Losing Connection Constantly?

JTD1688

No  :uglystupid2: I forgot the command to use in the prompt to ping the connection. Just now, however, it was down for about 5 minutes. When I tried to go online with Firefox I would get the error saying, "Your connection has timed out." I have seen an error that says there is an IP address conflict with another computer on your network before however. I do not see this every time the connection drops though, I've only seen it a few times, probably less than 1 out of every 25 times it drops.

Right now I'm leaning toward a router issue. This is not, however the first router I've had this problem with. I bought this router simply thinking that the old router was shot, but this one makes no difference. I've noticed that when the connection drops briefly, both computers on the network do lose the connection. I've also noticed that I was able to network my Xbox 360 and computer before, when I didn't have this problem, whereas now the 360 does not pick up my computer as in the network any longer. Next time my conncection drops I'll be sure to ping the internal gateway. Once again, thanks so much for the help, you guys are quick!

It is starting to sound more and more like a issue with your connection to the router but we can not rule out a modem issue yet. Considering you are having frequent IP conflicts I think you should take steps to resolve that once and for all so we can rule that out if problems continue. Assuming the router is set at default configuration it will hand out DHCP leases at xxx.xxx.xxx.100 and above (i.e if linksys 192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.150). So I would recommend changing the IP address on your machine and changing it to something less than 100 in the last octet.

http://www.hotcomm.com/FAQ/FAQ_staticIPXP.asp

http://www.duxcw.com/faq/network/ipconfig.htm

I've assigned a static IP address to one computer on the network. Should I do the same for the other and my Xbox 360? I also reset any changes I had previously made to my router settings to default and upgraded the firmware. I have a good feeling we may be getting somewhere. I'm assuming I should assign static IP addresses on everything on the network so I'll do that now, and then, I guess we wait.

EDIT: Should I change the setting under my router control panel that says "Obtain IP Automatically" to "Static IP" or will that only set up a static IP for the router itself? Also, should I disable the DHCP server in my router settings?

I've assigned a static IP address to one computer on the network. Should I do the same for the other and my Xbox 360? I also reset any changes I had previously made to my router settings to default and upgraded the firmware. I have a good feeling we may be getting somewhere. I'm assuming I should assign static IP addresses on everything on the network so I'll do that now, and then, I guess we wait.

EDIT: Should I change the setting under my router control panel that says "Obtain IP Automatically" to "Static IP" or will that only set up a static IP for the router itself? Also, should I disable the DHCP server in my router settings?

Your router is trying to give the static ip to another client on your network either give everthing a static ip or chnage that one pc with a static ip to ip 192.168.0.120 or 192.168.1.120 (Whichever applies to you)

no do not change that, that is for your ISP settings.

Ok, I've changed all the systems on my network to Static IP and everything has worked fine thus far. Of course, the real test will be overnight tonight. I think there is a decent chance of this working, but I don't want to get my hopes up. I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks.

Ok, I've changed all the systems on my network to Static IP and everything has worked fine thus far. Of course, the real test will be overnight tonight. I think there is a decent chance of this working, but I don't want to get my hopes up. I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks.

Great, let us know how it works out in the morning or sooner if problems arise.  :)

Meh, still no luck. I can't understand what could possibly be the problem. I'm using Mozilla Firefox and a half hour ago it worked fine. Now I just came to my computer and when I open Firefox I don't get an error or anything, it just says "Done" in the bottom left corner and that's it, the screen remains blank. The Bittorrent Client I'm using also lost its connection. I restart my computer though and then it works fine. I'm stumped. If anybody has any ideas left let me know, but if not, don't worry about it. I realize you guys have run me through pretty much every test there is, with the usual troubleshooting, and I am thankful for that.

P.S.- When the connection was not working just a few minutes ago I tried to ping the internal address and the results were fine. Nothing was lost and everything was completing in <1ms.

EDIT: When I used Internet Explorer rather than Firefox it would say "This page cannot be displayed."

Meh, still no luck. I can't understand what could possibly be the problem. I'm using Mozilla Firefox and a half hour ago it worked fine. Now I just came to my computer and when I open Firefox I don't get an error or anything, it just says "Done" in the bottom left corner and that's it, the screen remains blank. The Bittorrent Client I'm using also lost its connection. I restart my computer though and then it works fine. I'm stumped. If anybody has any ideas left let me know, but if not, don't worry about it. I realize you guys have run me through pretty much every test there is, with the usual troubleshooting, and I am thankful for that.

P.S.- When the connection was not working just a few minutes ago I tried to ping the internal address and the results were fine. Nothing was lost and everything was completing in <1ms.

EDIT: When I used Internet Explorer rather than Firefox it would say "This page cannot be displayed."

have you tried updating the drive for your network card?

Btw...my sister had the same problem on a newly bought and formatted computer...it ended up that she was infected with a few backdoor trojans, but she had the exact same problem..so we did a virus scan and found that out and removed it...now it works like a charm

Btw...my sister had the same problem on a newly bought and formatted computer...it ended up that she was infected with a few backdoor trojans, but she had the exact same problem..so we did a virus scan and found that out and removed it...now it works like a charm

I have read about some trojans that try to blast your connection, first on one computer, then the others on the network. The names of the trojans I heard about were Sasser, Blast, and Welch. I downloaded individual tools from the Norton website for each and scanned the computer with all three, but they found nothing. I will definitely run another virus scan though to see if anything else is picked up. And perhaps I should do the same on the other computer because it could be possible that one's affecting this one. It's worth a shot. Thanks.

I have read about some trojans that try to blast your connection, first on one computer, then the others on the network. The names of the trojans I heard about were Sasser, Blast, and Welch. I downloaded individual tools from the Norton website for each and scanned the computer with all three, but they found nothing. I will definitely run another virus scan though to see if anything else is picked up. And perhaps I should do the same on the other computer because it could be possible that one's affecting this one. It's worth a shot. Thanks.

No problem...hope you get your connection back :smiley: