Lattitude laptop a bit buggy,or normal? please help

to make it short.

recently i sold a dell lattitude cpi notebook localy and fully explained it needed a new battery and power supply.

upon sale i verified the laptop did work with a battery and power supply from another similiar newer lattitude laptop i have and keep.

sold for $40 pentium 2 with 128mb ram.   

i mean $40 is pathetic but used is as is.

well the buyers all buthurt the laptop does not boot up unless it has a battery that can at least pass voltage.    the orignal battery wont-?   never knew why but it would always load up with a donor battery and p.s.     and ran fine!!!!   absoutly no errors!!!!!!

the buyer has been advised by sum other "used pc dealers" that the mother board is fried on the unit. and the laptop should boot on just a ac power supply, when they tried to power it up with god knows what p.s.   I have been advised by profassionals that many laptops do not have a system that allows it to run simply off the ac power supply.  it requires there be a battery even if it cant hold a charge it should pass it.   he also advised that the reason the "green light" didnt come on the power supply can be because the laptop i guess has a "circuit breaker of sorts" that if the voltage is not exactly what it needs it wont accept the signal thus no light is displayed, he also said the old battery can be corrupt and this is why it works with a different 1 but if the m.b. was fried the laptop wouldent work period.

I thought i would ask the real profassionals before i come to any conclusions of weather the buyer really deserves there money back.   despite as is, scenerio.  Im a nice guy.

thanks so much-

dave

Well... I am about 99% sure that laptops can boot on power supply only... I know my dell 8600, 6000 and HP 4400 can all boot without having a battery installed at all.  I looked up the CPI series and it looks like it is capable of booting on ac power only without the battery installed.  The dell help forum isnt mentioning anything about having to have a battery installed for the laptop to boot.  I would request the buyer to either ship it back for a refund or to just bite the $40..

I am with swimmer. If you just want to give him his money back that is up to you. But if I sold you anything and you said no way, well tough beans.

It would truly be a judgement call for you. If you feel there is no error on your part, too bad. If you feel you should cover it anyway, then you my friend should  stop selling what will end up costing you in the first place. You had to ship it out. Only sell merchandise like that if you do it locally. That way they see it first hand it worked, and you are not out any shipping.

Just my staying in business thoughts.  :wink:

Well... I am about 99% sure that laptops can boot on power supply only... I know my dell 8600, 6000 and HP 4400 can all boot without having a battery installed at all.  I looked up the CPI series and it looks like it is capable of booting on ac power only without the battery installed.  The dell help forum isnt mentioning anything about having to have a battery installed for the laptop to boot.  I would request the buyer to either ship it back for a refund or to just bite the $40..

you should be a 100% sure. ive never seen a laptop that required a battery to be in to boot. ive never even heard of one doing it.

turns out my working p.s. for the newer lattitude is not the absouloute correct but will work for the old 1.  the old battery for the cpi isisnt the right battery for it lol, and thats why my newer lattitude p.s. only works when the corresponding battery is in.  Or so i wa stold by a laptop tech freak at pc club here in town www.pcclub.com

but the laptop will  boot up with  the right power supply for it, problem is the buyer got a wallmart 1 a universial adapter that probably has a dial adjustable voltage setting  :haha:

If they ask for there money back ill give it but even dealing with them has become inprudent.

i said it needed new parts.

i have in fact they found there $60 ps

i found a "new" bat and ps for $86

called and offered to order it for them if they can reinburse.

woulda came in a few days.

thats when dealing with them became inprudent.

I really dont think they want to give it back, i mean i powered it up, ran winamp and played sum music for em they know it works.

i sold it localy on www.craigslist.com <-fast local sale btw sell your stuff here ppl!

and im just waiting for there call.

she finaly had sum 1 tell her that she does need a bettery for this unit.

it was designed to prevent data loss if the ac adapted pluged in by it self were to fall out or w/e   

so she said she bought a batt and ,, i quote "power cord" on ebay for hopefully a dell lattitude cpi 7600 i belive it was.  all for less than $50

hence the power cord was only like $17

i think im changing my number today  :undecided:

and thank you all for your help.