Router going bad, or something else?

notmybest2day

Alright, well up until about three months ago, I was pulling 6.4mbit down on a 6/384 line.  Not bad at all, I was fine with that.  Then cable went out for about an hour and when it came back on, I couldn't get more than 2.7.  Reset the router and modem, no change.

I booted Linux up on the laptop and ran the test and got 6.5.

<blockquote>:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Download Connection is:: 6499 Kbps about 6.5 Mbps (tested with 12160 kB)

Download Speed is:: 793 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Server 1)

Test Time:: 2007/01/20 - 4:06pm

Bottom Line:: 113X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 1.29 sec

Tested from a 12160 kB file and took 15.328 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: Looks Great : 16.93 % faster than the average for host (comcast.net)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-TLA7SQ5FH

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.0.4) Gecko/20060527 SUSE/1.5.0.4-1.9 Firefox/1.5.0.4

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Download Connection is:: 2645 Kbps about 2.6 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)

Download Speed is:: 323 kB/s

Test Time:: 2007/01/20 - 4:27pm

Bottom Line:: 46X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 3.17 sec

Tested from a 2992 kB file and took 9.266 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: May need help : running at only 47.59 % of your hosts average (comcast.net)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-P26XB90Y1

User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727)</blockquote>For some reason, Windows just won't seem to do more than 2.7down through the Internet, but Linux will go to max.

Here's where it makes me think it's the router.  Through the troubleshooting whilst on the phone with Comcast, we hooked the modem directly up to the laptop booted into Windows (since they were going to make me install the BS software, and Linux isn't supported on their system), and I had to DL the 27mb file and it came in at almost 900k/sec, which is ~7.4mbit.

A friend of mine suggested it's a bad NIC or the drivers I'm using, but that makes absolutely no sense, and it is very much unlikely considering I have Intel PRO/100, Linksys LNE100TXv5 (2 of them), Broadcom BCM5754 Gbit (dual), 3Com, and a D-link mixed in somewhere.  I would find it very unlikely that they all start having the same issue simultaneously, but are fine under Linux.

Speeds on the LAN seem to be running normal (Windows-to-Windows pulls about 90mbit, Linux-to-Windows goes about 35, other way around is about 50, and Linux-to-Linux is about 85.

I have a Linksys BEFSR41v3 (last one before they got rid of 3 LEDs per port) that is coming up on about four years of 24/7 use.  I thought it was just getting tired a few months ago, but it seemed to have straightened out since then, until this weird problem of Windows only going half-speed on the Internet.

One of my next paychecks, I'm getting a Cisco 2621 router to use instead.  Since I just finished the CCNA program, I think it'll be quite fun to have and use one at home.  I'm mostly getting it because of the 100mbit ports on it since the BEFSR41v3 only has a 10mbit WAN port.  The v4 is when they implemented 10/100, but they also dropped down to 1 LED per port.

Sorry if this is kind of rambling, but at least it's full of valid information and I think it's easy enough to read.

I got the latest one a month after it came out.

1.42.02, Aug 03 2004.

When I do plug the modem into the computer, it gets in the 7's somewhere under Windows.  Linux gets the same speed directly or through the router--6.5.  I figured if the router really was going bad, everything would be limited to the 2.7 I get with Windows, not just one or the other.

I'm quite vexed.

I have six or seven dual-boot boxes.  I have Ghost 8 and I made that image on a fresh install without contacting the Internet before making the image.  They're all clean, and I don't use software protection--hardware all the way.  Router is a firewall, and I don't go to sketchy sites, so I'm clean.  I have been challenged on this claim once before and I installed software to scan, and it found was my cookies for the five trusted sites I go to.  Tried several different ones to make sure and all came back clean.

It's not just one computer, it's all of them: Windows = 2.7mbit, Linux = 6.4.

Did that once before.  Didn't even give me 50kbit more.  I've got a lot of registry tweaks though, and it's not a program that does it, I just know all the keys and values off the top of my head to go add or modify.

Just in case it was something with my Ghost image, I sat through the two hours of a full installation with the 70-something offline installers for all the hotfixes and security updates and then gave it a try, and same result.  It's so weird.

It doesn't really matter anyway.  I'll just get the Cisco router in a few weeks and be done with this trusty ol'e Linksys.

Well I had a few short service outages over the weekend, and it appears they installed PowerBoost to my area during that time.  This is what I get under Linux now with only 10mbit WAN port on the router:<blockquote>:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Download Connection is:: 8470 Kbps about 8.5 Mbps (tested with 12160 kB)

Download Speed is:: 1034 kB/s

Test Time:: 2007/01/22 - 10:58pm

Bottom Line:: 148X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 0.99 sec

Tested from a 12160 kB file and took 11.76 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 52.23 % faster than the average for host (comcast.net)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-ARPC01MUD

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.0.4) Gecko/20060527 SUSE/1.5.0.4-1.9 Firefox/1.5.0.4</blockquote>Windows still gets 2.7mbit.

I'm completely confused on the Windows issue.  As I said, on a fresh install that's never contacted the Internet until trying the test, it does the same thing.  I figured if it truly was the router, I wouldn't get more than the 2.7 going to the Internet period, regardless of the OS.

And actually, that test I just ran in Linux, that was with a 20k/sec DL going on one of the other computers, so it's actually 20k/sec more than the test shows.

I used to get 6.4 on Windows, on all the computers here up until a few months ago.  That's what's so strange.

• 1 month later...

Well I finally got around to hooking the modem directly up to my laptop since that's the only system I don't really care about if a malicious attack and loads of spyware comes in in the 15 minutes I had it booted up.  The results are somewhat surprising, yet expected at the same time.

Windows:

share-1CT9KF3J7

Linux:

share-FDVL7ROH8

So yes, Windows did speed up a little bit, but that's still nowhere near the 6.4 I got a few months ago.  That must mean one of the hotfixes/critical updates hosed everything up, and I really don't feel like figuring out which one did it.  I'll just use Linux for all my big downloads anyway.  Even with a 10mbit WAN port on the router, I still get the speed in my sig.