Losing Connection Constantly?

JTD1688

Arghh, this is killing me. I have no idea what the problem is. Ok, I'll start off by saying that my internet connection is quite good, when it works that is. For the past few months, I have been losing connection constantly. I haven't even been able to narrow it down to a problem with the service provider or something like wires in the house, or hardware. Something gives me a strong feeling that it has something to do with hardware though. Every single night, if the computer is not left on standby, it will lose its connection to the internet. Thus, if I'm trying to do anything that involves the internet while I sleep, it will be not much further than where I left it when I went to bed. Also, if I'm playing on my Xbox 360, I frequently lose connection in the middle of a game, but it comes back shortly. Does anybody know anything I can check to pinpoint my problem? My router is a Linksys and my ISP is Comcast. I am very appreciative of any and all help since I clearly cannot fix this on my own.

First off, welcome to the forum JTD1688! :welcome:

Now, you said you lose connection if your computer is not on or on standby? Well simply try unplugging the computer from the router and a power cycle of the modem and the router. Comcast is know to have problems with the Xbox Live service. So can you do a few things for me? Do a Dual Speedtest, select server1. Once done post the results here. Next, on your computer do this.  Start> Run> cmd> tracert testmy.net   Once this is done copy and paste our results. If none of this seems to work then a simple call to Comcast would be great. Thanks, and again welcome!  :grin2:

Thank you for the very warm welcome! Well, I just tested my connection and it seems fine. It was actually a little bit slower than usual but it was still fine. Here are the results:

:::.. testmy.net test results ..:::

Download Connection is:: 4654 Kbps about 4.65 Mbps (tested with 5983 kB)

Download Speed is:: 568 kB/s

Upload Connection is:: 690 Kbps about 0.7 Mbps (tested with 1496 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 84 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net (Server 1)

Test Time:: 2007/01/12 - 12:57pm

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-WNAM3K7ZQ

U-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-AZ0M5LB7H

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.9) Gecko/20061206 Firefox/1.5.0.9 [!]

I ran the other test as well, but I'm not sure what it does. I suppose it might have something to do with ping? However, the test did complete successfully. Perhaps it could have something to do with how many times the wire is split before it gets to my modem, but the Comcast technician installed it. Could he have messed up? Like I said, randomly the internet goes out for periods of 30 seconds to ten minutes, but it usually comes back on. However, when I leave my computer on overnight, my connection is always lost by morning. When I start Mozilla rather than going to my homepage it will say Done in the bottom left corner and that's it; it never loads. I guess I'll probably just give Comcast a call. Thanks for the help.

Thank you for the very warm welcome! Well, I just tested my connection and it seems fine. It was actually a little bit slower than usual but it was still fine. Here are the results:

::::::::::.. testmy.net test results ..::::::::::

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.9) Gecko/20061206 Firefox/1.5.0.9

I ran the other test as well, but I'm not sure what it does. I suppose it might have something to do with ping? However, the test did complete successfully. Perhaps it could have something to do with how many times the wire is split before it gets to my modem, but the Comcast technician installed it. Could he have messed up? Like I said, randomly the internet goes out for periods of 30 seconds to ten minutes, but it usually comes back on. However, when I leave my computer on overnight, my connection is always lost by morning. When I start Mozilla rather than going to my homepage it will say Done in the bottom left corner and that's it; it never loads. I guess I'll probably just give Comcast a call. Thanks for the help.

Can you see the spitters are they above ground? Or are they in your basement?

::::::::::.. testmy.net test results ..::::::::::

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.9) Gecko/20061206 Firefox/1.5.0.9

JTD1688  What kinda modem do you have?

BTW its a little to early to assume you have a cable or splitter problem with out more info.  :)

lol, its quite easy to tell.. i have had the same problem before... i get a great signal to my modem because we have 1 line for TV and 1 for internet/cablemodem.. my signal ATM is..

lol, its quite easy to tell.. i have had the same problem before... i get a great signal to my modem because we have 1 line for TV and 1 for internet/cablemodem.. my signal ATM is..

Sounds good and I am glad you can find you diag page, but it may be more informational to see his logs before we make a judgment call.

My modem is the Motorolla modem by Comcast. I'm unable to check what the exact model is right now. The splitters, I'm quite sure, are above ground. However, as I said, Comcast installed them so I'm not exactly sure. Could a splitter simply go bad? And if it did, are these the types of problems I would if it did? I mean, like I said, usually it's not that big of a problem, but it can be if I'm doing something important that uses the internet. I believe there is a splitter that runs from the telephone pole to the back of my house, but I think that is a part that can only be replaced by Comcast. I am sure though that there is/are splitter(s) before the cable reaches my house. Would you suggest I try replacing this to see if it resolves the problem. Also, could it have anything at all to do with the settings on my router? Thank you for all the help thus far!

It very well could be a modem or splitter problems as well as many other things. I would start by looking at the diag page of your cable modem. For Motorola that web address is 192.168.100.1. You will want to post your results so we can get a look at that.

Since there is also a router in the mix it would be informative to attempt to ping your internal gateway and external gateway at the time you are experiencing loss of service to see if and where the traffic is getting dropped at.

Yes it is. but my speeds are better.

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Download Connection is:: 10217 Kbps about 10.2 Mbps (tested with 12160 kB)

Download Speed is:: 1247 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Server 1)

Test Time:: 2007/01/12 - 9:14pm

Bottom Line:: 178X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 0.82 sec

Tested from a 12160 kB file and took 9.75 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 121.24 % faster than the average for host (insightbb.com)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-4Y5CRNM3Q

User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; Maxthon; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727) [!]

:::.. Upload Stats ..:::

Upload Connection is:: 940 Kbps about 0.9 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 115 kB/s

Test Time:: 2007/01/12 - 9:16pm

Bottom Line:: 16X faster than 56K 1MB Upload in 8.9 sec

Tested from a 2992 kB file and took 26.062 seconds to complete

Upload Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 66.37 % faster than the average for host (insightbb.com)

U-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-4ILO6N0DS

User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; Maxthon; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727) [!]

It very well could be a modem or splitter problems as well as many other things. I would start by looking at the diag page of your cable modem. For Motorola that web address is 192.168.100.1. You will want to post your results so we can get a look at that.

Since there is also a router in the mix it would be informative to attempt to ping your internal gateway and external gateway at the time you are experiencing loss of service to see if and where the traffic is getting dropped at.

The community on these forums is unbelieveable, probably the best I've seen! I will definitly try pushing the reset button on my router when I get the chance. I am unable to access the room with my modem and router because family members are sleeping in there right now. How can I go about pinging my internal and external gateway when my connection is dropped? Sorry about asking so many questions, but networking is just not my strong point with computers and this problem could be caused by so many different things.

If you run ipconfig from a command prompt you will see what you internal gateway is (i.e. 192.168.1.1 <-- default for linksys router) then at command prompt type ping -n 50 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (your gateway) and see if you get a response.

External gateway my be a bit more difficult to determine if you don't have access to your router but it is displayed in your router configuration.

Yes it is. but my speeds are better.

u wish

Download Connection is:: 56823 Kbps about 56.8 Mbps (tested with 12160 kB)

Download Speed is:: 6936 kB/s

Test Time:: 2007/01/12 - 10:56pm

Bottom Line:: 991X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 0.15 sec

Tested from a 12160 kB file and took 1.753 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 1128.61 % faster than the average for host (insightbb.com)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-OXG3R10ZC

User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.2; Maxthon; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727) [!]

haha..... i know, its cached... wait.. actually, its TURBOOO!!!

Download Connection is:: 10119 Kbps about 10.1 Mbps (tested with 12160 kB)

Download Speed is:: 1235 kB/s

Test Time:: 2007/01/13 - 8:00am

Bottom Line:: 176X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 0.83 sec

Tested from a 12160 kB file and took 9.844 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 118.08 % faster than the average for host (insightbb.com)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-ZSIPJC2D4

User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.2; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727) [!]

:::.. Upload Stats ..:::

Upload Connection is:: 938 Kbps about 0.9 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 115 kB/s

Test Time:: 2007/01/13 - 8:06am

Bottom Line:: 16X faster than 56K 1MB Upload in 8.9 sec

Tested from a 2992 kB file and took 26.117 seconds to complete

Upload Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 65.72 % faster than the average for host (insightbb.com)

U-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-Q6JMB3NOI

User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.2; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727) [!]

i cant get any higher... except when i'm on wireless-- close to 11 mbps

The community on these forums is unbelieveable, probably the best I've seen! I will definitly try pushing the reset button on my router when I get the chance. I am unable to access the room with my modem and router because family members are sleeping in there right now. How can I go about pinging my internal and external gateway when my connection is dropped? Sorry about asking so many questions, but networking is just not my strong point with computers and this problem could be caused by so many different things.

Welcome to the forum JTD1688-

When you get a chance, do as rushonbye suggested and type 192.168.100.1 into your web browser (from any PC on your network) and go to the "signal" page and copy and paste those levels back here so we can see what your modem levels look like.

Here is mine, for example:

Frequency  595750000 Hz

Signal to Noise Ratio 35 dB

QAM QAM256

Network Access Control Object ON

Power Level 10 dBmV 

The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading

Upstream Value

Channel ID 4

Frequency 37200000 Hz

Ranging Service ID 7784

Symbol Rate 2.560 Msym/s

Power Level 45 dBmV

(my Rx is kind of smokin' but it's only 9

Here are my results from the modem page. This morning was the same old deal, meaning my computer lost connection overnight, but once the computer is restarted it worked fine.

Downstream                          Value

Frequency                             723000000 Hz

Signal to Noise Ratio                   36 dB

QAM                                       QAM256

Network Access Control Object   ON

Power Level                             -1 dBmV 

The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading

Upstream                     Value

Channel ID                       3

Frequency                       31000000 Hz

Ranging Service ID           447

Symbol Rate                     2.560 Msym/s

Power Level                       42 dBmV

I hit the reset button on my router today, and I'm still waiting to see if I experience problems.

Great, signal levels look pretty good at the modem. More than likely it is not the problem of to many splitters. Since you have a router would it be a safe assumption that there is more than one computer using the connection? If so, lets wait until it goes down again and see if all workstations are losing connectivity.

Also today when it was down did you try to ping you internal gateway as suggested?

No  :uglystupid2: I forgot the command to use in the prompt to ping the connection. Just now, however, it was down for about 5 minutes. When I tried to go online with Firefox I would get the error saying, "Your connection has timed out." I have seen an error that says there is an IP address conflict with another computer on your network before however. I do not see this every time the connection drops though, I've only seen it a few times, probably less than 1 out of every 25 times it drops.

Right now I'm leaning towards a router issue. This is not, however the first router I've had this problem with. I bought this router simply thinking that the old router was shot, but this one makes no difference. I've noticed that when the connection drops briefly, both computers on the network do lose the connection. I've also noticed that I was able to network my Xbox 360 and computer before, when I didn't have this problem, whereas now the 360 does not pick up my computer as in the network any longer. Next time my conncection drops I'll be sure to ping the internal gateway. Once again, thanks so much for the help, you guys are quick!

No  :uglystupid2: I forgot the command to use in the prompt to ping the connection. Just now, however, it was down for about 5 minutes. When I tried to go online with Firefox I would get the error saying, "Your connection has timed out." I have seen an error that says there is an IP address conflict with another computer on your network before however. I do not see this every time the connection drops though, I've only seen it a few times, probably less than 1 out of every 25 times it drops.

Right now I'm leaning towards a router issue. This is not, however the first router I've had this problem with. I bought this router simply thinking that the old router was shot, but this one makes no difference. I've noticed that when the connection drops briefly, both computers on the network do lose the connection. I've also noticed that I was able to network my Xbox 360 and computer before, when I didn't have this problem, whereas now the 360 does not pick up my computer as in the network any longer. Next time my conncection drops I'll be sure to ping the internal gateway. Once again, thanks so much for the help, you guys are quick!

So try a direct connect to the modem. Have you assigned any of the computers static ips from the router? That's why your having the IP conflict problem.