DD-WRT

Sparticus

Here's the page straight from the source:  http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Version_5_And_6_Router_Information

Looking at that, it is not easy to do, and there are problems running even the Micro on a low memory device, but it apparently can be done.  The prevailing recommendation is to get a pre-v5 G/GS or a new GL.  I got a GL just for the purpose of running DD-WRT and it's working great.

Here's the page straight from the source:  http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Version_5_And_6_Router_Information

Looking at that, it is not easy to do, and there are problems running even the Micro on a low memory device, but it apparently can be done.  The prevailing recommendation is to get a pre-v5 G/GS or a new GL.  I got a GL just for the purpose of running DD-WRT and it's working great.

Welcome to the forum jkmullins! :welcome:

Thanks for all your guys help I got it.

If I remember correctly there is a way with out the JTAG cable..  I believe it involved vrworks or something to that effect.

You can bridge them together..  It isnt really making the signal stronger.. but providing more access points for your network.  Basically what is created is a wireless mesh involving x number of WRT54Gs.  There is a custom app called WDS, Wireless Distribution Service, that allows you to create backbone connections over the wireless network.  So you have one router acting as a base station and the other router joins the network and basically repeats the signal. 

Now this is NOT the same as a standard AP or repeater!! Both of the previous devices require a wired link to enable service to the extra device.  However, WDS you dont need the wired link.  That being said there is a fairly large overhead in doing this.  It is very possible to run out of bandwidth pretty quick.

You can bridge them together..  It isnt really making the signal stronger.. but providing more access points for your network.  Basically what is created is a wireless mesh involving x number of WRT54Gs.  There is a custom app called WDS, Wireless Distribution Service, that allows you to create backbone connections over the wireless network. So you have one router acting as a base station and the other router joins the network and basically repeats the signal. 

Now this is NOT the same as a standard AP or repeater!! Both of the previous devices require a wired link to enable service to the extra device.  However, WDS you dont need the wired link. That being said there is a fairly large overhead in doing this.  It is very possible to run out of bandwidth pretty quick.

Well thats what i'm talking about.. repeating the signal. So I can get service in my backyard. If I plugged it up raw no wires excpet power could I access it from my laptop and set it up that way or does it have to be via ethernet?

Well thats what i'm talking about.. repeating the signal. So I can get service in my backyard. If I plugged it up raw no wires excpet power could I access it from my laptop and set it up that way or does it have to be via ethernet?

you can set the router up with no wires.

EDIT: if you just want to it repeat the signal i think DDWRT has a mode for that but i can't remember what it is called.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...