RIAA Letter

dlewis23

I just had to share this. i got this latter from the RIAA just a few minutes ago. They are talking about a song that was uploaded to my site before it was commmerically released. The only thing that i don't get is the file they are talking about was uploaded only 2hrs before i got the email, and was only downloaded 3 times how the hell did they find it that fast.

VIA E-MAIL

January 22, 2007

Uploadingit.com

Re:    ***

Dear Sir or Madam:

I am contacting you on behalf of the Recording Industry Association of America, Inc. (RIAA) and its member record companies.  The RIAA is a trade association whose member companies create, manufacture and distribute approximately ninety (90) percent of all legitimate sound recordings sold in the United States.  Under penalty of perjury, we submit that the RIAA is authorized to act on behalf of its member companies in matters involving the infringement of their sound recordings, including enforcing their copyrights and common law rights on the Internet. 

We believe your server is hosting the above-referenced file on its network.  This file offers a sound recording for download by the artist known as Fall Out Boy, which has not yet been commercially released.  We have a good faith belief that the above-described activity is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law.  We assert that the information in this notification is accurate, based upon the data available to us. 

We are asking for your immediate assistance in stopping this unauthorized activity.  Specifically, we request that you remove the infringing file from the system, or that you disable access to the infringing file, and that you inform the site operator of the illegality of his or her conduct.

You should understand that this letter constitutes notice to you that this site operator may be liable for the infringing activity occurring on your service.  In addition, under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, if you ignore this notice, you and/or your company may also be liable for any resulting infringement. This letter does not constitute a waiver of any right to recover damages incurred by virtue of any such unauthorized activities, and such rights as well as claims for other relief are expressly retained.

You may contact me at RIAA, 1025 F St., N.W., 10th Floor, Washington, D.C., 20004, Tel. (202) 775-0101, or e-mail [email protected], to discuss this notice.  We await your response.  Kind regards.

Sincerely,

Online Copyright Protection

RIAA

I just had to share this. i got this latter from the RIAA just a few minutes ago. They are talking about a song that was uploaded to my site before it was commmerically released. The only thing that i don't get is the file they are talking about was uploaded only 2hrs before i got the email, and was only downloaded 3 times how the hell did they find it that fast.

WOW :shocked:

Try to find out who did it and get rid of it :knuppel2:

-----------------------------------------------------------

Damn that was fast, and why the hell , would they even know to scan for that song (not even released), unless they knew someone had either stolen it , or pardon me setting you up?

Given your domain name of 'uploadingit.com', I believe that the RIAA most likely had your site listed pretty high on their list of sites to scan for copyrighted material from, which would likely make it scanned much more frequently than, say, iloveflowersandbunnies.com (my site - j/k).  Given the appropriate resources and several clusters of servers, it's not too unlikely that you could be contacted automatically in such a short timeframe.  With a website, it's very very easy to track down a contact person immediately; however, with peer to peer networks, the RIAA has to jump through quite a few hoops just to get the same info on someone sharing a song, so they're going to have a good amount of resources dedicated to finding the easiest violators to find.

Music is leaked all the time, sometimes weeks before it is released.  When the last Audioslave album came out, it was on the net weeks in advance.

I personally am more concerned that someone is a fan of Fall Out Boy......

ghostmaster <----shudders

Then again, I can understand why somone wouldn't want to pay for that crap, personally I wouldn't take it for free........

Music is leaked all the time, sometimes weeks before it is released.  When the last Audioslave album came out, it was on the net weeks in advance.

I personally am more concerned that someone is a fan of Fall Out Boy......

ghostmaster <----shudders

Then again, I can understand why somone wouldn't want to pay for that crap, personally I wouldn't take it for free........

:iamwithstupid: