Direcway - Hughesnet - Earthlink - whatever... help!

unitychild

) You mentioned 3 computers use this system, how do they connect to the modem and is there wireless networking?

We all connect through a wireless router.

2) Have all 3 been cleaned for spyware and viruses and all temp cleaned, also defragged?

The laptops have been, but not the desktop.

3)Your husband uses one, you use one, who uses the third?

It is my kids' computer.

4) Have you tried unplugging everything (Network cable only) from the modem for 24 hours? Nobody can tap into your system unless their plugged into the modem and should clear your FAP and be sure you keep the modem on.

No, I can't shut off the internet for 24 hours... I go to school on the internet.,,, I can probably do 8-12 hours though...

( 70 for a home plan, this should get you  pro plan with a 350MB bucket)

I know, we go through Earthlink and they CLAIM this is the only plan they offer. We know that Hughes offers a Pro and a Pro Plus Plan. We would love to get on the Plus plan if it will help our situation. Is it possible to switch directly to Hughes and would we need to upgrade to the DW7000 and if so, how much is that?

Steph

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We all connect through a wireless router.

No, I can't shut off the internet for 24 hours... I go to school on the internet.,,, I can probably do 8-12 hours though...

( 70 for a home plan, this should get you  pro plan with a 350MB bucket)

I know, we go through Earthlink and they CLAIM this is the only plan they offer. We know that Hughes offers a Pro and a Pro Plus Plan. We would love to get on the Plus plan if it will help our situation. Is it possible to switch directly to Hughes and would we need to upgrade to the DW7000 and if so, how much is that?

Steph

Do you know if you've been FAP'ed from near the beginning. Many get sat internet and with the new speed FAP themselves without even knowing by downloading music videos and large files.

If you have used the HughesNet site for speed testing you had to use a site ID. Try the upgrade section and use this ID and see what results you get.

If you can't upgrade through the web site then buying a DW7000 modem is an option. You can probably close the Earthlink account over the phone right when you have a HN account working.

Open a new account, check pricing here www.hughesnet.com

You've got to be running over your limit constantly with all the activity. Sat internet is limited and the plans vary as to how much use you need, simply put more needed then more/month.

Yeah, that's probably not it then. While I'm not really familiar with satellite internet, your signal strength is real low for a regular satellite signal. I've been involved in several satellite system installs for friends and family, and I won't let them leave the house unless it's at least 75. I always tweak it afterwards, and mine is currently about 110.

Do you know if you've been FAP'ed from near the beginning. Many get sat internet and with the new speed FAP themselves without even knowing by downloading music videos and large files.

If you have used the HughesNet site for speed testing you had to use a site ID. Try the upgrade section and use this ID and see what results you get.

If you can't upgrade through the web site then buying a DW7000 modem is an option. You can probably close the Earthlink account over the phone right when you have a HN account working.

Open a new account, check pricing here www.hughesnet.com

You've got to be running over your limit constantly with all the activity. Sat internet is limited and the plans vary as to how much use you need, simply put more needed then more/month.

No, we haven't beed FAPd since the beginning... we just recently started getting FAPd and we aren't doing anything different than from before. We have had speed issues from the beginning. The first 6 months of the service, Stephen was on the phone with tech support more than we were on the internet trying to figure out why it wasn't working. We finally got in touch with The Reverend and he called me and walked me through setup... and that worked for a while, but not very long... I think HN figured out we were getting good speeds and pushed their CRAPPY button. We even asked if we were being FAPd and they said no...

I don't know where the upgrade section is, I will look, but I know I can't setup an account on their myway page, because I have tried before, won't let me because I go through Earthlink. I see pricing for a new account, but not just for an upgrade, so I guess we will call them. There is NO e-mail link anywhere on the site that I can find! lol

Thanks!

Steph

Yeah, that's probably not it then. While I'm not really familiar with satellite internet, your signal strength is real low for a regular satellite signal. I've been involved in several satellite system installs for friends and family, and I won't let them leave the house unless it's at least 75. I always tweak it afterwards, and mine is currently about 110.

How do you tweak it to get it to 110???

Steph

You don't even have satellite....so how could you have a signal of 110???  :?

No, we haven't beed FAPd since the beginning... we just recently started getting FAPd and we aren't doing anything different than from before. We have had speed issues from the beginning. The first 6 months of the service, Stephen was on the phone with tech support more than we were on the internet trying to figure out why it wasn't working. We finally got in touch with The Reverend and he called me and walked me through setup... and that worked for a while, but not very long... I think HN figured out we were getting good speeds and pushed their CRAPPY button. We even asked if we were being FAPd and they said no...

If your using a wireless try to eliminate it and use the PC you need hooked directly to the modem and do it for 24 hours if possible. Don't shut the modem down only the computer or laptop during this time. Do you know if someone is tapping into your network? With this happening recently it sounds like someone is.

Impossible to get a signal that high,110 , my highest is been 83 with a .74mdish.

In my experience, most installers will usually line the dish up with the satellite just good enough to get a usable signal, and call that good. If you go into the setup menu, there's a signal strength meter with a tone. Just loosen the dish slightly, go back and forth until you get the highest tone.Lock that down, and do the same for the up and down adjustment.Bear in mind, the only systems I'm familiar with are Dish and DirectTV, might not be the same for satellite internet.

In my experience, most installers will usually line the dish up with the satellite just good enough to get a usable signal, and call that good. If you go into the setup menu, there's a signal strength meter with a tone. Just loosen the dish slightly, go back and forth until you get the highest tone.Lock that down, and do the same for the up and down adjustment.Bear in mind, the only systems I'm familiar with are Dish and DirectTV, might not be the same for satellite internet.

Completely different, that's why they won't give you an account without the presence of an installer. Receive and transmit involved here.

here is the upgrade link.... you will need a site ID to check to see what you may be eligible for.  :smile2:

https://sf1.hns.com/upgrade/index.cfm

even if the upgrade is the way to go......would still figure out where the usage is coming from (virus, adware,bots,videos, thief outside logging onto your router)

unplug all PC's and wireless router even  if only for a 4-5hrs....then connect only one PC, do speed test on it, use it for awhile then check your usage on hughes net. (usually a few hours behind)

is router secured by a network key? and what security mode are you using?.....is it possible for anyone to be with in 300ft of your home using a laptop to access your network?

Non of what I do is really that hard. If you seldom clean or maintain your comp, then it takes forever. But if it is a daily ritual, it takes less than 5 minutes. And I am on for hours withut worries or slowdowns. Now if I am on for several hours, I need to disk clean once more, but it just became a regular habit. Kind of like brushing your teeth, it is just something you do. And yes for maybe $10 more a month you might well illiminate you problems with a bigger bucket. And by going with a 7000 you would also get higher U/L speeds. SO there are choices for you. The only reason I have not left the 6000 myself, is my solution is just a few blocks away, and I am waiting for it to get brought up the street. It is.2 miles from my house. Other wise I would be looking at a 7000 modem.  :grin2:

Good luck.

If your using a wireless try to eliminate it and use the PC you need hooked directly to the modem and do it for 24 hours if possible. Don't shut the modem down only the computer or laptop during this time. Do you know if someone is tapping into your network? With this happening recently it sounds like someone is.

Impossible to get a signal that high,110 , my highest is been 83 with a .74mdish.

We have tried that, the speed is still bad... and as far as someone tapping into our network... not possible, we have no neighbors.

Steph

here is the upgrade link.... you will need a site ID to check to see what you may be eligible for.  :smile2:

https://sf1.hns.com/upgrade/index.cfm

even if the upgrade is the way to go......would still figure out where the usage is coming from (virus, adware,bots,videos, thief outside logging onto your router)

unplug all PC's and wireless router even  if only for a 4-5hrs....then connect only one PC, do speed test on it, use it for awhile then check your usage on hughes net. (usually a few hours behind)

is router secured by a network key? and what security mode are you using?.....is it possible for anyone to be with in 300ft of your home using a laptop to access your network?

Apparently can't upgrade, get this message:

The Site ID you entered is not eligible for this upgrade program. Please contact your service provider for additional information.

Yes, the router is secure, and there really isn't any concern about someone stealing our internet... there isn't anyone out here! lol

Ok, anyone know any other high speed I can get out in the sticks in Missouri?? I really have had it with satellite... it has NEVER been high speed for us...

Steph

The only reason I have not left the 6000 myself, is my solution is just a few blocks away, and I am waiting for it to get brought up the street. It is.2 miles from my house. Other wise I would be looking at a 7000 modem.  :grin2:

Good luck.

I hear ya!! We can't get DSL because we are 400 FEET too far out!!! That is crazy!! There is a "hub" box or whatever it is called 1/2 a mile up the road from us... they say they install DSL unless they can GUARANTEE the speed...

Steph

I hear ya!! We can't get DSL because we are 400 FEET too far out!!! That is crazy!! There is a "hub" box or whatever it is called 1/2 a mile up the road from us... they say they install DSL unless they can GUARANTEE the speed...

Steph

Yeah, it really makes one wonder. I am willing to take 1.5 if that is all that will work. That would be cheap enough, and work till they get more power to it. For now just get me off this over priced satelite.  :angry: I would even give them my long distance, cell phone, sat T.V., etc... Just hook me  up.

Gorman seems to be the TCP authority....myself do not use it and get the advertised speeds, but some allow it helps.

Your speed test logs show your are getting decent speeds for a home plan...(other than when under FAP). Each PC will not get full speed on your connection while all users are downloading simultaneously. Do not expect to get 3MB connection with satellite unless you are prepared to shell out the greenbacks big time. The plans are readily available for SHO and business plans to provide much higher speeds, expect to have a triple bypass surgery when the bill comes.

I'm not sure what your home plan states as "up to" speed.....some mention a 500/50 plan as a basic deal. :cool2:

Gorman seems to be the TCP authority....myself do not use it and get the advertised speeds, but some allow it helps.

Your speed test logs show your are getting decent speeds for a home plan...(other than when under FAP). Each PC will not get full speed on your connection while all users are downloading simultaneously. Do not expect to get 3MB connection with satellite unless you are prepared to shell out the greenbacks big time. The plans are readily available for SHO and business plans to provide much higher speeds, expect to have a triple bypass surgery when the bill comes.

I'm not sure what your home plan states as "up to" speed.....some mention a 500/50 plan as a basic deal. :cool2:

So, 60 Kb is a good speed?? That is typical without FAP and with FAP 5Kb is typical...

I never said I thought I should have a 3M connection... only what is advertised. I have tried to upgrade, but apparently I can't... we tried to call Hughes directly last night, but after an hour on hold, we gave up... I did hte LiveChat via Earthlink and was "transferred" 3 times, was told to call the number, told them we were on hold for 6 hours the night before and they said they would have someone call us within 30 minutes... someone called allright... automated and we were on hold an hour and 15 minutes, then gave up. They won't open a trouble ticket for us still...

Seems as though you may have connection speeds confused with actual transfer speeds?

Because if your on a home plan...even with an (up to) 700Kbps connection speed advertised these are decent speeds your getting on the tests.

do a test eliminating the router....during peak hours the home connection will usually suffer the most, some do not experience the peak hour slow downs others do. During off peak hours 12am-6am you would  normally see your best scores and best pings. Like I said earlier.....if you want a bigger package call Hughes directly. You are already paying for the pro package. If you want a bundle deal DirecTv offers 10/month discount if you order through them the Hughes internet...in this case you could get the pro package for 59.99 after discounts.

Yes, I understand that those a good speeds... but what about the ones you didn't mark?? Like 9 kbps, 16, 18... I did try to call Hughes directly and they haven't called me back... we were on hold for over an hour and decided to leave a message. Do you know if i have to have the DW7000 to get the pro or pro plus plan? And how much the modem would be if I did have to upgrade?

Thanks,

Steph