ETHERNET

blue2

I want to connect my windows xp  pc to an 8 meg broadband modem using ethernet.I'm currently using a usb modem..

Device manager has an entry for ethernet,coloured yellow and says that the unit has a problem.

QUESTIONS

Silly one,how do i iidentify the ethernet card ?

Does "having a problem" just mean that no modem is attached.

If no card is present,will ANY ethernet pci card do or must it be selected for speed or type?

Is ther anything else that needs doing ?

Any advice will be much appreciated

If the device is flagged as error then it will not function.  Does the error state that the device drivers are not installed or is the physical card shorted?  If it is a driver error you can try running windows update from IE and looking in the optional category.  Some of the time it will list newer drivers, if they have been approved by MS.  Otherwise look on the manufacturer's website for the drivers.

As per advice, located old mobo  cd and used it to instal the ethernet driver(windows says that you dont need one).Yellow "ethernet" in Device manager turned pale and "controller" appeared,also "connection" icon (saying,cable disconnected) appeared in the taskbar.Dug out modem/router driving instructions from another site and away we went.It may be my imagination but everything seems faster,using ethernet instead of usb.

thanks for all the help.

regards

As per advice, located old mobo  cd and used it to instal the ethernet driver(windows says that you dont need one).Yellow "ethernet" in Device manager turned pale and "controller" appeared,also "connection" icon (saying,cable disconnected) appeared in the taskbar.Dug out modem/router driving instructions from another site and away we went.It may be my imagination but everything seems faster,using ethernet instead of usb.

thanks for all the help.

regards

I don't think its your imagination, @ one point , when I had no choice, I also used USB for the connection,, :tongue2: