Sunnvyale CA area slower than 1mbps, anyone else? Any alternatives?

My speeds were great a month ago when I signed up. Now I am lucky to go past 1.5mbps.

This sucks. What is a good DSL alternative?

Comcast have been total as**oles when I call, telling me that there is no problem on their end. Excuse  me, I used comcast for years in Michigan....I know it's not on MY end. They told me it's my router. I'm not USING A ROUTER!!!! LOL!!!

Also, the cable guy was a complete idiot and stood at the computer telling me when he installed it "It not working". Yes, I know it "not working". Okay? I have a firewall. He told me to turn it off. OFF???? ARE YOU NUTS???

So I installed it from there with him watching me.

I guess free installation really does give you what you pay for.

It was fine at first and now it's just crap.

My speeds were great a month ago when I signed up. Now I am lucky to go past 1.5Mbps.

This sucks. What is a good DSL alternative?

Comcast have been total as**oles when I call, telling me that there is no problem on their end. Excuse  me, I used Comcast for years in Michigan....I know it's not on MY end. They told me it's my router. I'm not USING A ROUTER!!!! LOL!!!

Also, the cable guy was a complete idiot and stood at the computer telling me when he installed it "It not working". Yes, I know it "not working". Okay? I have a firewall. He told me to turn it off. OFF???? ARE YOU NUTS???

So I installed it from there with him watching me.

I guess free installation really does give you what you pay for.

It was fine at first and now it's just crap.

Welcome to the forum sandaili! :welcome::wave:

Please try reading the following articles.  :grin2:

"Achieve the Best Performance Out of Your Computer"

http://www.testmy.net/forum/t-4257

"Tweak Guide"

http://www.testmy.net/forum/t-1013

It's not any tweaking that I need. Like I said, it worked fine the first week it was installed. Now the speed is seemingly capped.

The computer is in the exact same shape it was in - and I even have upgraded the drivers and software for the modem, giving it the 2006 driver instead of the 2002 one the guy installed.

There is nothing more I can do. I even hooked up the Mac we have and it is brand new, and we got the same speeds. That mac also got 3mbps immediately after we hooked up with comcast, the first week.

Welcome to the forum sandaili! :welcome::wave:

Please try reading the following articles.  :grin2:

"Achieve the Best Performance Out of Your Computer"

http://www.testmy.net/forum/t-4257

"Tweak Guide"

http://www.testmy.net/forum/t-1013

I run AdAware, and Zone Alarm Security Suite. There are no trojans, or spyware on the computer, and definitely not on the mac.

I have never experienced such slow speeds while on a comcast network. The worst part is, the page loads are almost AOL slow.

The computer is set to defrag weekly, so it's also not that.

I just wish it would work.

Here is the main problem - it's not like I'm supposed to have to tweak to get the advertised 3mbps.

I was at the beginning and now I'm not. Also, the 1.5mb I am getting is almost never achieved. I am mostly getting .5 or less most of the time.

Thanks everyone, for your wecomes :)  I'm definitely not a newbie to cable internet, and this has been one of the most frustrating weeks of my life (relating to customer support problems LOL)...

In Michigan all I had to do if I had a problem was call. Even when the picture was "humming" on my basic cable, they had a guy come out. Here, I called Comcast and they basically told me there is no problem and to have money ready when the technician came out.

And that reminds me, anyone who is going to sign up for Comcast, watch out for the installer I got. I have two cats and he kept leaving the door wide open. First off, it's cold here even though it's Cali....I told him I have cats and to shut the door. I was in the other room and he said "I'll be right back" and I looked, he left the door WIDE OPEN. I shut it, and when he came back I stood there and he looked at me, and left the door open. I shut it.

He went in the other room again, and I told him again, I have cats so the door has to be shut. He said okay. For some reason, he went outside AGAIN and I followed him. He looked at me before he left, and shut the door, leaving it open about 2 inches. I closed it.

He came back in and since I was still standing there, he shut it.

Again he left the house later without shutting the door, leaving it open, all the way, again. This happened several times. I do not know why he had to keep going in and out but I had leaves and gunk left all over.

I just...am not impressed with Comcast at all, lately. But I am very wary of using DSL here because our phone lines are ancient. The building I am in is wired horribly - there are sun baked phone lines outside, that have been here since the 60's. There isn't even a phone jack in the bedroom, only in the kitchen. So, I'm pretty much screwed.

Here's to living in California!! LOL!!!

Here is the main problem - it's not like I'm supposed to have to tweak to get the advertised 3Mbps.

I was at the beginning and now I'm not. Also, the 1.5mb I am getting is almost never achieved. I am mostly getting .5 or less most of the time.

Thanks everyone, for your wecomes :)  I'm definitely not a newbie to cable internet, and this has been one of the most frustrating weeks of my life (relating to customer support problems LOL)...

In Michigan all I had to do if I had a problem was call. Even when the picture was "humming" on my basic cable, they had a guy come out. Here, I called Comcast and they basically told me there is no problem and to have money ready when the technician came out.

And that reminds me, anyone who is going to sign up for Comcast, watch out for the installer I got. I have two cats and he kept leaving the door wide open. First off, it's cold here even though it's Cali....I told him I have cats and to shut the door. I was in the other room and he said "I'll be right back" and I looked, he left the door WIDE OPEN. I shut it, and when he came back I stood there and he looked at me, and left the door open. I shut it.

He went in the other room again, and I told him again, I have cats so the door has to be shut. He said okay. For some reason, he went outside AGAIN and I followed him. He looked at me before he left, and shut the door, leaving it open about 2 inches. I closed it.

He came back in and since I was still standing there, he shut it.

Again he left the house later without shutting the door, leaving it open, all the way, again. This happened several times. I do not know why he had to keep going in and out but I had leaves and gunk left all over.

I just...am not impressed with Comcast at all, lately. But I am very wary of using DSL here because our phone lines are ancient. The building I am in is wired horribly - there are sun baked phone lines outside, that have been here since the 60's. There isn't even a phone jack in the bedroom, only in the kitchen. So, I'm pretty much screwed.

Here's to living in California!! LOL!!!

If you got DSL they would wire your house up for ya.