Thanks!

1) My OS is Windows XP.

2) My provider is Verizon Online. The advertised speed is up to 3.0 mpbs. Which I have never seen.

3)

Welcome to the forum, glad to have you.  :hello:

Second off, we dont have noobs here, we dont even use the word. Everyone learns everything at some point. Hell if noobs werent allowed here I wouldnt even be able to speed test.

The easiest and quickest tweek is TCPoptimizer.

Here is the link, just download it, run it, tell it what connection you have and then in the lower right hand of the screen choose optimal settings. Hit save and reboot. Then retest and see if it helped. Usually when speeds are off that much you have a bigger problem than tweaking will help. You may have to call your ISP and complain relentlessly. Cable Nut is great too but I am not Van Buren and understand little of it.  :uglystupid2:

http://www.testmy.net/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1013.0;attach=21260

Hey, thanks for the help, I'm a lot faster now. And my ping in games is crazy. U cackled with glee when I saw how much faster I had become... About 2.8 mpbs d/l and .6 u/l speeds. Yay!

:icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: Thats great to hear.  :grin2: The owner of the site relies on word of mouth advertising so please if you like the site tell a friend.  :grin2: