Speed Help

Nomuken

Okay my family got D-way at our house because we live somewhat in the country and I hate it because it's pretty much really slow for torrents and trying to download stepmania songs from certain sites.

I've tried learning portforwarding and stuff and I don't really get it. And I'm not really all that great at dealing with computer problems. My download speeds for torrents are like 0-5 kb/s and that's about maximum. And for most regular downloads it's about 8-15kb/s. I'm fairly sure that those speeds are absolute garbage. Sorry I'm such a D.A. but can anyone help?

Try posting a speed test with the 2992 file test. Clean out your temp files before clicking on the link, it will take you directly into the test. Top of your browser*Tools*Internet Options*Delete Files including Offline content*OK*OK*now test.

http://www.testmy.net/dl-2992

Then read and do this if you do not already.

Achieve the Best Performance Out of Your Computer

http://www.testmy.net/forum/t-4257

And welcome to the forum Nomuken   :wave::welcome:

:grin2:

If you are going to use torrents on Hughesnet, you are going to have to purchase the static IP service.  You cannot accept the incoming connections that BT requires without a static IP service.  Without it, your speeds will be horrible.  THen again, your speeds will be horrible on BT no matter what.  Also, the best program for bit torrents to use on Hughesnet is "BitTorrent", or UTorrent.  Azureus will not work, and hasn't for quite some time.  Make sure that you are aware of FAP (Fair Access Policy) as well.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/satellite/2._General_Information#4496

I haven't tried changing anything yet other than opening up ports but I'm not quite sure how to do anyting else. I'm at school right now so I can't do anything yet.

How much is the static IP service and is there really no other way to make torrents go faster without that?

Thanks for all the help and welcomes. :grin2:

How much is the static IP service and is there really no other way to make torrents go faster without that?

Looks like you have the DW7000 Pro Plan. I think a static IP is $10 or $20 more, not sure. I know for The 7000S it is $10.

If you are on a DW7000, the static IP is $20 extra per month, and that is the ONLY way to speed them up.  However, it is evident to me that Torrents are being toggled on the Hughes network, because I can connect to peers, but not seeders.  So my files never finish. 

Your best bet for P2P is to use Shareaza, or Frostwire.  Frostwire works great, and doesn't require the static IP.

And FYI, you can forward any ports or anything like that without the static IP service.

If you are on a DW7000, the static IP is $20 extra per month, and that is the ONLY way to speed them up.  However, it is evident to me that Torrents are being toggled on the Hughes network, because I can connect to peers, but not seeders.  So my files never finish. 

Your best bet for P2P is to use Shareaza, or Frostwire.  Frostwire works great, and doesn't require the static IP.

And FYI, you can forward any ports or anything like that without the static IP service.

When using Frostwire....what settings do you use for upload slots and bandwidth usage  :?:

I have the static ip, so I have port 6346 manually forwarded to my machine.  I use the lowest upload speed possible.  Luckily, I hardly ever upload anything.  I guess it's because of connection timeouts when people connect to me, I dunno.  I set the download bandwidth to max though.

Thanks for the help :smitten: I just like using torrents because I find better results for things I need. I'll see about getting the static Ip though, but for the meantime I'll try Frostwire.  :grin:

Again, Thanks so much for the help. I just really wanted to find a place where I could get a real answer.