Direcway - Hughesnet - Earthlink - whatever... help!

unitychild

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My guess, judgeing from the upload stats, is that someone is using P2P on your network.  Don't know if its your kids or you or whoever, but certain P2P apps, esp bit torrent, will wreak havoc on your router (if you don't have the firmware updated), and on the DW6000.

Unless you send a lot of large emails, or upload stuff to a website, your upload stats shouldn't be that high.  Also, you said that your system is grounded.  Is your transmitter grounded, or just the cables?  If there is a copper wire coming off of the arm on dish running into the ground, then that is probably not your problem, but it is good to check.

My guess, judgeing from the upload stats, is that someone is using P2P on your network.  Don't know if its your kids or you or whoever, but certain P2P apps, esp bit torrent, will wreak havoc on your router (if you don't have the firmware updated), and on the DW6000.

Unless you send a lot of large emails, or upload stuff to a website, your upload stats shouldn't be that high.  Also, you said that your system is grounded.  Is your transmitter grounded, or just the cables?  If there is a copper wire coming off of the arm on dish running into the ground, then that is probably not your problem, but it is good to check.

As far as I know nobody is using P2P. I do 3D art, and I upload big files sometimes to the online shop I sell them through, so that is probably the high upload. My husband does SecondLife and I think that might be where a lot of our download is coming from... I am thinking of getting him a 3G service from Cingular(AT&T) for his laptop. That should free up the bandwidth on the satellite. Hughes called us today, while we were at work and Stephen forgot his cell phone at home, so we will have to call them back. Stephen says everything is grounded correctly.

Steph

Look at the usage chart and the chart I posted with your speeds ... times/days when your getting the very low speeds.....its the FAP issue thats causing your low speeds. A FAP monitor may help you, but if your against the wall that often.....you need a bigger bucket. The bucket only fills back up at 50kbps....so if you continue to use it never fills back up.  :idea: 

You might actually ask when you get hughes on the phone about availability of an upgrade. I got different answers on mine. I just am not ready.

The TCP Optimizer did not hurt my connection speed. Anything else would be an argument.  :wink: And I simply used the Reverands settings.

It sounds like an upgrade on the FAP bucket would really be best.  :smile2:

Here I am being the only one in the house using the net right now:

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Download Connection is:: 824 Kbps about 0.8 Mbps (tested with 748 kB)

Download Speed is:: 101 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Server 1)

Test Time:: 2007/01/22 - 4:21pm

Bottom Line:: 14X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 10.14 sec

Tested from a 748 kB file and took 7.437 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: May need help : running at only 78.03 % of your hosts average (direcpc.com)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-0IM7N1T5R

User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; (ntdll); iebar; (R1 1.5); .NET CLR 1.1.4322) [!]

Not too bad, right? I'm still fed up with tech support/customer service though... they really treat their customers like crap! If I had any other option out here for high speed, I would be gone in a flash! I am still going to call Hughes and see if I can upgrade and switch to being directly with them.

Steph

You might actually ask when you get hughes on the phone about availability of an upgrade. I got different answers on mine. I just am not ready.

The TCP Optimizer did not hurt my connection speed. Anything else would be an argument.  :wink: And I simply used the Reverands settings.

It sounds like an upgrade on the FAP bucket would really be best.  :smile2:

What answers did you get in terms of price for an upgrade? I don't want to be stuck in a contract, since my contract has been up with Earthlink for quite some time and I am just on month to month...

Has anyone heard from the Reverend lately? I can't remember the settings he gave me and that was on my desktop which I don't have anymore! lol I still don't know what settings to use for TCP Optimizer...

I hate FAP by the way... like Stephen said, we pay way more than cable and they don't get FAPd!!!

Steph

No that is not too bad, especially for this time of day. That is not a bad idea. I had to go 15 months to get out of my contract. So like you said, try and ask them directly. Best wishes, and let us know how it turns out if you would. Thanks.  :grin2:

Here is the link. Post #1. http://www.testmy.net/forum/index.php?topic=1703.0

I would ask them directly to find out if a new contract is necessary. I don't remember. Try calling 1-866-825-4950. That is the number I use, in case it might be different.  :grin2:

OK first are you a resident of the US. One of our Canadian members found things to be different.

My expected wait time on the phone was 20 minutes to that number I gave you. So I will let you call. It appears the e-mail is jacked up at the moment, and that has them overloaded with calls. I wondered why it was messed up earlier.  :evil6:

You could get a business plan before with the 6000, but not anymore.  To get a business plan now, they'd force you to upgrade your dish, transmitter, and modem, plus sign a new contract to get it.  Your best bet, is to buy a used DW7000 off of ebay.  If you do, simply make sure that the old account was closed in good standing.  You could do this by getting the serial number from the seller, and calling Hughes sales to make sure you can swap.  A lot of folks have done this with success.

Bingo, turn them off and test again. Huge resource hogs.  Really.

Wow, that did help:

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Download Connection is:: 775 Kbps about 0.8 Mbps (tested with 748 kB)

Download Speed is:: 95 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Server 1)

Test Time:: 2007/01/22 - 9:36pm

Bottom Line:: 14X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 10.78 sec

Tested from a 748 kB file and took 7.906 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: May need help : running at only 73.46 % of your hosts average (direcpc.com)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-8GB0QRZLH

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.9) Gecko/20061206 Firefox/1.5.0.9 [!]

• 3 weeks later...

I recently upgraded to the 7000S with the 79.99/mo package. I have been much happier. I run three computers and two are wireless laptops. I just checked the speed on this wireless laptop at 1.5 MPS. But it can vary. Some days I am not happy with Hughes but I have no other choice. Really slow speeds indicate other problems in your computer. I recommend Nod32 antivirus and Spysweeper. Both are very unobtrusive. If you are running ANY Symantec or McAfee, get RID of it and you will see immediate improvement.

Unity-

I was in th exact same situation you were in and I requested a repoint, that is, someone came out and repointed my dish to a new satellite. I have had no problems since. Everyone, almost everyone, experiences some slowdown during peak hours, that can not not be avoided, but 9kbps is rediculous. I had similar speeds during peak hours until I got my repoint. Now my lowest speeds at any time is around 400 kbps which is acceptable.