USB question

Le_Murphant

I got a custom rig delivered for christmas, installed vista on it, everything was fine until I discovered that my usb ports were all usb 1.1  :angry: So i would like to change that to 2.0, but idk if you can just buy that, or if you have to change the whole motherboard. Is it possible that it is just a driver issue that does not recognise them as usb 2? I am quite surprised that my circa 100$ motherboard would come with usb1.1 whistle my 5 year old comp has usb2. Is there any way to check the transfer speed explicitly? thx.

I believe you need to go into bios, and make sure you have "highspeed" selected for usb devices, and not "fullspeed". (this could be the opposite way around, seeing that it is late and all, but it should tell you the speed of each setting..one is way higher than the other)

I can't remember where exactly in bios it is, if I reboot later, and check where it is in mine.(I have an asus board as well, just not the same one)

Also, have you installed the chipset drivers for your motherboard?

I think the usb drivers are all incorporated into the O/S...

Ok, voltageman I tried changing the BIOS and that indeed was the problem. The default is usb 2.0 disabled  :idiot2: So i enabled it as you said but my drivers still havent updated and if I try to update them by doing the search the net option, they find them to be up to date. There is still no mention of "advanced" or whatever in the name of the devices. Any ideas? I have seen that the "this device could be operating faster" message doesn't pop anymore, is there any way to check the transfer speed?

Ok, voltageman I tried changing the BIOS and that indeed was the problem. The default is usb 2.0 disabled  :idiot2: So i enabled it as you said but my drivers still havent updated and if I try to update them by doing the search the net option, they find them to be up to date. There is still no mention of "advanced" or whatever in the name of the devices. Any ideas? I have seen that the "this device could be operating faster" message doesn't pop anymore, is there any way to check the transfer speed?

Sometimes you need to uninstall all the USB devices in control panel that have been used so it can be found under the new bios and re-inserted with the new drivers..  :idea: