Xbox Live Connection Speed???

Mcdougle

Hey, I live in Louisiana, which probably has the worst internet ever... I've been on 19.2 kps dial-up for years. Lately Bellsouth has just merged w/ AT&T, and are providing DSL in our area. They offer up to 6 Mbs, but I will probably purchase the 3 Mbs b/c people in my community have it, and I live in the exact center of nowhere. From what I've seen, their DSL runs great, downloadig quicker than ever. I don't have access to cable, so I will be forced to go w/ DSL. My main concern is Xbox Live. I'm an avid gamer, and only get to play live, when I visit friends in college. Will my 3Mbs, be able to run Live, or should I upgrade to 6.0 Mbs? On bellsouth's site it says, 3.O Xtreme highspeed, great for online gaming...But in he past they have been unreliable. I would do the satelite DSL, but w/ frequent outtages, gaming would be out of the question, not to mention that stuff is way too overpriced. What is the slowest, yet most effective connection speed to be used w/ live?  -Mcdougle

Mcdougle welcome to the forum.

that will have no problem playing xbox live. You can play just fine with any of the connections that bellsouth has. But of course the 6.0 is going to be the best, so if you can afford it/and get it go with the 6.0. It makes a huge difference when you start downloading large files like game demos and movies on xbox live.

:smile2: Yea, I new that it would definetly help. It's only 5 bucks more a month, maybe I can squeeze that in. Now I can own my college buds, from far away.  I can't wait to halo hump this noob at my school who keeps talking smack over live....Thanx! :knuppel2:

Lol...But actually people play Xbox Live on ISDN all the time which is only 128k/128k. But for 5 bucks a month and twice the speed I would definently go for the 6 lol.

Lol...But actually people play Xbox Live on ISDN all the time which is only 128k/128k. But for 5 bucks a month and twice the speed I would definently go for the 6 lol.

they can do that because a ISDN has almost no latency. bandwidth is not the key to good online gaming its low latency.

they can do that because a ISDN has almost no latency. bandwidth is not the key to good online gaming its low latency.

Very true. But DSL should give him the low latency he needs. Dial-up would be usable on Xbox Live if it wasn't for the bandwidth getting over saturated. I used to play on my Wildblue satellite connection(even though everybody said it was impossible) and it worked great(until they put out an update that made all the pings in the 1000s). Although lower latency would have worked better it was still playable. Xbox Live to me seems a lot more forgiving to high latency than most PC games.

Very true. But DSL should give him the low latency he needs. Dial-up would be usable on Xbox Live if it wasn't for the bandwidth getting over saturated. I used to play on my Wildblue satellite connection(even though everybody said it was impossible) and it worked great(until they put out an update that made all the pings in the 1000s). Although lower latency would have worked better it was still playable. Xbox Live to me seems a lot more forgiving to high latency than most PC games.

he should have 30-60 ping times all over the US

I've played xbox live on dial up, the latency is the only issue, around 200+ ms.

I have played it on dial-up as well and my only issue was the occasional over saturation of bandwidth. Otherwise it played great. Considering the fact that I was coming from High 500 to Low 600 pings the latency did not bother me at all.

i don't see how you could ever win in anygame with a 200ms ping

I won games all the time on my 550+ latency. I am telling you the coding on some of the Xbox Live games are outstanding. I can still play Call of Duty 3 and come in first with latency like this.(Granted it is the only game I can still play) Not as enjoyable as it was with the lower latency, but it is still playable. I have even came in first multiple times. 24 player matches.

Pinging yahoo.com [216.109.112.135] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 216.109.112.135: bytes=32 time=2298ms TTL=46

Reply from 216.109.112.135: bytes=32 time=1758ms TTL=46

Reply from 216.109.112.135: bytes=32 time=2516ms TTL=46

Reply from 216.109.112.135: bytes=32 time=1686ms TTL=46

Reply from 216.109.112.135: bytes=32 time=1162ms TTL=46

Reply from 216.109.112.135: bytes=32 time=1160ms TTL=46

Reply from 216.109.112.135: bytes=32 time=1373ms TTL=46

Reply from 216.109.112.135: bytes=32 time=1199ms TTL=46

Reply from 216.109.112.135: bytes=32 time=1202ms TTL=46

Reply from 216.109.112.135: bytes=32 time=1131ms TTL=46

Ping statistics for 216.109.112.135:

Packets: Sent = 10, Received = 10, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 1131ms, Maximum = 2516ms, Average = 1548ms

I didn't know ANY game had a netcode that good.  Seriously, it can handle 1000+ ping?  That's amazing!  In Halo PC if you have just 200 ping you have to lead your shots 5 miles.    :haha:

I must say I was shocked myself. Although you will notice the lag, it is still playable. This game has the best network code I have ever seen. It uses some P2P style hosting system. It also uses Client Side Hit Detection.

Well I now have a gamertag, I haven't got DSL yet, but my friend let me use his connnection so I have a month free. My gamertag is- Jdub Mcdougle.

But it will probably change to Anorexic Leader, when I get DSL. But DSL is now the least of my problems....

Here's how it all started...

I'm playing Call of Duty 3. I'm in the last part of the game, and I just had to row the boat across the river and take out the MG42's. Well I did that, and then I get outside the house. Well it's late, and my parent's just got home from work, they were both stuck in meetings. I put the game on pause and I go downstairs to see how they are. I return 5 mins later only to hear the disc spinning at an ungodly speed. I had only been playing like 40 mins. So the 360 wasn't hot, and I have an Air cooler for it. I freak out, and take the disc out. Now when I put any disc in my 360, it makes a strange noise, and won't play. It says "Unplayable Disc" on the Xbox main screen. It does that w/ every disc. CDs, DVDs, games. Nothing works. Well luckily for me, it's only 2 months old. So I called The tech support line, and had to listen to a nice computer named "Max" and all his catch phrases, until I had the option to talk to some guy who had no idea what was wrong with my 360. To make a long, boring phone conversation short, They're sending me a prepaid box, and I'll get my 360 back in maybe 2 weeks. This Blows! At least I got to play one online match of Halo 2 before it broke. Luckily everthing else works fine, and I'm glad I downloaded a few demos...  :cry:

• 2 weeks later...