Direcway - Hughesnet - Earthlink - whatever... help!

unitychild

I recently upgraded to the 7000S with the 79.99/mo package. I have been much happier. I run three computers and two are wireless laptops. I just checked the speed on this wireless laptop at 1.5 MPS. But it can vary. Some days I am not happy with Hughes but I have no other choice. Really slow speeds indicate other problems in your computer. I recommend Nod32 antivirus and Spysweeper. Both are very unobtrusive. If you are running ANY Symantec or McAfee, get RID of it and you will see immediate improvement.

I have AVG on two PC's and McAfee on another.....do not see any difference in speeds on any of the 3 PC's. If McAfee is so bad and no good...why is it always rated higher than AVG and many others?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have AVG on two PC's and McAfee on another.....do not see any difference in speeds on any of the 3 PC's. If McAfee is so bad and no good...why is it always rated higher than AVG and many others?

I agree. I have used them all and I think McAfee reigns supreme.

• 4 weeks later...

Well over a year ago we got satellite internet from Earthlink through DirecWay, which I guess is Hughesnet now... I am about at my wits end... it is just awful service and has been the whole time we have had it!  :angry: We have been on tech support so many times that WE tell them what we should do to fix the stuff before they can get it out of their mouth... unfortunately none of the fixes work for long at all... I think there is a switch with a couple of buttons that say GOOD SERVICE and BAD SERVICE and when you get on tech support with them they click the GOOD SERVICE button so that you THINK they have fixed the problem when really they haven't at all. I am so tired of SLOW speeds and being FAP'd. This is my current speed:

::::::::::.. Download Stats ..::::::::::

Download Connection is:: 9 Kbps about 0 Mbps (tested with 97 kB)

Download Speed is:: 1 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Server 1)

Test Time:: 2007/01/20 - 6:15pm

Bottom Line:: 0X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 1024 sec

Tested from a 97 kB file and took 89.468 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: May need help : running at only 0.85 % of your hosts average (direcpc.com)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-7VQZSK2PL

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.9) Gecko/20061206 Firefox/1.5.0.9

UM, hello... my DIALUP was better than that and it was awful!  :cry2: My husband has been on the phone with them for over 2 hours and has gotten transferred between departments about a dozen times...

Is there ANYTHING we can do to make this better??? Is there any other option available to us??? We live in the sticks and are 400 feet out too far for DSL, and we can't get cable. Is there a wireless internet option that you can use with a home computer? I already have t-mobile for my laptop, but that is not available for a desktop. HELP!! By the way, here is the test I did through the Hughesnet tester:

Speed: 9 (down) / 30 (up) Kbps

I don't know what to do anymore, but I am just so tired of paying $70 a month for crappy service and a 169 MB FAP!!!!

Steph

OMG!! Same thing here! I thought I was the only one!! ur is worse than mine but the customer service! totally the same!

They say I should be downloading at 500 - 955 kilobytes.... bullcrap!! are they insane??? :uglystupid2:

look:

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Download Connection is:: 639 Kbps about 0.6 Mbps (tested with 579 kB)

Download Speed is:: 78 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Server 1)

Test Time:: 2007/03/05 - 12:09pm

Bottom Line:: 11X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 13.13 sec

Tested from a 579 kB file and took 7.422 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: May need help : running at only 61.09 % of your hosts average (direcpc.com)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-U3F8GIL5S

User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; FDM; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; IEMB3; IEMB3) [!]

• 4 weeks later...

i know on mine if im running my wireless router as a wireless access point it runs slower but i put mine back to router and its running 1015 down and 136 up..i had lots of problems at first ...i gave up on customer service bull@@@@ and i went out and done it my self...i run a hn7000s modem with a buffalo router...and my signal is 86%...if you have a lap top take it to your sat..and tweak your dish to get a better signal strength..run rg6 quad shield wires from your dish to a ground block..then run rg6 quadshield wires to your modem...make sure your ground block is grounded to a ground rod...if you have any further problems let me know and i will try and help you with different things.

My brother upgraded to the HN7000s with the Pro Plus package and was only bouncing around 550 - 700 on the speed tests.  He even called Hughes to make sure everything has been switched to the Pro Plus package, but they assured him that he was running fine.  After several months of unhappiness, I talked him into trying TCP Optimizer and than CableNut.  I told him to give each a couple of days after he ran them.  He didn't have much luck with TCP, although I know many have, but he had better luck with CableNut.  Here is the file I sent him.  Now he consistently runs around 1700 - 2100.  I hear that tweaking does nothing for the 7000s, but when I remove the settings, I run like crap.  When I reinstall them, I run much better.  Maybe it's just dumb luck, but I'll take it.....