Direcway - Hughesnet - Earthlink - whatever... help!

unitychild

Well over a year ago we got satellite internet from Earthlink through Direcway, which I guess is Hughesnet now... I am about at my wits end... it is just awful service and has been the whole time we have had it!  :angry: We have been on tech support so many times that WE tell them what we should do to fix the stuff before they can get it out of their mouth... unfortunately none of the fixes work for long at all... I think there is a switch with a couple of buttons that say GOOD SERVICE and BAD SERVICE and when you get on tech support with them they click the GOOD SERVICE button so that you THINK they have fixed the problem when really they haven't at all. I am so tired of SLOW speeds and being FAP'd. This is my current speed:

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Download Connection is:: 9 Kbps about 0 Mbps (tested with 97 kB)

Download Speed is:: 1 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Server 1)

Test Time:: 2007/01/20 - 6:15pm

Bottom Line:: 0X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 1024 sec

Tested from a 97 kB file and took 89.468 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: May need help : running at only 0.85 % of your hosts average (direcpc.com)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-7VQZSK2PL

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.9) Gecko/20061206 Firefox/1.5.0.9 [!]

UM, hello... my DIALUP was better than that and it was awful!  :cry2: My husband has been on the phone with them for over 2 hours and has gotten transferred between departments about a dozen times...

Is there ANYTHING we can do to make this better??? Is there any other option available to us??? We live in the sticks and are 400 feet out too far for DSL, and we can't get cable. Is there a wireless internet option that you can use with a home computer? I already have t-mobile for my laptop, but that is not available for a desktop. HELP!! By the way, here is the test I did through the Hughesnet tester:

Speed: 9 (down) / 30 (up) kbps

I don't know what to do anymore, but I am just so tired of paying $70 a month for crappy service and a 169 MB FAP!!!!

Steph

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dlewis23: Yes, I have tweaked and tweaked and anything I do only works for a few hours at best. Also, we have 3 computers that can access the internet in our house and all of them are getting these speeds. Done spyware and virus scans.

aakash: no.. like wifi... not wireless networking.

They just transferred him again...

OK..unitychild  ....talk to us.....what system are you using...what operating system...which sat....come on cough up some specs so we can try to help ya...

DW6000 Info

Site

Serial Number:

Software Date:Dec 2 2005, 14:58:46

Software Release:4.3.3.5

IP Address:192.168.0.1

Subnet Mask:255.255.255.0

NAT IP Address:67.45.82.44

NAT Subnet Mask:255.255.255.255

Satellite

Transmit Path:

Satellite

Outroute:

Primary

Longitude:

127 West

Receive Frequency:

1410 MHz

Receive Symbol Rate:

30 Msps

Receive Polarization:

Horizontal

Transmit Polarization:

Horizontal

22KHz Tone:

Off

Router Address:

Software Configuration

NAT:

Enabled

DHCP:

Enabled

Firewall:

Disabled (from NOC)

Turbo Page:

Enabled

OK, I don't know if you need that info or not, but there it is... what else do you need?

I am running a Gateway MX7515 laptop with a Mobile AMD Athlon 64 Processor 4000+ 2.59 GHz, and 1 gig of ram. I am running Windows XP Home Service Pack 2.

Let me know what else you need to know.

Thanks,

Steph

TRANSMISSION INFO

Transmit Status

Transmitter ready. (TxCode 8)

Number of Successful Transmissions

Number of Failed Transmissions

Number of Packets Submitted for Transmission

Connectivity Test

Connectivity Test to Management Server Successful

Connectivity Test to the NOC Router Failed

Is this what you need? I have yahoo, but I can't guarantee it will connect!:( It is unitychild77.

Thanks,

Steph

TRANSMISSION INFO

Transmit Status

Transmitter ready. (TxCode 8)

Number of Successful Transmissions

Number of Failed Transmissions

Number of Packets Submitted for Transmission

Connectivity Test

Connectivity Test to Management Server Successful

Connectivity Test to the NOC Router Failed

Is this what you need? I have yahoo, but I can't guarantee it will connect!:( It is unitychild77.

Thanks,

Steph

i'm not a expert in satellite internet, but that looks bad

Ok, there is definately something wrong here, and it could be a number of things.  Let's start with the basics.  What is your signal strength, and has it dropped in the past few weeks.  Have you looked at your dish lately?  Is there any water in the feedhorn?(little plastic window on the transmitter)

Do you restart the modem daily?

I wonder if your system is grounded properly?

Are you on the Home speed package plan? 500/50.

When did you D/L  something large last?

Have you looked in your account to see if the account says you are FAPed?

Have you cleaned out your temporary cookies lately?

:grin2:

I thought I had said in my original message that I AM Fap'd. But even Fap'd, my speed should be at least dial up speed, shouldn't it? I do not restart my modem daily... should I? It is grounded. We are on whatever package that Earthlink offers, I believe it is the home... I don't download large files at home, I go to a hotspot and use t-mobile on my internet. They are showing us downloading a 200+MB file today when we were not even home! We don't have close neighbors so nobody could be leeching...

I haven't cleaned out temp cookies... will that help??

Steph

I thought I had said in my original message that I AM Fap'd. But even Fap'd, my speed should be at least dial up speed, shouldn't it? I do not restart my modem daily... should I? It is grounded. We are on whatever package that Earthlink offers, I believe it is the home... I don't download large files at home, I go to a hotspot and use t-mobile on my internet. They are showing us downloading a 200+MB file today when we were not even home! We don't have close neighbors so nobody could be leeching...

Steph

Yes temp cookies do slow it down. A clean well maintained machine will run faster. Restart yes.

My daily routine. I always shut mine off so a restart only consists of touching the cable for 10 seconds before plugging it in. I then get all my updates for AV and anti spy. Then I restart it. Then I do disk cleanup and defrag. the hard drive.  Then I go to it. It runs much smoother that way for me. So try that maybe.  :grin2:

And I would definatley ask why you are fapped if you don't even use it at times.  :tickedoff: That would really make me mad. And I do not think neighbors could leech from a satelite set up.

Ok, I will try that. I think it is a shame that you have to go through all of that in order for this service to work properly... my husband is still on the phone with tech support... but they won't do anything about the speed, so we will probably call Hughes directly tomorrow and there will be a report made to the BBB about the service. This is just ridiculous!! We also asked how we could be downloading stuff when our computers are not even on... they show us DLing stuff in the middle of the day when there is nobody even home, and we have taken our laptops with us!!! Anyway, thanks! I am gonna go to sleep... ugh! lol

Welcome to the forum unitychild

Ok, I will try that. I think it is a shame that you have to go through all of that in order for this service to work properly... my husband is still on the phone with tech support... but they won't do anything about the speed, so we will probably call Hughes directly tomorrow and there will be a report made to the BBB about the service. This is just ridiculous!! We also asked how we could be downloading stuff when our computers are not even on... they show us DLing stuff in the middle of the day when there is nobody even home, and we have taken our laptops with us!!! Anyway, thanks! I am gonna go to sleep... ugh! lol

1) You mentioned 3 computers use this system, how do they connect to the modem and is there wireless networking?

2) Have all 3 been cleaned for spyware and viruses and all temp cleaned, also defragged?

3)Your husband uses one, you use one, who uses the third?

4) Have you tried unplugging everything (Network cable only) from the modem for 24 hours? Nobody can tap into your system unless their plugged into the modem and should clear your FAP and be sure you keep the modem on.

Respond to the first 3  :txt-asap: and then try the 4th unless you have dial-up or other internet access while your system is isolated. This is a process of elimination so we need to do a few things at a time in an orderly fashion to find the true problem.

We'll be waiting.  :coffee:

Steph

If you are on the home plan....you are very likely dealing with FAP. You may be able to surf to a few web pages after 3-5 mins or so, but your bucket (169MB) will take 8-10hrs to fill back up, thats if nobody uses the connection. If you continue to use up the bucket as it fills up, this could go on continuously. As Gorman  already mentioned unplug any routers,and PC's from the Hughes modem for 8-10hrs then see what you got. If somebody has a PC hooked up continuously downloading music, videos, files....169MB may not be enough bucket....( 70 for a home plan, this should get you  pro plan with a 350MB bucket)  :icon_scratch: