Degraded

Guest aerodude

Guest aerodude

Last two days i have been getting this a whole lot.

i restart my modem and unplug it for 30 min and sometimes it will go away.

anyone know wat it means?

Last two days i have been getting this a whole lot.

i restart my modem and unplug it for 30 min and sometimes it will go away.

anyone know wat it means?

There is a possibility that your power supply is dropping off. There have been problems that could never be figured out but went away after a PS change. Modem could be next, I have a DW7000 and I'm on my 3rd in just about 1 year.

3rd in a year? And did you have to pay for all 3? I am still on my first modem, in 16 months.

Nope, the first only made one boot and never got registered, the second died early Sept and under warranty, now my time will expire, I guess it's 15 months, so I say May.

Mid - Feb 07 will make a year on my 7000....they did swap me one in Jan 06, but did not fix my upload issue until the transponder was changed. Not easy to get that to happen. Keep in mind during the 15month contract......all is under warranty.  :-|

I was getting degraded (yellow) on Sunday 1-14-07......figured it was weather related. NOC had heavy rain, so did my site location.

I was getting degraded (yellow) on Sunday 1-14-07......figured it was weather related. NOC had heavy rain, so did my site location.

I have really never seen a yellow (system status button, correct?) during weather, it has only been out for less than a minute so I never checked. I couldn't see the street so I just knew. :shock:

but did not fix my upload issue until the transponder was changed.

That sounds like a polarization/transponder mismatch......

Degraded usually means 2 things.  Either Web Acceleration is down, or TCP acceleration is down.  This can be caused by almost anything.  Water in the feedhorn, cable connector corrosion, bad PS, bad xmitter.  The best thing to do is check everything on your setup before calling.  If you notice water in the feedhorn, call support and have them replace it.  They might tell you to cut a slit or poke a hole in it(which is what I did), but insist that they replace it.

In your case, it sound like it could be a transmitter grounding issue.  The clue is that when you restart the modem, it clears up.  If the transmitter is not grounded properly, it will have static buildup and screw with your system.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/2626

Check the top right graphic.... 

The transponder issue was almost a year ago....when  I had upgraded to the 7000, back then downloads were good uploads were always below 100. After the transponder change good to go.

The system degrade yellow.....I see very rarely. But yes the first install ( Jan 05) was a mess, since relocated to a pole site, grounded, also wired with RG-11.....sitting on a 1/2yd of concrete 3ft deep.

Very little complaints for me since Feb. 06

In my experience with this system.....(with a good install) chances are likely most issues are found on Hughes side of the fence.

Guest aerodude

when i get degraded my stats go to

TCP Acceleration Status; and i cant remember this

Web Acceleration Status; inactive

but my signal strength is good.

i had a guy replace the long thing (idk the parts on it sorry)

he said i can just leave the big grey thing off.

it has been raing a lot and in the 19 - 30 degree range.

wonder if the poor thing is cold  :haha:

Guest aerodude

haha right after my last post it did it again

i got this

Suspected Recent Satellite Link Outage (Error 506)

The satellite link was operating properly up until the most recent web page request, but the last request could not be successfully sent across the satellite link to the DIRECWAY Network Operations Center. Possible causes for this include recent changes in weather conditions or equipment problems in the DIRECWAY Network Operations Center. Retrying the web page may correct the problem.

then i checked sytem status it said "degraded"

TCP Acceleration Status;  Operational

Web Acceleration Status; not operational yellow flag

System status went back to okay

and i have this

TCP Acceleration Status;  Operational

trying to load the thread i get...

Service Unavailable

Service Unavailable

im typing this on notepad.

this is pissing me off.

im fixing to hook dial up up.

okay i restarted the terminal from the control panel.

i get

TCP Acceleration Status;  IMpaired

system status okay

loading a page still gets

service unavailble

haha yay it finally loaded.

Guest aerodude

yeahh it did it again

:cry:

dial up now

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Download Connection is:: 7 Kbps about 0 Mbps (tested with 97 kB)

Download Speed is:: 1 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Server 1)

Test Time:: 2007/01/17 - 1:47pm

Bottom Line:: 0X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 1024 sec

Tested from a 97 kB file and took 115.735 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: May need help : running at only 0.91 % of your hosts average (Level3.net)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-TMLDECK7U

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.1) Gecko/20061204 Firefox/2.0.0.1 [!]

hah yayyy..

:oops:

I thought I've read somewhere that there have been some problems with some of the sats lately, so it might not be a problem on your end at all. To be sure, I always wait a couple weeks for my problems to clear up (that's normally how long it takes for HugesNet) and if they don't then fix it.

Guaranteed laughter ..call even it ain't broke, give them a moment to look up "system status" first, then after you explain degraded to them....be prepared for them to tell you your modem lights should be blinking blue!  :2funny:

So by the time you might speak to somebody that could possibly answer you question a few days from now...the issue will be resolved at NOC or maybe at this point Hughes will replace the faulty equipment.

No need to get mad at them......just laugh at it, cause it really is a joke on us.  :haha: 

If your mission to search for intelligent life fails....Hughes hides the brains very well in "deep support",  always file a claim with the BBB.

Guaranteed laughter ..call even it ain't broke, give them a moment to look up "system status" first, then after you explain degraded to them....be prepared for them to tell you your modem lights should be blinking blue!  :2funny:

So by the time you might speak to somebody that could possibly answer you question a few days from now...the issue will be resolved at NOC or maybe at this point Hughes will replace the faulty equipment.

No need to get mad at them......just laugh at it, cause it really is a joke on us. :haha:

If your mission to search for intelligent life fails....Hughes hides the brains very well in "deep support", always file a claim with the BBB.

Funny post fikester  :lol: It had style.  :wink2:

I know Hughesnet is growing and I'll bet there are a fair amount of subscribers that are quite as "tech savvy" as some of us. I feel lucky that I've had my rig for about 2 years now and I could not imagine if my mother or someone else in the family that has DSL or cable had to use a sat system. They would go nuts. Just an observation and combined rant I guess. But I do feel for the folks that don't understand all the quirks of the sat systems.

I know Hughesnet is growing and I'll bet there are a fair amount of subscribers that are quite as "tech savvy" as some of us. I feel lucky that I've had my rig for about 2 years now and I could not imagine if my mother or someone else in the family that has DSL or cable had to use a sat system. They would go nuts. Just an observation and combined rant I guess. But I do feel for the folks that don't understand all the quirks of the sat systems.

:2funny: Very true. Welcome to the forum The WizARD  :wave::welcome: Glad to have you aboard.

Yes I have a brother that is considering sat service as he lives too where there is no other choice....anyways he is already confused with installation details. He thinks the pole mount will be free in his situation, also does not understand a router or switch is needed to hook up his daughters PC. Regardless of which provider he chooses it will be front row tickets for me! Its like talking to a stump.

I feel sorry for the installer....he is in for a big treat.  :laughing7: